Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's not beat around the bush - we need to get down to the Tesla comparison right away. :)

Here's the new Toyota RAV4, which is a PHEV. Starting price is $38,100 which is a shade above a Model 3 SR+:

Still comes with 3 kW onboard AC charger as standard.

10 year/150,000 mile battery warranty.

Based on the Prius hybrid drive system, so should be reliable. Do we know if this is coming to the UK?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It's a totally different segment to the M3 - closer to the MY.

It is supposedly coming to the UK but I've no intention of buying one. I am however jealous of the battery size - it has about the same capacity as my BEV!

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
It’s not for me, but then I’m not every buyer, and will not be surprised if this proves quite popular.

Like them or not, the world seems very attracted to SUVs, and the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV sold well, so why not this.

I see the onboard charger can be upgraded to 6.6kw, which would make it more useable, and the warranty is certainly generous.

But nah, I’d rather have a M3 or a MY... ;)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,389 Posts

says " The All New RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid will be introduced during the second half of 2020, with start of sales commencing on 1st September. "

and up to 38miles

The just also announced Merc B250e PHEV //// up to 42 miles ..... that's a better rival than a BEV

·
Registered
118 Posts
0-60 in 5.7s...in a RAV4...that much power and horse boots could see a lot of trouble :oops:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Presumably they will drop their "self-charging" lie for this?

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
It is probably a reasonable choice for people who commute to work and do long journeys regularly but don't want to (or can't) stop for 30 minutes or more to top up. Used sensibly PHEVs can help local emissions and save money, I got 220mpg lifetime on my second Ampera as my commute to work for 90% electric.

At least it doesn't have rapid charging so no risk of certain SpeakEV members having a meltdown because it is abusing a rapid charger ;)

Reactions: Spec555 and cah197

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It is probably a reasonable choice for people who commute to work and do long journeys regularly but don't want to (or can't) stop for 30 minutes or more to top up. Used sensibly PHEVs can help local emissions and save money, I got 220mpg lifetime on my second Ampera as my commute to work for 90% electric.

At least it doesn't have rapid charging so no risk of certain SpeakEV members having a meltdown because it is abusing a rapid charger ;)
But there are now quite a few 200+ mile range BEVs that cost less than this. I think the main buyers will be the ones who want the space and capacity that this offers over similarly priced long range BEVs (standard range Model Y not being available yet).

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
But there are now quite a few 200+ mile range BEVs that cost less than this. I think the main buyers will be the ones who want the space and capacity that this offers over similarly priced long range BEVs (standard range Model Y not being available yet).
Sure and the only similar price BEV SUV I can think of is the Kona, but it is smaller.

In the Ampera I would (every week or so) have to drive from Newbury to Manchester and back same day. There was no charging at the Manchester office or nearby, so in a Kona (or even a Model 3 LR) I would need a charge on the way home. After a long day of meetings not everyone wants to do that, so I can see why PHEVs still have a place.

I stopped doing those long business day trips early 2018 so changed to a Zoe ZE40. I still have to go to an office in Birmingham and that means a short charge on way home, but those visits are rare and often I can take the Model 3 :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Sure and the only similar price BEV SUV I can think of is the Kona, but it is smaller.

In the Ampera I would (every week or so) have to drive from Newbury to Manchester and back same day. There was no charging at the Manchester office or nearby, so in a Kona (or even a Model 3 LR) I would need a charge on the way home. After a long day of meetings not everyone wants to do that, so I can see why PHEVs still have a place.

I stopped doing those long business day trips early 2018 so changed to a Zoe ZE40. I still have to go to an office in Birmingham and that means a short charge on way home, but those visits are rare and often I can take the Model 3 :)
Also E-Nero.
I suspect most SUV buyers are not doing your mileage profile but doing school runs instead!

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Also E-Nero.
I suspect most SUV buyers are not doing your mileage profile but doing school runs instead!
A PHEV works well on a school run, but I suspect most £35K+ SUVs are bought as the main car in a household and also used for long journeys. Not many people spend that on a second car!

We are now a 100% BEV household and that works for us, but we know plenty of people for whom it wouldn't today - even ignoring costs. Anyway, people will make their own choice and I suspect Toyota will sell quite a few RAV4 PHEVs when it gets launched.

I often get the Kona and Niro the wrong way around, the Niro has the larger boot (451) with the Kona (332) not being any bigger than the Zoe, so definitely not a family size SUV.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,945 Posts
MG ZS...? £25k full electric SUV, all the toys...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts