Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing all 4 tyres on my 2012 - which has 3 originals (2011 !) that have plenty of tread left, but are cracking on the tread and sidewalls. Tyre wear seems even, though one has been replaced which makes me wonder - it's front drivers side.

I've looked up older threads comparing Michelin with Bridgestone options; but these aren't stocked by my local Costco. I'm thinking of another type - with 'A' economy and wet weather rating, but 71db noise rating. Would this be a bit loud, given how quiet these cars are ? (note; i lived in a cold climate and had 6 years with winter tyres - but on an old/large/4x4 ICE so there was plenty of other noise which meant the tyre hum was NBD).

These are the ones i'm thinking about; any experience or suggestions ?

Bridgestone 205/5516 (V) 91 TURANZA T005

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've been contemplating the same thing, my tyres aren't that bad, I just want better tyres than the original Dunlops as we head towards Winter.

These are the tyres I fancy :Cinturato ALL SEASON PLUS - Car tyre | Pirelli

The bonus here is the self-sealing, very unusual on this kind of tyre and with no spare the attraction is greater.
One puncture and they will have paid for the little extra they cost.
I've always like Pirellis, I have had them on most of my cars. I find they are the quietest and safest overall.

Edit: Protyre (Bathwicks) have them for £106.70 here in Poole. Branches all over the country.
Edit edit: No they don't nil stock or availability. bugger.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tyres passed the MOT in June despite some cracking on the sidewalls, but wife had a puncture yesterday - managed to re-inflate tyre and drive home - and i had it repaired today. It would have been £19 at National, but a mobile service did it for £30 in my driveway. The puncture proofing would pay for itself - especially if you get a flat somewhere inconvenient (or dangerous), or you prefer not to walk your loved spouse through 'how to pump up the flat tyre and assess whether you can make it home safely' by phone. Top tip; this works best if she's not hungry and it's not dark and raining...

I'm thinking that new tyres might be slightly less likely to get a puncture - though previously when buying two new tyres, i got a screw in the sidewall - of one of the new ones... New tyres will also be better in winter - but the old ones currently seem to grip remarkably well in wet and cold.

I'm wondering about the energy efficiency ratings - these are described as about 7.5% difference between the worst and best. Not a huge range, and apparently this equates to 80 litres of fuel - but if this is over 5 years and 20-40k miles; it's pretty minor. Of course, with my aged battery i'd prefer to get whatever has the least rolling resistance to maximise the range.

·
Registered
67:30 Black
54 Posts
Over on the UK nissan leaf Forum on Facebook there are a few folks who swear by Michelin Cross climates.

Not sampled them myself.

I like the idea of self healing that @Barfly suggested.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over on the UK nissan leaf Forum on Facebook there are a few folks who swear by Michelin Cross climates.

Not sampled them myself.

I like the idea of self healing that @Barfly suggested.
Thanks - the Cross climates are on offer at Costco; it'll be those ones (perhaps Primacy) or the Bridgestone Turanza (I was impressed by Bridgestone Blizzak snow tyres, but that's a different beast entirely).

Years ago (?) there were tyre additives that you left in the tyre, and which took care of small leaks; did this die out ? I think that some manufacturers even added it as standard. But, i also heard that some of these were incompatible with normal puncture repair ? Possibly all urban legend...

·
Registered
269 Posts
......original tyres. 400 miles so far, not noticed any range loss. Awesome grip wet and dry and ride really well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
......original tyres. 400 miles so far, not noticed any range loss. Awesome grip wet and dry and ride really well.
@Chris P. Can I ask what exactly are you doing in your avatar 'photo? It looks for all the world as though you are filling a petrol tank from a can? How weird is that in an EV forum?
Tony.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good morning Tony. Petrol lawnmower was behind me just out of shot. Wife got me to pose just for fun. Three years ago now, lawnmower long gone in favour of rechargeable.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It seems there is a general consensus the Michelin Cross Climates are top of the poll. It is a pity they don't have the self-seal feature, they would be perfect then for us all.

I think I'll go for the Pirellis, the self-seal is a priority for me, the noise levels of the Pirellis always seem to be better on every car I've had and the wear is always excellent.
Thanks for everyone's input, Tony.

Reactions: arkranium

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think I'll go for the Pirellis, the self-seal is a priority for me, the noise levels of the Pirellis always seem to be better on every car I've had and the wear is always excellent.
Thanks for everyone's input, Tony.
I'm very interested in how the Pirelli's fare noise wise. Do please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Cross Climates on mine, seem pretty grippy, and i'm used to high performance tyres on my other cars. Probably not as efficient as some other tyres though.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
People here saying CrossClimate, do you actually have that or the more recent CrossClimate+ which has been out for a few years now ? Not quite the same...

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
ah, mine are the + version i'm sure, will confirm later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered some Cross Climate + and will see how they do... They say that they've got both summer, wet, and snow performance with low noise and rolling resistance. Quite a lot to live up to !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been contemplating the same thing, my tyres aren't that bad, I just want better tyres than the original Dunlops as we head towards Winter.

These are the tyres I fancy :Cinturato ALL SEASON PLUS - Car tyre | Pirelli

The bonus here is the self-sealing, very unusual on this kind of tyre and with no spare the attraction is greater.
One puncture and they will have paid for the little extra they cost.
I've always like Pirellis, I have had them on most of my cars. I find they are the quietest and safest overall.

Edit: Protyre (Bathwicks) have them for £106.70 here in Poole. Branches all over the country.
Edit edit: No they don't nil stock or availability. bugger.
These Pirelli Cinturatos state that they're XL (Extra Load) in the link. Have you considered that XL tyres, because they have a stiffer sidewall, give a harder ride in a car which doesn't need them?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I've ordered some Cross Climate + and will see how they do... They say that they've got both summer, wet, and snow performance with low noise and rolling resistance. Quite a lot to live up to !
I'm also planning to fit a set of CrossClimate+ to my 30kWh Leaf in about a weeks time. I was going to wait until a bit closer to winter to get a little bit more out of the crappy Dunlop Enasave's first but I have an MOT due at the end of the month and as well as one tyre being a bit on the margin for tread depth at the edge I've just discovered another has a nail in the middle of the tread in one of the water channels! :rolleyes: (Not leaking though, who knows how long its been there, possibly longer than I've had the car as I haven't had it for long!)

So I thought it was only sensible to bring the new tyres forward a month or two - no point mucking around with a puncture repair (or summer tyre replacement) when I'm going to ditch the tyres for all seasons anyway.

I drove Vredestein Quatrac 5's (all season) for three years on my Ion and drove circles around all the summer tyre crowd whenever we got ice or snow so I have no intention of going back to trying to skulk through the winter on summer tyres as we have a couple of un-salted roads to get through on the daily commute that can be "fun" if it gets icy...

I plan to average one weeks worth of commuting consumption on the centre console the week before I change tyres, reset it and average a weeks travelling the week after - should be interesting to see if I notice any significant difference in consumption. (But to be honest even if I lose a few miles of the 110'ish I already have, the payback of a better tyre outweighs a slight range loss - the factory Dunlops are rubbish in the wet and almost certainly rubbish in winter as well)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These Pirelli Cinturatos state that they're XL (Extra Load) in the link. Have you considered that XL tyres, because they have a stiffer sidewall, give a harder ride in a car which doesn't need them?
The Cross Climate + i've ordered are also XL - and somewhere i think i read that XL can be a good option for EVs as they are heavier than average cars, and also have more torque - this combination means beefier tyres are recommended. I suspect it's marginal... Conversely, one might prefer light tyres on an EV, if conserving power is the goal.

I keep the tyres at 36psi, which probably gives a hard ride in whatever tyre you use (?).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, I did see that but for me the self-sealing overrides any other consideration apart from safety and noise levels.
Tony

1 - 20 of 78 Posts