Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

I have been actively reading this forum over the last couple of days after putting down a deposit on a 2019 eGolf. It will be our second car for mainly ferrying kids about, shopping etc so range should never be an issue. Especially in these covid times a full charge might last 3 weeks currently.

I wanted a car with a few options and was please to find this particular car with winter pack, reversing camera, keyless entry, active display, privacy glass and park assist (seems rare) in silver. Would have liked 18” wheels as not keen on the standard offerings but will change them along with the suspension in due course. We did have a 2016 Golf R wagon so well aware of how good the mk7 golf was, and I’ve recently taken delivery of a T6.1 which shares the Nav and parking functions of the golf so will be pretty familiar overall.

So I worked out my current energy deal earlier and can easily save £200 by changing supplier (British Gas standard) so based on a £5 full capacity cost and an average of say 125miles from a charge that’s 5000m of free motoring. If I go Octopus Go and charge the 4hrs at 5p/kWh (even with a granny charger) I’m sure that 8 or so miles daily would be more than enough for our needs and even cheaper to boot! Sound feasible? (Standard kWh rate is still cheaper than my current deal although standing order slightly dearer). Probably won’t need to have a higher capacity charger fitted and save that cost.

So one question I have is with the Activ dash, picking the car up will leave me with a circa 125m trip home, probably take the motorway for the bulk of the journey. Looking at the pictures from the advert the display shows 112miles, and as far as I know the active display doesn’t show battery % just predictive mileage, is this correct? I will ask the dealer to fully charge but I guess it’s at it max anyway.

I would possibly make it home if I keep to a sensible 60mph as long as it’s not to cold, but if I need a stop it would be Chievly, are the rapid chargers able to take Apple Pay or card payments or would I have to sign up to an app? If so is it feasible to do this at the charger, obviously I don’t want to look like a total noob as undoubtedly I’d have someone waiting....

Thanks for reading and providing a great resource

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
125 miles will be tight at this time of year even at 50-55 mph average. I would plan on a stop.
I don't know anything about the Chievly chargers so I'd let someone else inform you what you will need. Do you know which company has chargers there? Zapmap will tell you and the comments on Zapmap will give you ideas about how reliable they are. I''l have a look later if no one else posts any more details.

The Golf doesn't show battery % but the miles left is fairly accurate especially once the battery is getting low. In miine the heating switches of at about 10 miles left so I always plan to arrive at my destination before that happens this time of year.

When you sign up to Octopus make sure you use someones referal code to get you £50 credit, mines below if you don't have one yet. It will go towards several miles of electricity by the sound of things. I'm sure you will use the e-Golf for more than you intended to, it's so easy and cheap for all the local driving.

Great car, good choice.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
125 miles will be tight at this time of year even at 50-55 mph average. I would plan on a stop.
I don't know anything about the Chievly chargers so I'd let someone else inform you what you will need. Do you know which company has chargers there? Zapmap will tell you and the comments on Zapmap will give you ideas about how reliable they are. I''l have a look later if no one else posts any more details.

The Golf doesn't show battery % but the miles left is fairly accurate especially once the battery is getting low. In miine the heating switches of at about 10 miles left so I always plan to arrive at my destination before that happens this time of year.

When you sign up to Octopus make sure you use someones referal code to get you £50 credit, mines below if you don't have one yet. It will go towards several miles of electricity by the sound of things. I'm sure you will use the e-Golf for more than you intended to, it's so easy and cheap for all the local driving.

Great car, good choice.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently know nothing about the charger systems other than the threads I’ve read about certain ones being unreliable etc. I had a quick look at PlugShare last night to get a few for it so will read more later on that front.
As for Octopus I can’t see their Go tariff on their site when using your link (I did investigate it) but using and EV car comparison site it did bring up that tariff. Maybe the £50 offer isn’t included in Go?

thanks for the reply

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,136 Posts
I currently know nothing about the charger systems other than the threads I’ve read about certain ones being unreliable etc. I had a quick look at PlugShare last night to get a few for it so will read more later on that front.
As for Octopus I can’t see their Go tariff on their site when using your link (I did investigate it) but using and EV car comparison site it did bring up that tariff. Maybe the £50 offer isn’t included in Go?

thanks for the reply
It is.

Use a referral link and then modify the url to Octopus Energy

Or you can always move to Go after your switch is complete

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,685 Posts

thanks for the reply
Chievely Services are Ecotricity I think, and there’s only one CCS plug if Zap Map is correct. It’ll be a lottery.

I’d filter for Instavolt chargers and see how many of those are along the route, many of them are at least 2 chargers per site, and you just needs a Debit/Credit card to start them.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so Instavolt is the way to go, just walked to two that are local to me to take a look, one being Engenie which looked straightforward to use and the other was Pulse (bp) but according to PlugShare it’s switched off, both are in pub car parks so maybe why it’s offline?

Not worth me getting a home fast charge I don’t think esp with these chargers so close if we need an emergency journey top up

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
A quick look on zapmap and Chieveley doesn't look reliable.
Saying that I've found the e-Golf very good on the ecotricity rapids and have often been able to charge even with comments saying the connector isn't working, but you always need a second option just in case. I use them as they are at the service stations with easy access off the main road, but if there's another easy option I'd go for that.
As Tooks said if there's an Instavolt that's convenient it's a much easier option as you can pay by card.
I'm not sure if apple pay works with them, I'm an android user so never tried.

I've found BP easy enough as well but you do need the app for lots of them.

I'm not sure about the link to sign up to Go, I'll have to have a look at making it easier to follow by the sound of it. I imagine the comparison sites are getting the £50 credit and making it as simple as possible, that's their business.
It doesn't matter who's referral link you use as long as you get your £50 and the comparison site doesn't take all of it. Obviously I'd like the credit too, but use what works for you.

I'd always say get a home charger, it just makes life simple, but you'll find what works for you over a few weeks and months.
If you're charging from the granny charger all the time don't mention it on here or you'll get lots of comments about how unsafe it is. As long as your electrics are fully up to scratch and you don't use unsuitable extension leads you'll be fine, but don't expect to charge very quickly, it'll take all day and half the night to fully change the battery

·
Registered
265 Posts
Instavolt where possible for any driving in our house! Number one by a mile.

also when you sign up with octopus you can just email them your referral code when you speak to them. You don’t need to sign up with it, they are a great company and offer discounts on charger installs as well

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I see Octopus rely and use smart meters, I don’t currently have one and BG say I couldn’t have one for an unknown reason when they pushed it a year or two back. Will cross that road when I get to it.

I will be granny charging I think, I can’t see we will need to fast charge at home with the odd visit to the local fast charge will work for us mainly, though time will tell. I work within the industrial electrical industry so well versed with safety aspects and could install a CEE type socket if required further down the line. Using the cars onboard tech will be the way I’d go I think

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I see Octopus rely and use smart meters, I don’t currently have one and BG say I couldn’t have one for an unknown reason when they pushed it a year or two back. Will cross that road when I get to it.

I will be granny charging I think, I can’t see we will need to fast charge at home with the odd visit to the local fast charge will work for us mainly, though time will tell. I work within the industrial electrical industry so well versed with safety aspects and could install a CEE type socket if required further down the line. Using the cars onboard tech will be the way I’d go I think
Ohme is the cheapest way to go then. £199 + commando socket cost is worth some convenience..

We've teamed up with Ohme to offer the world's first smart home Electric Vehicle charging cable. | Octopus Energy

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I’ve been looking at PlugShare and Zap-Map to plan my stop along the M4 when collecting the car (west London to north Bristol). Fairly simple I thought, not so! There don’t seem to be any convenient Instavolts but the 3 Ecotricity sites that are the only ones shown all say out of order in my range haha! All the plug types and providers are frying my brain!

I was trying to avoid having to set up accounts and apps and just pay as I go with contactless or Apple Pay et al. Maybe I was expecting this to be to easy?

Can someone put me at ease and give me the lowdown. Thanks 😊

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I understand rapid (DC) Fast (AC 7kw) and slow 13amp home (granny)

so I need to be looking at what rapids are available on my route and getting the correct apps for those. I’ll be back

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,685 Posts
There don’t seem to be any convenient Instavolts but the 3 Ecotricity sites that are the only ones shown all say out of order in my range haha! All the plug types and providers are frying my brain!
It really is worth the small detours to find Instavolt chargers, usually less stress in the long run!

There seem to be some at Winnersh and Swindon on the route west to Bristol?

I assume it will be fully charged on pick up, so you’d only need to stop the once as far as I can see?

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Tooks, I seems to have worked out the filters on Zap-Map and prefer this app overall, think a detour to Newbury (Osprey I have one locally so it’s familiar to me) will give me a nice stress free trip home with a plan B being Swindon (Instavolt) tho this may be a bit close to my battery limit on theoretical worse case scenario. I’m sure this will get easier with experience but I thought simply pulling into a service station would suffice

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
So I’ve been looking at PlugShare and Zap-Map to plan my stop along the M4 when collecting the car (west London to north Bristol). Fairly simple I thought, not so! There don’t seem to be any convenient Instavolts but the 3 Ecotricity sites that are the only ones shown all say out of order in my range haha! All the plug types and providers are frying my brain!
I've had a quick look at some of the comments on the EcoT rapids and they aren't consistently out of order. There are comments where the CCS isn't working then another where it is. If you are driving past anyway these are the type I stop and take a look and most of the time the Golf will charge OK. The zapmap red highlight on a connector means someone has marked it as not working but it isn't always the case. It may not have worked as they were driving an i3 or a Kona which don't like the EcoT chargers.
It's taking a chance as you may stop and not get a charge but if it isn't going out of your way it could save you a longer detour to an instavolt.
Not everyone likes to stop just in case it is working so it may not be for you, but that's how I used to work it when I had a few more longer runs to make in the Golf.

If there's still a reason you can't have a smart meter then have a look at other tariffs as well. There are better deals than Octopus if you cant get on Go, which needs a smart meter to be able to switch to it. They put you on a standard tarif and it might cost more than you are on at the moment. Might be worth asking BG again about getting a smart meter and then switch after you have the smart meter fitted.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BG app says they don’t have a smart meter currently for my home, I have decent phone signal and WiFi, plenty of space under the stairs and the gas and electricity meters are next to each other. It is a 1930s property but other than the thickness of the walls I can’t understand why not. So will get a deal from another supplier without the cheap night rate which is a shame. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the Ecotricity info, my main issue is not having the relevant app or payment method mainly, the station not working is just one of those things really

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Ive had the app for a while, 3. 5 years ago contactless wasn't an option, so it's not a problem for me I guess.
Instavolt is easier if it's not too far out of the way.

Don't know much about electric prices, bring on Go nothing else compares so I've stopped looking at comparison sites every 12 months.
If there octopus standard rate is about the same or less than you have with BG then you could switch, but I'd probably look on the money-saving expert website and compare the best prices to Octopus and switch if it's similar or cheaper.
Once you have a smets2 smart meter it's easy to swap to Go. I've read the big 6 are more keen to switch people to a smart meter than the smaller companies but have no experience of that.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will assume the smart meter option is out the window for me and look at alternatives. Picking the Golf up on Sunday, noticed a Shell Recharge at Reading so will make that my plan A stop as the reviews are good

1 - 20 of 41 Posts