Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, an owner of too many old (upcycled) German cars with six cylinders, and a 2cv, I am finally getting electric. I think an i3 is the perfect choice, with lots of cool tech from the i8, and I think the REx option is potentially going to make loads of sense when everyone suddenly has an EV, and its handbags at the charge points.

I have loved driving EVs ever since our council purchased a brace of i-Miev's, I was right up for pushing the range limit by one pedal driving and slipstreaming trucks in winter, when most of my colleagues were scared of doing more than 20 miles in it, so I consider myself an early adopter :)

I have just put down a deposit on a 2016 i3 and am doing all the usual things like choosing a wall charger and figuring out tariffs, but also when noodling around a BMW dealer I was able to compare i3 and i3s side by side.

I like how the i3 is narrow (like the good ol deux chevaux - perfect for the maximum efficiency line across roundabouts) but I think the i3s styling adds a touch of boldness the standard car is missing. I know its not for everyone, and I guess it might lose some range because of the additions.. but all the same I am looking to add a little s-ness to mine.

Does anyone know if the i3s actually has wider wings, or just arch extensions and wider or spaced-outward wheels? I know its lower too.

My s-a-like plan for mine is black wheels and grille, 15mm spacers and black wheelarch lips. Probably.
I might try these easyWider | The simple way to widen your wheel arches.

cheers!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
665 Posts
The S uses a very slightly wider track, wider wheels, lower suspension by 10mm and the side skirts are just bolt-ons to the standard bodywork (that obscure the side-facing parking sensors!).
Personally, the S is worth the upgrade in stability and grip alone - the extra 20lbft is neither here nor there but the addition of "Sport mode" is a day and night transformation too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The S uses a very slightly wider track, wider wheels, lower suspension by 10mm and the side skirts are just bolt-ons to the standard bodywork (that obscure the side-facing parking sensors!).
Personally, the S is worth the upgrade in stability and grip alone - the extra 20lbft is neither here nor there but the addition of "Sport mode" is a day and night transformation too.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm heading (very gently) down a similar route. (y)

So far I have some German TUV approved hub-centric wheel spacers and I've wrapped the white 'arches' of the roof black for a slightly more stealthy look. I like the look of those flex arch extensions, because my spacers tend to make the car dirty. Dynamically you can really feel the difference and I can share pics and the front & rear sizes if anyone's interested. Wheel spacers can be a real marmite product, but I am a fan on this car.

In the longer term I have the Eibach Sport spring kit, which lowers the car by 10-15mm and firms up the ride. This will, essentially, make my car 2016 94Ah equivalent to the 'S' in basic chassis terms. I've held off fitting the springs because it's a £300 job + 4-wheel alignment, and I've only just had the front shock boots replaced under warranty. I was pleased to buy them because they can be hard to get in the UK. Maybe a spring spring job, if you see what I mean :)

Other than that, I would recommend LED main beam and front indicator upgrades (even if the car has factory LED headlights). Be careful which ones you buy though, because as others will point out (imminently ;)) the wrong conversion kit can mess up the beam pattern and lead to you being on the incorrect side of the law etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, thanks. I was looking at H+R springs but have good experience with Eibach too. If you fit the springs please make a youtube vid!!

Which spacers did you use and what size? I was looking at these 15mm front and back

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the S and have to say I’m not over impressed with the handling but then I have never driven a standard i3. I have read that you can space the S out by another 10mm which makes a big difference that a big jump up from a standard i3 I think the lower suspension makes a difference. My problem is that this is my quirky car my normal cars are sports cars or super cars so the i3 is no match handling but I do like it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are looking for Black grilles without paying near £100 I have a pair on eBay at the moment - one brand new and the other near new ( on car for only a few hundred miles ). My eBay ID is kjsdms if this is of any interest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, thanks. I just dismantled and vinyl wrapped mine today. Took ages but at least they are easy to wrap as the blue part unclips from the silver surround.

Sorry not to reply and I’m glad theyre sold :) cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
Was going to get mine vinyl wrapped (grey to blue) but decided to change the door sill trims to blue as well (and as BMW prices go) they were not too expensive at £40 / side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts