Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
I am planning to buy an ev second hand. For now my choices are Nissan leaf (2017 or later model) or Renault Zoe (2017 or later model). I also appreciate if you suggest similar class/range makes and models (My budget is around 15k GBP)
So here are my questions for those of you who own or have a good experience with these vehicles :
1. Which one is better?
2. What battery power range should I look for?
3. How many miles can you drive with a full charge of a 30kwh battery, how about with fast chargers?
4. What are the main concerns with a second hand electric vehicle, what should I look for?
5. I want to use the vehicle for commercial use (private hire vehicle), so a good range battery is mandatory

I hope I will get a good advice in this forum, as I am a newbie about evs

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
I want to use the vehicle for commercial use (private hire vehicle), so a good range battery is mandatory
You'll not get a Zoe licenced as a private hire vehicle in most cities. They measure cars for accessibility and space, and the Zoe falls short in a number of places.

30kWh LEAF is a good option. You'll have no issue getting that approved. 100 miles range average and very fast very reliable rapid charging. (Note you'll significantly reduce this range in the winter if you like your car hot, rather than trying to simply maintain a comfortable, warm temperature)

40kWh if you can push to it is even better range, but noticeably slower charging.

Ideally I'd have said to go for something like a Hyundai Ioniq, but that's probably a good £5k over your budget sadly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can get Ioniqs for 15k now, you could probably also get a 40kwh leaf for 15k in a private sale with a bit of haggling. I don't think a 30kwh leaf is going to work for you in winter unless you can charge between jobs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Leaf might have a better ride quality, I guess, for car hire stuff. Zoe 1st generation is not as comfortable I reckon.

Your main concern with second hand electric cars might be warranty; pay for extra warranty. You don't want the power train to fail on you without warranty, as you may need to shell out 5-6k for new parts and installation.

For range you have to factor in more variables. For example, in cold winters in the city you'll spend a lot of energy on heating in stop and go traffic; Leaf has a resistive heater (someone correct me please), so the longer you sit at standstill with heating on, the more energy it will consume, which will reduce your range. How much? Well, depends on how long you're stuck in traffic.

Leaf has a bit of a downside when it comes to charging, my opinion, in the sense that you'll have to hunt down ChaDeMo plugs, which are DC and if, at the same charging station, someone else is using the CCS (also DC) for fast charging, you'll have to wait for them to finish - that's if you have ChaDeMo capable charging stations where you want to do your business. Zoe has the AC fast charge (22kW or 43kW) which not other cars have, allowing you to use more charging stations theoretically, but there are other drawbacks.

I concur with @80698 (nice username!), for car hire you may need something a bit more spacious and the ioniq is much better suited for the job.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@80698 is spot on about the Zoe, not to mention that the rear seat is not exactly big....

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
AFAIK the leaf has a heat pump in the Acenta and above spec models just the Visia that has a resistive heater and they didn't sell many of those.
Correct. As I mentioned above as long as you keep it at a comfortable temperature you're fine. If you make the mistake of setting it to 30°C or switching both heat and AC on together though you'll activate the resistive heater even on a Acenta/Tekna which will do some significant damage to your range.

Visia and Visia+ are both resistive heat only. And now I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a 30kWh Visia anyways so don't think that would be much of a worry for OP anyways.

You can get Ioniqs for 15k now, you could probably also get a 40kwh leaf for 15k in a private sale with a bit of haggling. I don't think a 30kwh leaf is going to work for you in winter unless you can charge between jobs.
Oooh! It's been a while since I looked but the last time I checked they were folding their value amazingly well. If the prices are finally starting to come down I may look to get an Ioniq for myself when I return to the UK. They're great EVs with fantastic efficiency, very quick rapid charging, good reliability and fairly comfortable too.

A 30kWh LEAF can manage Uber though. I've done it myself. Only twice did I ever feel restricted by range. One of which was a 260 mile fare which I was so sad about having to cancel and miss out on, but it was otherwise fine and the fuel savings were huge.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My wife used to like Ioniq's BEV, absolutely refuses to even test drive one now, quote (in a middle class accent looking down her nose) " They are all owned by Taxi Drivers, i'm not having one of those".

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
My wife used to like Ioniq's BEV, absolutely refuses to even test drive one now, quote (in a middle class accent looking down her nose) " They are all owned by Taxi Drivers, i'm not having one of those".
I've never understood people who view cars that way. To me that's a great thing because it proves that they are practical and reliable, and if they are so popular you likely have a good amount of parts and support available should anything ever go wrong.

She does realise that by getting one, she doesn't have to become a taxi driver herself, right?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've never understood people who view cars that way. To me that's a great thing because it proves that they are practical and reliable, and if they are so popular you likely have a good amount of parts and support available should anything ever go wrong.

She does realise that by getting one, she doesn't have to become a taxi driver herself, right?
"One is judged by ones peers by what one drives". This is why she loves her current RHD Chevy Volt. Very rare in the UK. Comments of strangers are always interesting, positive. "what's that? It's electric? I have never seen one before! It's really nice."

In her mind driving an IONIQ would lead to comments such as "here to collect fare love?" or, "Yes i'm sure it has a good range, but it's just not a Tesla is it." it's become a "working class" car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for your inputs, I really appreciate it.
One more question :
I am also thinking of buying ioniq, but are a bit expensive for my budget, but @Njm 106 mentioned that I can get them for 15k which suits my budget. So where should I look for them?
Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts

There's currently only one on AT right now within budget (only just) and its color... Well let's just say it stands out!

Private sales may help you find them cheaper on the likes of the forums here, Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace etc. But after taking a quick look I'm not seeing much out there especially at such a low price point right now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There were some private ones a little over priced on AT that I would have thought should have gone for around £15k, these may have either been sold, traded in or gone to WBAC as I can't see them any more, still you could stick an Autobot badge on the front and pretend it's Bumblebee!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts