Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
They missed the point a bit though. It's not parking workout plugging in that's causing frustration, it's the misuse of a rapid charger.

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
They missed the point a bit though. It's not parking workout plugging in that's causing frustration, it's the misuse of a rapid charger.
.....misuse? Using it to charge? I think a Model S is still taking more power than an Outlander PHEV, so isn't the outlander misusing it? Once/if Tesla release the Chademo adapter the S will be pulling far more power than a Leaf, does that mean the Leaf will be misusing the charger??

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
654 Posts
The tesla is currently unable to rapid charge. It has to use is own propriety charge point. So it shouldn't be using a rapid charger.

It will be interesting to see what a tesla owner will say when they find a leaf parked at a super charger.

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
The tesla is currently unable to rapid charge. It has to use is own propriety charge point. So it shouldn't be using a rapid charger. BANNED!

It will be interesting to see what a tesla owner will say when they find a leaf parked at a super charger.
By all accounts the Zoe charges at 22kw, same as a Model S, should we ban Zoe's? And what about those outlanders? They only charge at about 50 amps, that's about 20kw.

If a Leaf was USING a supercharger then I think the Tesla driver would say "oh, look at that funny little car using the chargers, what is it?" Shortly before they said "oh, look at that, the funny little car is on fire". If a Leaf was just parked at a supercharger id expect them to think "oh look at that cock in their stupid old fashioned car, get with the programme"

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
And then there is the whole discussion about whether or not a PHEV should even be using a rapid charger at all...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Try remembering that when you're waiting for two hours to get a ten minute charge.

If a car can't rapid charge, it shouldn't be using a rapid charger.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Try remembering that when you're waiting for two hours to get a ten minute charge.

What draw do you class as rapid so we know which cars to ban and when to unplug our LEAFs?

What about cars that can't pull 6/7 kWh from fast chargers, should they be banned too?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tesla is currently unable to rapid charge. It has to use is own propriety charge point. So it shouldn't be using a rapid charger.

so there is a defintion of rapid charger that we are unaware of ?

I can draw 22kw from a Ecotricity in a sustained fashion for a few hours.
If you look at a leaf it will draw 50kw for a few mins then begin to taper off
So if completely flat the leaf will fill up in about 80 minutes drawing 24kwh
My Tesla will draw about similar levels in the same time, so why shouldnt I use the raid chargers ?

With regards to the supercharger, yes I would be annoyed since it cant use them

·
Registered
307 Posts

Until Ecotricity put out that statement and back it up with new rfid cards for specific evs, then any ev charging at rapids is fair game.

It's is shit having to wait but that's life.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
...and this would not matter if there were 'enough' charging points.

And, unless the charging point has some terms and conditions regarding who can and can't draw electricity from it, there are no such terms and conditions that any user can use to justify getting cross with another user.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I never said certain cars can't use the rapid chargers, I said the frustration isn't about Tesla parked and not charging but about Teslas using a rapid charge point as a fast charge point.

It is fair game, but frustrating never the less.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What draw do you class as rapid so we know which cars to ban and when to unplug our LEAFs?

What about cars that can't pull 6/7 kWh from fast chargers, should they be banned too?
Seems a bit harsh to ban them, whatever yanks your chain I guess.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never said certain cars can't use the rapid chargers, I said the frustration isn't about Tesla parked and not charging but about Teslas using a rapid charge point as a fast charge point.

Tesla's dont use them as fast charge points they draw power in a different way to a leaf but over a given period of time will draw the same amount as a leaf, yes in a very short burst say 10 minutes the leaf may draw a few KW more but over about 1 hour they draw almost exactly the same amount.

So why is one classed as rapid and the other as fast in your eyes ?

I can understand you getting frustrated if you need to charge and the tesla is there for a few hours but this is a very rare occurrence and as superchargers get rolled out will only decrease.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
A rapid charger is for up to half hour slots, if a car is there for hours, it's not rapid. Look at all the press etc for proof as they all mention the half hour figure, coupled with the fact that the rapid cooling system starts to fail soon after this time.

The normal EVs are a lot more common and yet rarely block each other. There's just a couple hundred Teslas and they block as much as the rest. That's because of the time they take to charge. Image if the Tesla's take off like they plan. You would only be able to charge if you're lucky as most of the time there will be a Tesla on them.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Old ground this, but....

I would not object to a model S using an Ecotricity rapid charger. It adds to the data that they are needed. This may help lead to more infrastructure for all. It increases visibility of ev's to the public perhaps leading to new sales.

I would HOPE that a Model S driver is sensitive to the fact that what distinguishes them from other cars is that they can charge for 4 hours. And I would hope that they choose to use this resource only when they need to in this interim period till superchargers are wide spread. That if they find themselves needing to use the rapid charger for 4 hours - hard to imagine on our little island unless you are visiting from overseas - they try to find ways to share the resource so that an ev needing a shorter charge will not need to wait four hours for their half hour or less charge. I would hope this would be the case. But will not blame or judge them if they don't.

Again, this is an interim period. That bit of the overlap of the Venn diagram where Model S cars are on the road but the supercharger network is not complete.

Elon Musk has not ruled out other ev's using superchargers in the future - if they share the costs. Nissan are planning battery packs with a larger energy density. Things will level off.

And personally I am DELIGHTED that we are able to have this debate. That there are enough ev's on the road to start having queues! WHOOP! :))

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to say. I said they shouldn't be using rapid charger but you think this is a ban?

Do you have another humorous picture than can elucidate?
So they shouldn't be using it, but they shouldn't be banned from using it. That doesn't strike me as a very clear policy for operating a charge network, on a sort of honour and mutual understanding system.

A rapid charger is for up to half hour slots
Never seen this signage at any rapid charger or any charging provider websites, the chargers certainly let me go on for longer with my LEAF (thank heavens).

if a car is there for hours, it's not rapid.
If I plug in a 13 amp socket for 30 minutes is that rapid?

Look at all the press etc for proof as they all mention the half hour figure...
Look at the press and I doubt we'd be driving EVs at all, horrible slow unworkable things they are. ;) The 30 minute figure is a nonsense in my opinion.

I'll have to agree to disagree on this one because I'm not coming round to your point of view (I know you're far from being alone in it) and you're not going to come round to mine either. And this one keeps on coming up over and over. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts