Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
I strongly suspect the same is true for many manufacturing industries that are impacted by the pandemic, problems relating to chip supplies, the war in Ukraine, energy price rises etc. Most companies seem to choose not to make their financial issues public though, not sure if Musk is wise to be so upfront about Tesla losses, TBH. Wouldn't be the first time he's made statements that end up seriously impacting things like the share price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Until a new factory ramps up of course it's going to be losing money, it's design to be profitable above a certain production rate. That's true of any factory, not just Tesla. But that's all factored in when you build a new factory.

Parts shortages is another matter and the semiconductor shortage is real and impacting many industries including auto manufacturing and charger manufacturing,with many semiconductor vendors having default 52 week lead times on parts and doing allocations on any stock that does come in but again, that won't be unique to Tesla.

The implications on existing factory shutdowns due to COVID lockdowns is obvious and had a huge impact especially on any Shanghai based industries, of which Tesla was one of very very many, including my own semiconductor industry.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That interview was from 3 weeks ago, lazy YouTubers sat on it for weeks and drip-fed the interview out for no reason other than some power trip.

What was true three weeks ago has probably changed since.
Very unusual to get anything real-time from CEOs and board members of listed companies. Even annual reports and trading updates have dated information. But if the new factories lost billions of dollars, that is unlikely to have changed drastically in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very unusual to get anything real-time from CEOs and board members of listed companies. Even annual reports and trading updates have dated information. But if the new factories lost billions of dollars, that is unlikely to have changed drastically in 3 weeks.
He was speaking very specifically at that point in time, actually, listen to what he said.

Of course, any factory that hasn't ramped up production is losing money. For example, Berlin produced 1k cars in a week, announced 5 days ago, 3 weeks ago that number would have been far lower.

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
233 Posts
I'm pretty sure 1000 per week is no where near break even point, even with the current insanely high prices. I imagine the factory has been designed for 400k+ per year with easy upgrade options to increase capacity to 1m per year.

·
Rosemary
142 Posts
I strongly suspect the same is true for many manufacturing industries that are impacted by the pandemic, problems relating to chip supplies, the war in Ukraine, energy price rises etc. Most companies seem to choose not to make their financial issues public though, not sure if Musk is wise to be so upfront about Tesla losses, TBH. Wouldn't be the first time he's made statements that end up seriously impacting things like the share price.
Mr Musk is a very smart cookie.

·
Journeyman Human
587 Posts
Are they actually "losing" or just "not making"
It would be more accurate to use "costing" at the moment whilst in the ramping phase. It's perfectly normal, as usual they try to twist and mis-represent something Elon says. Once ramped, these will be amongst the most profitable factories of any kind in the world.

·
Journeyman Human
587 Posts
I find it hard to feel sorrow for any disruption to the business empire of multi-billionaire Elon Musk…
It's not just Elon, there are plenty of us lesser TSLA investors as well and we don't need any of your sorrow thanks, so that's just fine. Oh, and you're welcome by the way, for the EV you drive that wouldn't exist at all had Tesla not forced the industry to move direction. ;)

·
Journeyman Human
587 Posts
Tanking share prices for stock buy back. Not the first time he has manipulated stock and wont be the last
That's just BS, Tesla has never done a share buy back.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
880 Posts
Oh, and you're welcome by the way, for the EV you drive that wouldn't exist at all had Tesla not forced the industry to move direction. ;)
BS

Nissan LEAF predates any mass production Tesla cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts