Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking to purchase an electric car. I have no idea as to the upkeep of these vehicles. Eg. What are their common faults? Where do you normally source parts aside from the stealers?

Thanks!

Amir

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hello!

There was a post here saying that, essentially, there doesn't appear to be any real EV-common faults or problems we've seen develop yet. So fingers crossed it will stay that way. Also most EVs are still in warranty, so any faults should be well looked after.

Are you looking at any particular EV or shortlist of EVs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a no brainer to go electric then?!

Are the dealers really willing to help out that much?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello!

There was a post here saying that, essentially, there doesn't appear to be any real EV-common faults or problems we've seen develop yet. So fingers crossed it will stay that way. Also most EVs are still in warranty, so any faults should be well looked after.

Nothing specific as yet. Just a general interest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello!

How long are the warranties usually? What sort of faults tend to occur?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
It can all be very confusing when you first start looking at an EV. I certainly found there is a whole new language to learn.

This site is a brilliant resource though so read as much as you can.

You will need to decide what type of EV suits your driving pattern best?

E-REV (or Rex), BEV or PHEV. See what I mean about language??

Derek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can all be very confusing when you first start looking at an EV. I certainly found there is a whole new language to learn.

This site is a brilliant resource though so read as much as you can.

You will need to decide what type of EV suits your driving pattern best?

E-REV (or Rex), BEV or PHEV. See what I mean about language??

Derek
No idea what those mean! I'll be doing mostly town driving.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
First question I would ask. Do you have off road parking to install a charger. With out this I would find it hard to recommend EV's at this moment in time.

Secondly will this be you main car in the household. Or do you have access to a petrol/diesel also?

What would be your daily commute to work and back home?

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
E-Rev is Extended Range Electric Vehicle (Vauxhall Ampera/Chevrolet Volt)
ReX is Range Extended (BMW i3)
BEV is Battery Electric Vehicle (Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev, Peugeot Ion, Citroen C-Zero, Renault Zoe, Tesla Model S & Roadster, Smart ED, Renault Fluence, Renault Kangoo, BMW i3 with more to come)
PHEV is Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (Toyota PiP Prius, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV)

Hope that helps,

Derek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Off road-yes for the moment. But only one space and so i would have to park my other car on the road. (I thought they plugged into a wall socket?-what will I need to install exactly and how easy is this?)

It won't be the main car for now. Perhaps in the future- depends on my experience I suppose.

Daily commute-approx 8 miles town driving most days but some days 50 plus each way mostly motor way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
E-Rev is Extended Range Electric Vehicle (Vauxhall Ampera/Chevrolet Volt)
ReX is Range Extended (BMW i3)
BEV is Battery Electric Vehicle (Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev, Peugeot Ion, Citroen C-Zero, Renault Zoe, Tesla Model S & Roadster, Smart ED, Renault Fluence, Renault Kangoo, BMW i3 with more to come)
PHEV is Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (Toyota PiP Prius, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV)

Hope that helps,

Derek
So the BEVs are purely battery powered. The rest are hybrids?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Off road-yes for the moment. But only one space and so i would have to park my other car on the road. (I thought they plugged into a wall socket?-what will I need to install exactly and how easy is this?)

It won't be the main car for now. Perhaps in the future- depends on my experience I suppose.

Daily commute-approx 8 miles town driving most days but some days 50 plus each way mostly motor way.
Yes EV's do plug into wall socket but this is only recommended for occasional use. Ideally it is best to install a dedicated charging station for your car. Using this charging station is also faster than a wall socket.

An EV is perfect for town driving but when you say some days you will travel 50 miles each way. This would not be possible at the moment in most EV's with out rapid charging on the motorway as the LEAF for example has a range of 80-100 miles. A rapid charge will quickly charge the car from 0% to 80% I'm 30mins.

Check out www.zap-map.com for locations of charge stations.

·
1,324 Posts

Most can plug into a wall socket (13A) however take varying degrees longer to charge than a dedicated home charging station. Plenty of choice for charging station although final choice will be dictated by your chosen car.

An 8 mile daily commute will easily be handled by any BEV. Dependent on how often your 100 mile return journeys are will dictate whether an E-Rev of Rex may suit you better.

Derek

·
1,324 Posts
So the BEVs are purely battery powered. The rest are hybrids?
The E-REV and ReX are not "Hybrids" as you may know them (i.e. Prius) in that the petrol engines are used as generators rather than driving the wheels (except in extreme full power situations in the Ampera/Volt).

The PHEV are traditional hybrids with larger battery packs to give longer EV range. The PiP has about 15 mile range, the new Outlander about 30.

Derek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes EV's do plug into wall socket but this is only recommended for occasional use. Ideally it is best to install a dedicated charging station for your car. Using this charging station is also faster than a wall socket.

An EV is perfect for town driving but when you say some days you will travel 50 miles each way. This would not be possible at the moment in most EV's with out rapid charging on the motorway as the LEAF for example has a range of 80-100 miles. A rapid charge will quickly charge the car from 0% to 80% I'm 30mins.

Check out www.zap-map.com for locations of charge stations.
0-80% in 30mins. Very impressive I must say. So how much to install a charging station?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
0-80% in 30mins. Very impressive I must say. So how much to install a charging station?
Typically it's free for a charging station that will add 12 miles of range per hour to the car.

Roughly £100 for a charging station that will add 25 miles of range per hour.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi. I am looking to purchase an electric car. I have no idea as to the upkeep of these vehicles. Eg. What are their common faults? Where do you normally source parts aside from the stealers?

Thanks!

Amir
Amir, given all the questions you have and in addition to all of the members answers above, you're bound to have more! So it seems appropriate to mention Paul Churchley's excellent EV Wiki which was created exactly to answer the sort of questions people who are new to EVs such yourself tend to ask :) Here's the link:
http://www.evwiki.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

You'll find plenty of help on these forums from drivers of all the different types of electric vehicle.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Typically it's free for a charging station that will add 12 miles of range per hour to the car.

Roughly £100 for a charging station that will add 25 miles of range per hour.
So someone comes and installs a charging scion at your house for free??? How can that be possible?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts