Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I put a deposit down on a white/red 2020 First Edition Soul EV yesterday, buying
from TMS Leicester. I’ve been driving EV’s for 6 1/2 years. Currently have the MG ZS EV.

I pick up in a couple of weeks.

Are there any accessories that you recommend?

The GOM was on 219 miles at around 93%, which felt low. On my test drive which was very mixed driving I achieved 4.6 miles/kWh. So much more efficient than my ZS. I was wondering why the GOM was so low.

it has the speed limit -1mph issue on the HUD (which is great) which was amusing. Ride felt great. Road noise no worse my my MG. My work gear fitted in the boot. As the cost to change was acceptable and the monthly about the same as what I’m currently paying, it was hard not to say no!

I love the shape and the colour is growing on me. I’m looking forward to having a car where all the EV bits are integrated. The MG is a great car, but the software side is woefully poor. I could have waited for the soon to be released ZS EV facelift, but I can’t imagine that it would still be able to compare with this Soul.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems to be the white and red are the only ones in stock at the moment.
It was the only colour our dealer could get. Just waiting for dealer to confirm when they are ready to collect.

From what I've read here, believe the -1 issue is fixed on the latest software / firmware so I would get the dealer to update before collection.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have just done a 165 mile motorway trip and I did a little bit of experimenting with the GOM. For the first 50 miles, the motorway was heavily speed limited (40/50 and 60 with cameras) which I kept to. Range was pretty accurate. I then sped up considerably. The range became a little optimistic and then suddenly dropped such that I had to slow back down to 60 to get home (I started with less than 100%)!
My conclusion was that the range estimate is pretty crude and looks back a certain time period of driving for the calculation. If you change driving speed quickly, it takes a while to "catch-up".
Consequently your estimate at 93% will largely reflect how it has been driven previously until it catches up with your driving speed/style.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
It has been discussed here a number of times: the battery % display is not linear due to the way batteries work.

But I have been so far very happy with the range and GOM.

To the OP, you seem to have a firmware from the middle of last year, so strongly ask the dealership to update it to the latest version before collection. It will solve the wrong speed limit bug.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to be the white and red are the only ones in stock at the moment.
It was the only colour our dealer could get. Just waiting for dealer to confirm when they are ready to collect.

From what I've read here, believe the -1 issue is fixed on the latest software / firmware so I would get the dealer to update before collection.
This is second hand. Ex Kia Head Office vehicle.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,571 Posts
GOM value will be low because it’s been hooned around… be sure the tyres are still good!

My Niro shows over 300 on a full charge at the moment. Though I almost never drive at “motorway speeds”.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My soul shows 330 on a full charge atm.....The test drive vehicle showed 220 miles at 100% ...it's reliable enough to give you no range anxiety yet scope for a small improvement.
Overall after 4k I have averaged 4.8miles per kw/hr though that would be higher if I didn't leave it switched on when I have my lunch breaks...hehe .. my app shows that its been idle for over a third of the time its been running. ...and that is not without a bit of brisk driving too.

I am very impressed with its range predictions.. I know I can do 300 miles on one charge every time, with everything on and still have 10% in hand for detours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

I put a deposit down on a white/red 2020 First Edition Soul EV yesterday, buying
from TMS Leicester. I’ve been driving EV’s for 6 1/2 years. Currently have the MG ZS EV.

I pick up in a couple of weeks.

Are there any accessories that you recommend?

The GOM was on 219 miles at around 93%, which felt low. On my test drive which was very mixed driving I achieved 4.6 miles/kWh. So much more efficient than my ZS. I was wondering why the GOM was so low.

it has the speed limit -1mph issue on the HUD (which is great) which was amusing. Ride felt great. Road noise no worse my my MG. My work gear fitted in the boot. As the cost to change was acceptable and the monthly about the same as what I’m currently paying, it was hard not to say no!

I love the shape and the colour is growing on me. I’m looking forward to having a car where all the EV bits are integrated. The MG is a great car, but the software side is woefully poor. I could have waited for the soon to be released ZS EV facelift, but I can’t imagine that it would still be able to compare with this Soul. View attachment 148028
My initial thoughts are 1. rubber mats, 2. Speed cam, 3. Frunk

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have ordered a rear boot liner. Mats to follow.
I have a Nextbase 522GW front & rear dash cam. Just need to fit now.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s arrived…

I drove 47 miles home & used 16%. M1 at 70 mph, plus across country.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today mixture of A roads & motorway, stuck at 60mph…

I used 41% to drive 117 miles today. 4.7miles/kWh average In Normal, climate on auto, driver only & mostly regen 3 with a featherlight foot., or using SCC. That equates to around 280 odd miles, so WTLP is achievable. I’m happy.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
798 Posts
Today mixture of A roads & motorway, stuck at 60mph…

I used 41% to drive 117 miles today. 4.7miles/kWh average In Normal, climate on auto, driver only & mostly regen 3 with a featherlight foot., or using SCC. That equates to around 280 odd miles, so WTLP is achievable. I’m happy.

View attachment 148662
Thats good to hear, shows promise..
I pick my blue Soul 1st edition up from TMS Leicester in 2 weeks time, looking forward to trying for 300 mile target ☺..

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats good to hear, shows promise..
I pick my blue Soul 1st edition up from TMS Leicester in 2 weeks time, looking forward to trying for 300 mile target ☺..
It’s a far cry from my first EV, which was a challenge to join the 100 mile club!

Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
798 Posts
It’s a far cry from my first EV, which was a challenge to join the 100 mile club!
Yep, same here, had a 2014 leaf & never did reach the magic 100 mile club in that, got close but chickened out with dashes showing on the GOM after 95 miles 😬 Things have moved on so much in last yr or 2..

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, same here, had a 2014 leaf & never did reach the magic 100 mile club in that, got close but chickened out with dashes showing on the GOM after 95 miles 😬 Things have moved on so much in last yr or 2..
My car & wife’s Leaf 24

·
Registered
798 Posts
My car & wife’s Leaf 24
Picked mine up on Wednesday & so far looking at around 290 range without driving like miss daisy, 50% used so far & 4.5 mi/kWh, how do they make a heavy brick so efficient 😆
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Blue
Line Font Vehicle Auto part Gadget
Gadget Audio equipment Font Electronic device Display device

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked mine up on Wednesday & so far looking at around 290 range without driving like miss daisy, 50% used so far & 4.5 mi/kWh, how do they make a heavy brick so efficient 😆
View attachment 149368
View attachment 149369
View attachment 149370
That is quite a low average speed, so not surprising the high economy.

This is what the latest update shows as the economy. It is not correct! Well, at least it doesn’t match the accumulated total for that day….

This was a little faster average speed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, was stuck in traffic quite a bit but when I was moving it was 50 to 70mph keeping up with the traffic so actual speed when I was moving was pretty good.. Currently trying to work out which driving modes I get best from for my driving style but so far the auto regen setting seems to be slightly better...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts