Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have bought the above car its done 53k, I got a good deal because Sam our son is a body shop manager for ArnoldClarke. We decided on the 94ah rex because we often need that extra bit of range, we also chose a later model because of reliability issues with earlier cars. The question is their any real issues with these later cars or have they ironed out most of the bugs? We are looking forward to a long and happy relationship with the car but as an ex garage owner know that isnt always the case

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can only tell you what I’ve read on here and other forums but it seems that these later cars are more reliable than those from 2014/15.
The REX is obviously more complicated than the pure electric car and there are no doubt many threads on here about REX specific issues.
That said I personally could only consider pure electric with the 120ah battery (which is what I have).

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
80 Posts
You should be clear of most of the issues with early cars, but BMW REx is still a quirky setup. No disrespect but Arnold Clark won't know the first thing about these cars, so any potential error, then you really need to get it scanned to pinpoint where the fault lies.

First thing I'd do is contact BMW main dealer to see if there's any outstanding recalls on it. You'll need the VIN number. There was a recent recall on charging unit recently, but may not apply to 2017 model.

The range extender engine, use it. It benefits from a run periodically. Benefits from oil and filter change annually.

The front shock gaiters are made of cheese, you'll be lucky to get 2 years from them. Easy fix if your mechanically minded. Also be aware of charging lock solenoid and door solenoid which can fail. The fuel pressure sensor which was subject to a recall shouldn't effect you.

I've just replaced discs and pads all round. At 53k, check them for lip on the discs or corrosion. There's a pad sensor although not triggered I'd replace anyway as will disintegrate when you try to remove.

Assuming your car is on original 12v starter battery, then anything untoward, electrical gremlin wise, then they do fail with age, but you should be good for another couple of years.

Lastly, remember these cars can't be towed. Flatbed only.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be clear of most of the issues with early cars, but BMW REx is still a quirky setup. No disrespect but Arnold Clark won't know the first thing about these cars, so any potential error, then you really need to get it scanned to pinpoint where the fault lies.

First thing I'd do is contact BMW main dealer to see if there's any outstanding recalls on it. You'll need the VIN number. There was a recent recall on charging unit recently, but may not apply to 2017 model.

The range extender engine, use it. It benefits from a run periodically. Benefits from oil and filter change annually.

The front shock gaiters are made of cheese, you'll be lucky to get 2 years from them. Easy fix if your mechanically minded. Also be aware of charging lock solenoid and door solenoid which can fail. The fuel pressure sensor which was subject to a recall shouldn't effect you.

I've just replaced discs and pads all round. At 53k, check them for lip on the discs or corrosion. There's a pad sensor although not triggered I'd replace anyway as will disintegrate when you try to remove.

Assuming your car is on original 12v starter battery, then anything untoward, electrical gremlin wise, then they do fail with age, but you should be good for another couple of years.

Lastly, remember these cars can't be towed. Flatbed only.
Fortunately I still have part ownership of a garage so I will go through the car, it has a good warranty so it shouldnt be to bad. I have been reading the forums prior to buying which is why I have settled on a later car. The car has stood since October which will throw up battery and brake problems so they might have been solved already.

·
Super Moderator
11,766 Posts
October?
Should be fine as long as the traction battery had a decent charge before it sat. Unlike LEAF, it is fine to store an i3 at 100% charge.
Storage below 20% is not recommended. If the battery is well below 20% when you collect, consider rejection. The pack might be damaged from sitting that long at a low charge.

When you get the car drive it long enough for the Rex to run a maintenance cycle.

Wouldn't be surprised if the parking brake is stuck. Easy fix if you have worked on a BMW before.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The BMW dealership is next door to Arnoldclarkes so it will be worth a visit to checkup on updates, the DVLA doesnt mention any outstanding safety issues, but we dont know about other stuff. I will take it for a run and make the rex run from the menu.
I have just had a call from Ben who is a friend of Sam the son that the car has arrived, it was driven from Stafford and according to Ben drove well. So we collect the car tomorrow at one hooray, it will have been charged overnight ready for us.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It all went wrong on the charging front! The valeter didnt know that you have to press the button on the charger :confused: Ben plugged it in the next morning for the cleaner to disconnect it as a trip hazard!! In the end it had 22 miles in it, which got me to Rotherham and the trip back made sure the Rex worked ok. We charged it overnight on the granny lead which took forever, I then discovered in settings that their are different speeds on granny leads, of which I have 2 and no type 2 lead?
I do have questions about charging but will have a search on here before I make a fool of myself :)
The car came with 3 new tyres on it, its serviced until September and it drives very well no rattles or squeaks Jayne loves it and blew the doors off a hot hatch by accident :rolleyes: if she is to be believed :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts