Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered solar panels yesterday.

Have wanted to do for a long time. What made it possible with my finances (health care support worker) was the financing. £27 a month over ten years (after allowing for a minimum fit income - Hanergy stand behind this minimum and say they will make up the difference in the unlikely event of a shortfall).

I will be paying a lot of interest - the 12 panel system costs £3,900 cash but £5,600 with the interest. But no penalties for early repayment.

And after 10 years should have a good few more years of "free" energy.

Now to return to those threads about trickle charging your Leaf from Solar alone.....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do!

Was keen to support Ikea (albeit indirectly through Hanergy) as they have been so quick to support ev charging.

Also have a lot of trust in the brand. Which while I still did my due diligence made it easier to jump....and not resist the push of the salesman saying "now if I could just have your card" for the £100 surveyors fee! (taken off the cost as you proceed).

The salesman seem to really know their stuff. Be warned, hard to resist....if you go into their lair to find out more you may well find yourself a customer...;)

(I did!)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Well done Steve.

You'll enjoy your panels and what they can bring to the table, although I cannot fail to spot the irony that you did this Bank Holiday Monday - the worst day of 2014 for generation :)

Regards trickle charging the LEAF then remember that your EVSE operates at 10A so you'll need to be generating a full 2kWh in order to get totally free charging.

If you stump up £360 then NuWorld Energy have an EVSE which can run at 6A. That'll take quite a few full charge cycles to justify the cost.

Is this a 3kWh that Hanergy are popping on your lid?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Regards trickle charging the LEAF then remember that your EVSE operates at 10A so you'll need to be generating a full 2kWh in order to get totally free charging.
Nearer 2.4kW really to get it completely free. This is currently a problem for me because I only have a 2kW system so I can never charge the car completely free from my solar. When I move house my new system will be bigger so I may be able to do so then.

BTW Just so people don't get confused... power is measured as kW... not kWh. Sorry to pick up on this but it can get confusing for newbies if we use the wrong terminology :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks but we have solar on our existing home and have done for 3 years. We have found no reluctance at all when selling our house from prospective buyers. In fact the complete opposite! It has been a source of interest and positive discussion from everyone that has viewed. I would have no worries about installing solar again and we will be doing so asap after moving in at the new place.

Now, if you don't own your solar system outright then yes I could see there being big problems when you go to sell.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That finance deal is quite interesting, most people could manage 27 pcm . My panels have been great and produced way more than quoted output (sunny herne bay !) , my only warning is don't take too much notice of the promised savings on your electricity bill as that part was hugely optimistic. You would have to be very disciplined to use your high power items only when the sun is shining and i think economy 7 would give a better financial saving if you do a lot of ev miles.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yes Paul - the "free solar" option really is something for the "forever house". In a way it's a bit like a battery lease plan for a Zoe - makes resale trickier!

At the moment I am trying to negotiate a "free solar" deal where I shall be the investor - but then I expect to inherit that house in the (hopefully distant) future

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I have a 4kW array that's been on my roof for 4 years now. Cost me a fortune to install (13k), but I get the old (higher) FiT payments. The income from the panels covers more than I spend on electricity, wood and oil put together!
That said because I have 32a charger and Zoe takes 7kw, the best I can get on a sunny day is to match my overnight economy 7 tariff.

Reactions: kentish zoe

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Prices are interesting...

I paid £10K for my 2kW (2.4kWp of panels) system 3 years ago. My FiT is about 48p/kWh.

Now a similar system would be about £2,800 but the FiT is approx 15p/kWh

Price reduction is 72% in 3 years.

FiT reduction is 68%.

So it is about the same time to break even now as it was 3 years ago. That is pretty good IMO.

So, in my opinion, if it was good to install solar 3 years ago then not much has changed.

Now, all I need to do is find a reliable installer in the south-west... our last one was rubbish!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Ok fellas

On the subject of E7 - I want to have this for the LEAF. Suggestions please on a company to whom I can switch that will install the meter for free and offer lowest night time rate

TA
Don't know about a free meter but I would choose Ecotricity or Good Energy... they aren't the cheapest but they both supply electricity from renewables. I am sure you can afford a few extra pounds to get 100% green energy and if you go Ecotricity then you would be supporting the company that has done more for EVs in the UK than anyone else.

We are on E7 from Ecotricity. Love them. Wouldn't swap for all the tea in china :)

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I'm with good energy and when I told them that I wanted E7 because I'd got an EV, they offered so waive the £40 fee. Can't say fairer than that!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts