Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Is it Tesla..? I can't see anything identifying. Interesting if it is, have they done a tie up with Sainsburys? that would give them access to a LOT of locations, presumably with good on site power provision!

Reactions: Doug Neal

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely an SC cabinet. I'll see if I can grab a clearer picture a bit later.

My colleague who works in the area and visits the Sainsbury's most days tells me that they have had signs up announcing upcoming EV charging facilities, so there may be other systems in the offing too.

It's not a bad location for it; 10 minutes off the M4 and just off the M32.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Yes definitely a supercharger cabinet which will power 2 Model S charging bays.

There've been persistent rumours about Tesla having done deals with Sainsburys and possibly also Tesco, so this make sense.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Superchargers are built and paid for by Tesla (including all the electricity - they're free to use for life).

Currently the only car that can use them is the Tesla Model S but Tesla have said that if any other EV manufacturer wants to join the network they're welcome to do so, as long as they build cars that have sufficient capacity to use them, and use the same free-for-life model.

(of course when I say "free" what I mean is that the purchase price of the car includes a fee - rumoured to be around $2000 - covering lifetime use of the supercharger network).

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Yes definitely a supercharger cabinet which will power 2 Model S charging bays.

There've been persistent rumours about Tesla having done deals with Sainsburys and possibly also Tesco, so this make sense.
Every little helps...

I'll get my coat.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Superchargers are built and paid for by Tesla (including all the electricity - they're free to use for life).

Currently the only car that can use them is the Tesla Model S but Tesla have said that if any other EV manufacturer wants to join the network they're welcome to do so, as long as they build cars that have sufficient capacity to use them, and use the same free-for-life model.

(of course when I say "free" what I mean is that the purchase price of the car includes a fee - rumoured to be around $2000 - covering lifetime use of the supercharger network).
There is also a program that allows other charge point vendors to locate their chargers with superchargers, @Kevin Sharpe was telling me a while back he was discussing putting zero carbon world chargers at SC sites as part of this program.

Not sure if this is still the case though.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
So superchargers are tesla only?
Yes, they're paid for in the purchase price of an S85 or an optional chargeable upgrade on an S60. They kick out up to 130kw, so would be far too powerful for the battery of any other EV on the market, and have a non-standard connector.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Yes, they're paid for in the purchase price of an S85 or an optional chargeable upgrade on an S60. They kick out up to 130kw, so would be far too powerful for the battery of any other EV on the market, and have a non-standard connector.
They are Type-2 just wired differently, they must throttle based on the car plugged in because a 60 charges more slowly than an 85...

...so maybe (and I suspect politically rather than technically this is unlikely) a Merc, B class could use one, as they have Tesla electronics ;)

For the sake of completeness it's an £1800 upgrade on a 60 (£2300 after delivery). What the £500 premium is for I'm not sure if it is truly an OTA as has been hinted at on the US forums.

If they do roll these out to Sainsbury's across the WHOLE country, rather than just near high ownership densities, it will go some way to changing my view on upgrading my car to be SC enabled. (CHAdeMO adapter would still be the biggest selling point as we stand today.)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The plug on a Supercharger is not a Type 2 plug. The socket on a Model S is not a Type 2 socket. They are both based on the Type 2 plug and socket, but they're not the same. The pins are longer and fatter, and the socket is deeper, to create a greater contact area and allow more current.

It's very cleverly designed so that the non-standard socket on the Model S can still accept a standard Type 2 plug. But you could not plug the supercharger cable into a standard Type 2 socket for example on another model of EV.

And you really wouldn't want to since the pinout is completely different and the 4 pins designated in the Type 2 standard to be for 3 phase AC are instead repurposed and used for very high current DC. Roughly 350V @ 350A.

And the signaling and authentication protocol between the car and charger look nothing like Type 2 signaling.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
The plug on a Supercharger is not a Type 2 plug. The socket on a Model S is not a Type 2 socket. They are both based on the Type 2 plug and socket, but they're not the same. The pins are longer and fatter, and the socket is deeper, to create a greater contact area and allow more current.

It's very cleverly designed so that the non-standard socket on the Model S can still accept a standard Type 2 plug. But you could not plug the supercharger cable into a standard Type 2 socket for example on another model of EV.

And you really wouldn't want to since the pinout is completely different and the 4 pins designated in the Type 2 standard to be for 3 phase AC are instead repurposed and used for very high current DC. Roughly 350V @ 350A.

And the signaling and authentication protocol between the car and charger look nothing like Type 2 signaling.
Thanks for the clarification.

I understood the pin-out changed based on signalling, didn't realise they physically wouldn't connect. :cool:

Will be interesting to see if a Merc B class owner can physically connect the car to a Tesla SC. Tempted to test drive one when the local MB dealership get's them in for demo... only issue is the nearest SC is still not close enough for the round trip ;)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The Tesla connectors are a really elegant solution since they're basically backwards compatible with Type 2.

Rather makes a mockery of CCS where they added more pins to make a horribly bulky connector but still didn't get anywhere near the power level that the Tesla connectors can handle!

It would be amazing if other manufacturers would consider using it, but I won't be holding my breath...

·
Registered
631 Posts
It would be terribly short sighted if they installed just Superchargers there, I'd be mighty pee'd off if this is the case, to the point where I'll stop shopping at Sainsburys (this is my local branch too)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
The Tesla connectors are a really elegant solution since they're basically backwards compatible with Type 2.

Rather makes a mockery of CCS where they added more pins to make a horribly bulky connector but still didn't get anywhere near the power level that the Tesla connectors can handle!

It would be amazing if other manufacturers would consider using it, but I won't be holding my breath...
I agree, very well thought out, and I love the pragmatism!

I agree the CCS is crazy, but I guess there's a lot of money washing around for future licencing revenues for the winners of the "standards" wars, The CEO of Mennekes has been smarmying up to Merkel, as no doubt have the Porsche-Piech family to drive stuff through.

My speculation of the Mercedes is based on the fact they basically lifted the drivetain and power electronics from an S to create the B Class. We know they use the same chargers power electronics, and motors. Did they use the same connector? Who knows...

Long term Tesla (IMHO) need to move from a car manufacturer to a network supplier to justify their market cap. Can they outrun the CCS/CHAdeMO brigade to get there ? Only time will tell, but they are making a good stab of it!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
It would be terrible short sighted if they installed just Superchargers there, I'd be mighty pee'd off if this is the case, to the point where I'll stop shopping at Sainsburys (this is my local branch too)
When they could instead install OverChargeMaster points? ;)

But trying to be non short sighted about this and less flippant, if they did put in any of the other RFID based suppliers... in a years time when they start ramping up the kWh costs they'd sit idle (if they weren't broken) because why would you pay extra to use a supermarket car park which is very likely to be close to your home charger if your there long enough to do a weekly shop ?

There's an ASDA (with EV charging) then Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons (no EV charging) all within miles from my house, do I go out of my way to go to Asda for my weekly shop? nope

So it has zero impact on my choice now, if they charged for the electricity even less so.

The writing is on the wall that BEVs are going to get longer ranges, and freebie charging is on the way out.

If I could drive from here to any city in the UK, and find an SC at a Sainsbury's would I stop and grab a coffee? For sure.

It wouldn't be my first choice of location (Ecotricity have that sewn up), but it's a neat solution for Sainsbury's who will get those travelling long distances to bypass a services and buy a coffee and pre-packaged sandwich at big mark-up, and to Tesla who get broader coverage,

So I think it's a shrewd long term move.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Just out of interest, would Tesla owners really be shopping at Tesco (as was mentioned higher up). Sainsbury's I can just about see, however, I suspect Waitrose is more in keeping :eek:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts