Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone educate me on these cars ?
i have now seen that they are the future and have questions. If they have been asked before dont shoot me down just post the link please.

how many charging cables are there or do they all have a standardisation ? (Will ford fit bmw etc etc.)
Is there a matrix chart of compatability some place ?

is there any sort of mobile charging service providers if your stranded ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
how many charging cables are there or do they all have a standardisation ? (Will ford fit bmw etc etc.)
Is there a matrix chart of compatability some place ?
It's fairly standard these days. Most new cars use a type 2 for ordinary charging, like at home, and use CCS for rapid charging when 'on a trip'.

is there any sort of mobile charging service providers if your stranded ?
Some, but mostly they'll tow you to the nearest rapid charger (or home if that's nearer) so you can fill it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's fairly standard these days. Most new cars use a type 2 for ordinary charging, like at home, and use CCS for rapid charging when 'on a trip'.

Some, but mostly they'll tow you to the nearest rapid charger (or home if that's nearer) so you can fill it yourself.
what does ccs mean ?
I have seen a type 2 cable with a “tesla button” does this mean i can run 240 volt 32 amp supply and if i connect to a 16amp car the vehicle will switch to accept 16amp automaticly?
If you press the tesla button ot will go into rapid charge mode?

sorry for all the questions but i am trying to future proof my choice

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,157 Posts
what does ccs mean ?
I have seen a type 2 cable with a “tesla button” does this mean i can run 240 volt 32 amp supply and if i connect to a 16amp car the vehicle will switch to accept 16amp automaticly?

sorry for all the questions but i am trying to future proof my choice
Try reading this, and a few of the sub pages linked there:- https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The tesla button will open the charge flap on a tesla vehicle, and stop/release when removing the connector. Otherwise you may have to faff with the app or inside the car to release the cable. You can use a charger without the tesla button perfectly well and I've survived perfectly fine without one.

The button makes no difference to charging speeds or what other vehicles can use the connector or anything like that - it's simply a minor convenience feature. Nice to have but far from essential.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i can have a commando socket on the wall and just buy a type 1 and type 2 cable both with commando plug on the supply end ?
Then anyone visting can charge slowly?

at work i can buy the same cables but with a red 3 phase on the supply end and we can fast charge visitors cars type 1 or 2 ?
Or does 3 phase only work on ccm cables ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
No.
You need some electronics between the mains supply and the car to control the charge, you cannot just connect the two directly. The electronics are referred to as an EVSE and come in fixed and portable (pEVSE) types. These allow the car to charge at a safe level.
Some EVSE allow the connector at the car end to be changed, others don't. Tesla UMC (their pEVSE) allow the connector to the mains to be changed, but this is rare.
CCS is a combination connection that allows charging either via AC or at a higher rate from a suitable DC supply.
Not many cars in the UK charge at 3 phase as most homes are single phase. The key is to ensure that whatever connection you use the house supply is sufficient.
What car are you considering?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,669 Posts
Can you get ccm in both type 1 and type 2 ?
CCS Is basically Type 2 but with 2 extra DC Pins allowing for rapid charging in the UK and Europe.

You can get CCS With Type 1/J1772 But this is only really used on vehicles in North America. Don't worry about Type 1 - It's only used on the old EVs. If you are looking to buy new, especially with Ford it will be Type 2 AC for regular charging, and CCS for rapid charging.

For future reference, if the car uses Type 1 for AC Charging in the UK, then the chances are that for DC Rapid charging, you won't be using CCS on it. Such vehicles like the original Nissan LEAF use Type 1 for AC, but then a different standard called Chademo for DC Rapid charging instead. These are two totally separate connections, not like CCS which makes use of the standard AC Connector too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You mention a few times about buying cables. You shouldn’t need to because the car should come with one, you can then plug into any (within reason) untethered charge unit ie; Pod-Point or local public chargers etc. which don’t usually have a cable attached.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link
As i stated above i would like to be future proof and have the facility for friends and customers to use my charging facillities.

has anyone got any info on companies offering “mobile charging services” ?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,669 Posts
As i stated above i would like to be future proof and have the facility for friends and customers to use my charging facillities.
A Simple Type 2 AC socketed charging post/wall unit is all you need to cover the future of EVs for the foreseeable. That's it. Pretty much every EV on sale in Europe now uses Type 2. And even if not, since it's socketed you would just connect the correct cable to the unit in order to charge a vehicle that uses another standard. Give it as much power as possible (up to 22kW 3-Phase would generally be considered the max.) but then the car will only pull as much as it needs, even if that is only 3kW Single phase.

This is how almost every public AC Chargepoint is set up in the UK.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
has anyone got any info on companies offering “mobile charging services”
Vapourware. A few of the recovery services will top you up to get you to the nearest public charge point if you run out.

There was a discussion on here about 6 months ago about one in London that hasn't taken off since but it's hard to take Covid out of the equation:

Mobile charging that comes to you

Charge Fairy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this cable seems to be universal?
My sister has a volvo and mum has a prius. If i get a ford we can all use this one

this would let me charge my friends nissan note?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
My sister has a volvo and mum has a prius. If i get a ford we can all use this one

Whatever (new) car you buy now in the UK will have a type 2 port (and probably CCS).
So you'll presumably install a type 2 charge-point for it.
Worry about charging your friends and relatives after you've got that sorted out. They've probably already got their own charge-points, so using yours isn't likely to be a big thing.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
So this cable seems to be universal?

Some earlier Prius PHEV are Type 1.
The Nissan Note in the UK isn't an electric car or plug in hybrid. Do you mean a LEAF, in which case pre-2018 are Type 1?
I suggest that a socketed charge point that you and friends and family can plug the appropriate lead into is the most sensible and safe approach.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds like you need an untethered type 2 charge point. 32a ideally unless you have a 3 phase supply to your house.

Essentially this will have a type 2 socket on it.

Anyone with a type 2 / CCS car will be able to plug their type 2 to type 2 cable into your charge point.

Anyone with a type 1 / chademo car will be able to plug their type 1 to type 2 cable into your charge point.

Irrespective of whether the cars are type 2 or type 1, the charge point end is always type 2.

There are still a lot of type 1 cars out there. Nissan Leaf, Nissan ENV200, Kia Soul, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for example.

If you want to ensure customers can use your point as a perk, they should have their own cable to use. You could always buy a cable to assist the unprepared (type 2 - type 1) and make sure whatever new EV you buy comes with a type 2 - type 2 cable. All bases then covered.

You could consider a Zappi charger if you want to take advantage of solar to charge in future

1 - 20 of 21 Posts