Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called in to a new Asda store in Barrhead on the southside of Glasgow last night as I pass it on my way home.

I was pleased to see signs pointing to an EV Charging station reasonably prominent as you enter the car park. It is a twin Type 2 socket Chargemaster post although I have no idea what level of charge it supplies.

It does not show on Asda's own website as providing a charging station yet but presumably will in time. The strore only opened 4 weeks ago. (http://storelocator.asda.com/store/barrhead)

I was unable to test it but another member of the Electric Vehicle Association Scotland tested it this morning and confirms it was working. He used the Polar instant app.

Disappointingly, whilst the post has two sockets only one bay is marked as for EV charging (the one my Ampera is for the photo). I imagine the other one may be ICE'd frequently as a result. I did mention this to Customer Services but I don't know whether that will help or not. They were happy to leave it as a Chargemaster installation and take little to do with it.

Hope that helps anyone in that area.

Derek

Reactions: cgiAlexis

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Hopefully if it's not near the doors, the ICE problem may not be as bad. Of course it is worth you thanking @Asda on Twitter ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
My son is playing football near there tomorrow morning so I will check it out - thanks very much for the info. Had to sign up to Polar Instant though, but managed to get the special speakEV reduced rate :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well I can confirm it is working. Managed to charge there this morning using the Polar Instant app :D.
Unfortunately, there was some sort of problem, as when I came to unplug (via the app), it wouldn't recognise the fact that I wanted to stop and wouldn't let me unplug the lead! As I suspected, Customer Services didn't know anything about it at all, so I had to call Polar and get someone to manually stop the charge to release the cable.
The post is not right at the main entrance so I don't think it would get ICEd unless really busy, but can't understand why they haven't marked the second bay as @Derekosb pointed out. (My son's team won 11-0 as well, so very happy overall :D:D)

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't pay to charge but Chargemaster now charge a £1.20 admin fee for your "free charge"! I think you can get a card from Asda customer services though.

I'll see if I can find the Polar app on Play store to see what it's called.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tried post Saturday CYC card doesn't work, can't find polar app people are talking about and do you pay to charge your car?
Ask in store, they should have a card that they'll let you use for a tenner deposit.

I know ASDA usually go for Chargemaster but it's still a little dissapointing to see them continue that trend in Scotland.

All the Chargemaster problems aside the vast majority of Scots wont have a polar card becuae there are just so few Polar charge points there

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've stopped using it now there is a £1.20 admin charge. I only ever used it for a quick top up as I grabbed some essentials on the way home and was normally less than half an hour. I always felt it was good to let people see it being used but not any more.

Derek

Reactions: jdsx

·
Registered
883 Posts
Use the BP Pulse app - replaced the polar one.

7kw but £1.20 connection fee - worth it if you are taking a couple of hours worth, otherwise questionable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts