Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona premium SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just ordered a Kona and should be getting it in 3 to 4 weeks.
With lockdown I’ve done a fair bit of research on the car but not on the practical side of living with an ev so here i am to learn from you all.
Im having my consumer unit upgraded as i type so that i can fit a home charger soon.
i live in the far west of Cornwall where public chargers are few and far between.
Anyway hello all.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,847 Posts
Hi all
With lockdown I’ve done a fair bit of research on the car but not on the practical side of living with an ev so here i am to learn from you all.
Im having my consumer unit upgraded as i type so that i can fit a home charger soon.
i live in the far west of Cornwall where public chargers are few and far between.
Anyway hello all.
Welcome. At least you’ve picked an EV with a good range. Should be sufficient for your everyday journeys once your charging point is installed. And enough to get you to where there is a better public charging infrastructure. Just take into account the ups and downs of your lovely county, as that will have an effect on range. Unfortunately you never fully recoup going down what you used going up ;)

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
338 Posts
I ordered mine last December. It arrive three months later (originally predicted as four months). Initially i wondered how I could wait for such a long time. But there is so much to learn, so much to learn.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,599 Posts
Hi all
Anyway hello all.
Another Cornish owner, welcome. You will have no issues at getting around cornwall. But be warned if you ever venture out of the county. Going out of Cornwall via Oakhampton is fine but coming back that way you will use 20-30% more power than you think.. It really is the worst for consumption of anywhere in the country we have ever been, and that includes a trip to Glasgow and back which involved a lot of hills. Have fun.

·
Registered
2020 Kona premium SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Cornish owner, welcome. You will have no issues at getting around cornwall. But be warned if you ever venture out of the county. Going out of Cornwall via Oakhampton is fine but coming back that way you will use 20-30% more power than you think.. It really is the worst for consumption of anywhere in the country we have ever been, and that includes a trip to Glasgow and back which involved a lot of hills. Have fun.
Funny you should say that, I’ve always said that exact same thing as my ICE car uses way more fuel come back that way. I wonder why its so bad.

we go up country (London) every other month to see family so it will be an adventure Learning where all the charging stations are.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have a look at Zapmap, ABRP (a better route planner) and plugshare.
Assume your getting the 64Kwh battery version.
You will only need one stop to charge to get to London. Depends what level of charge you start with. On longer trips it pays to stop with low state of charge to get full speed from charger. Leave with enough to get to your next stop at low state of charge again.
Have a look at this

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I recommend the twin Instavolt chargers outside the Wetherspoon's at Portishead, Bristol. Very reliable, and the fish and chips are pretty good.

Reactions: E7EV

·
2,847 Posts
B91AEEEF-FFCC-4FBB-B6D2-1B819CC91606.png

When I do a London to Cornwall run, I pass this InstaVolt station which is on the A303 and is a 100kW CCS charger. Ideal for the the Kona which can charge at up to 77kW (64kW average on a 10 to 80% fill). Ideally situated at 120/180 mile point Cornwall to London. The Cornish hills are a killer on range so you’ll probably use more charge on the first part of your journey than on the second.

Reactions: CornishShaman

·
Registered
2020 Kona premium SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve always wanted to eat at that restaurant. Looks like a perfect excuse to now!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It's not bad - American themed, so great if you like burgers, steaks, fries, etc.

Reactions: CornishShaman

·
2,847 Posts
@Trevor Larkum you seem to choose where to charge on the basis of where the best food is ;)

·
2,847 Posts
It's not bad - American themed, so great if you like burgers, steaks, fries, etc.
@CornishShaman how come you gave a like to this post, and not mine, when it was me that suggested charging at the Route 303 restaurant? 😢

·
2,847 Posts
Going to London from Cornwall he won't be going anywhere near Portishead :)
I’ve never taken this route, but the M5 then M4 is an alternative that only takes slightly longer. And if there are good fish and chips to be eaten into the bargain...😋

FA9FE9B9-BBBD-407D-B751-F6A9A67F9456.png

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Going to London from Cornwall he won't be going anywhere near Portishead :)
I recently moved to a house on the Devon/Cornwall border and I always use the M4/M5 - maybe it's just habit as I'm familiar with it. It's also pretty well equipped with CCS chargepoints (Chieveley, Membury, Gordano, Sedgemoor) so I would hesitate to go any other way.

@Trevor Larkum you seem to choose where to charge on the basis of where the best food is ;)
Like that's a bad thing!

Reactions: E7EV
1 - 15 of 15 Posts