Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had both rear tyres replaced on my Tesla Model 3 19" Sports wheels; original tyres lasted 18k miles with a little over 2mm wear left. As it's a company car, I have zero input as to what is installed, and ended up with Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 fitted vs the evo3 as per new. They're not the Tesla specific model, no TO marking nor any sign of foam insert when I saw them come off the van, but they do have a very pronounced rubber lip at the rim, which looks like it might go some way to improving rim rash risk vs the standard fit evo3. Will it make a difference? I'll report back. I can't say I've noticed any difference in noise of new tyres compared to old foam-fitted ones.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tread

Reactions: The Disconnector

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,588 Posts
The Pirelli P Zero seem to have big rim protectors on. Going to stick a set of 4 on my S as they have PZero already and the previous owner was a hopeless driver looking at the state of the tyres. Rim protectors have big chunks missing in one tyre and a couple of rips in others.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
It's a shame that low profile tyres that allow easy curbing have resulted in a demand for tyres with an ugly bulge near the rim like this... The tail wagging the dog surely. :p

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
697 Posts
.. a bulge hidden by the majority of car makers by choosing to fit tyres notably wider than the rims ..

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
.. a bulge hidden by the majority of car makers by choosing to fit tyres notably wider than the rims ..
I don't mind a bulge in the middle of the sidewall caused by the tyre being a bit wider than the rim overall. That was common years ago. The 205/60/15 tyres on my Xantia are significantly wider in the middle of the sidewall than the width of the rim (from the factory) and this gives good protection against curbing. (As well as the higher profile of course)

But a narrow bulge only at the edge of the rim looks weird to me especially when it's so pronounced.

Having tyres a little wider than the rims is beneficial for cornering too when the tyre tries to "roll off" the outside side of the rim. Making the rims too wide for a given tyre width is counter productive. (Also increases un-sprung weight unnecessarily)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts