Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning got a MG ZSEV three weeks ago love it,Although the ser5I got from MG Wakefield was appalling, what I try5to found out is what needs doing on a service, I've had a three year service plan quotation from MG ,its £372.54 inc MOT on third years service.that equates to £ 76.80 for first year £148.14 for second year ang £76.80 third year plus £38 for mot ( all prices inc pollen filter)
BUT no one at MG Wakefield can tell me what they actually do other than change filter and kick tyres
Can any one help, suppose I could contact MG direct.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Plug in and update software, check brakes/tyres underneath for obvious damage/wear, brake fluid change year 2.

Also each service resets the AA cover for a further 12 months.

Doubt much else unless flagged by customer.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Plug in and update software, check brakes/tyres underneath for obvious damage/wear, brake fluid change year 2.

Also each service resets the AA cover for a further 12 months.

Doubt much else unless flagged by customer.
Pretty much "Bugger All" then !.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do you have to have the MG service to maintain the warranty?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the service schedule must be adhered to in order to maintain the warranty, and the garanteed residual value in the case of a PCP contract (which we have). The service interval is 15,000 miles or 1 year - so we'll be servicing every year (can't see us doing more than 12,000 miles a year). Don't forget they fill the washer bottle too :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
BTW, definately take it to another dealer for the servicing - I believe that good service should be rewarded, and vice verca. My dealer has been excellent, fortunately, as they're the only one within an hour drive of us!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,177 Posts
Pretty much "Bugger All" then !.
Yeah, but that's mainly all you get with any EV service. Mine's due on the 19th - and I've had to grumble to get a valet done as the last 3 didn't get one included. Which it should have done, but I got the - the guy doing the valets is very busy. If you can wait an hour he'll fit you in!!!!!! (that's after the service was complete and I'd been there an hour and a half already)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,177 Posts
Don't forget they fill the washer bottle too
Yeah, if you go back to the early days of Speakev, most servicing threads were comments about the most expensive washer refill.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yeah, but that's mainly all you get with any EV service. Mine's due on the 19th - and I've had to grumble to get a valet done as the last 3 didn't get one included. Which it should have done, but I got the - the guy doing the valets is very busy. If you can wait an hour he'll fit you in!!!!!! (that's after the service was complete and I'd been there an hour and a half already)
It's shite really !.
The service departments can feel the level of work slowly slipping away.
They are grasping at everything to keep that car coming back.
Making the annual service a T&C of the warranty is a crude way of holding onto a connection with your car, and by exploiting more money from the owners. It's purely and simply that !.
Rant over, time for another blood pressure tablet !.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't mind getting it serviced, as long as I'm not tired in to getting that done at MG. Have as local garage that is great with my other car, would be nice if I could keep giving them business.
So, I suppose just a battery and body check by MG - any ideas if this is an additional cost?

Hopefully, unlike Nissan, no one will relieve themselves in the wash bucket whilst cleaning the car - throwback to a thread years ago!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
61 Posts
I don't mind getting it serviced, as long as I'm not tired in to getting that done at MG. Have as local garage that is great with my other car, would be nice if I could keep giving them business.
So, I suppose just a battery and body check by MG - any ideas if this is an additional cost?

Hopefully, unlike Nissan, no one will relieve themselves in the wash bucket whilst cleaning your car to a thread years ago!
Where do you go for software updates? Bit of a cheek to ask MG dealer when you have just had a service at Halfords.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Really, all electric cars on sale today could have 3yr / 40k miles service intervals with ease, they've more in common with domestic appliances than fossil vehicles quite honestly.

If a car left the factory with silicone brake fluid and slightly thicker brake pads I wouldn't be surprised if it could last to 100k miles without issue. The latest G12 and G13 coolants last for 5 years in the hostile environment of an ICE so I would bet they would be fine for 10 years with the gentle temperature swings experienced in an EV's coolant circuit.

I guess the human factor is the main stumbling block though, too many people might simply ignore any safety critical issues over these sorts of timescales with possibly serious consequences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where do you go for software updates? Bit of a cheek to ask MG dealer when you have just had a service at Halfords.
Why? If the update patches known bugs, errors or operational issues; how is a customer supposed to update with no OTA in the UK version?
Maybe if I could deploy the patch myself (please MG!).

It's not like the dealer is missing out, they should be paid for this work by MG no? I'm certainly expecting ALL updates to be applied FOC, unless they enable additional functionality not in the original specification. I don't think this is unreasonable.

I feel software updates are analagous to booking the car in to the dealers for manufacturer issues, e.g recall & replacement of faulty physical hardware.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I should have the freedom to use a garage of my choice for repairs/service/updates - including doing so myself.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I should have the freedom to use a garage of my choice for repairs/service/updates - including doing so myself.
The "doing it myself" is the sticky one. I believe it's the law in the UK that you can use any "approved" garage for servicing without voiding warranty, but there has to be quality control - garages pay a lot of money in training and certification to maintain their "approved" status (so I believe).

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
61 Posts
The "doing it myself" is the sticky one. I believe it's the law in the UK that you can use any "approved" garage for servicing without voiding warranty, but there has to be quality control - garages pay a lot of money in training and certification to maintain their "approved" status (so I believe).
First thing a buyer of your car will look at is the service book, no stamps if you service it yourself. MG Dealer stamps far better than Joe Bloggs Garage.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
First thing a buyer of your car will look at is the service book, no stamps if you service it yourself. MG Dealer stamps far better than Joe Bloggs Garage.
I totally agree !.
I find this is extremely important IF you intended to sell your car privately.
A lot of cars today ( including the MG ) does not offer a paper copy of the service history, which I find a real shame.
I believe MG will provide you with a full print out of your cars service history on request though.
Good, but not as good as a service book I.M.H.O.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts