Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its pretty good, there are a couple of pain points that people closer to BMW than me have said are being fixed, like not being able to easily click a button to start immediate charge.

As a picture is better than many words a couple of screenshots (obviously the efficiency one is when I wasn't driving like I had stole it :p)

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a representation of your driving style. Red tiles bad, blue tiles good, the center of the circle is your current position. Thats about as much as I have ever worked out what it means. There might be a manual somewhere that does a better job at explaining, but as a never read the manual for anything who knows :p.

Also another nifty thing, you can compare your stats with other i3 drivers globally.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Popped up on my Facebook feed.
Funny how they push sustainability with a one way thermoset oil based resin carbon fibre frame which can't ever be re-used by melting down again!? Last I knew that stuff gets burnt at sea to dispose of it as it gives off toxic smoke. It cant be chewed in to small peices without an asbestos like fibre being released.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@GBEV BMW already thought of that - they have recycling processes in place.

In keeping with its “cradle to grave” philosophy, BMW has also come up with what it claims is the world’s first CFRP recycling concept. Various body components, production waste and even parts from damaged i3’s will find their way back into production following a unique sorting process that separates “resinated” materials from non-resin parts. Excess CFRP cuttings, sans resin, that would normally be discarded are instead repurposed back into non-woven textiles and worked back into the vehicle. BMW claims around ten percent of the carbon fiber used in production of the i3 is derived from recycled materials.
http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-i3-mass-production-sustainability/27174/

Granted there are still un-recyclable bits, but they are going to some effort not to waste any of the CRFP, whether in production or damage/obsolete vehicles.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
@GBEV BMW already thought of that - they have recycling processes in place.

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-i3-mass-production-sustainability/27174/

Granted there are still un-recyclable bits, but they are going to some effort not to waste any of the CRFP, whether in production or damage/obsolete vehicles.
There are contradictions there. CFRP is Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic. No plastic (ie resin) no CFRP.
Yes they can chop up factory floor sweepings of woven carbon which has never seen any resin and make a very short carbon fibre "flox" which can be used locally as an insert adhesive in the process but that whole paragraph smacks of marketing hype for the vast majority with little idea of the materials' properties.
Sounds nice though!

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is true, it was the first article that I found. There is a proper technical document floating around that BMW published which is a lot more fact and less fluff, but I can't find it.

I may be naively assuming here that if you were to invest so much money (as an engineering company) in a new set of products based around sustainability and all the other buzz words you wouldn't be so stupid as to overlook the end-of-life recycling aspect of things.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This is true, it was the first article that I found. There is a proper technical document floating around that BMW published which is a lot more fact and less fluff, but I can't find it.

I may be naively assuming here that if you were to invest so much money (as an engineering company) in a new set of products based around sustainability and all the other buzz words you wouldn't be so stupid as to overlook the end-of-life recycling aspect of things.
I think they could rightly claim an energy consumption bonus for the reduced weight over the life of the vehicle but to describe CFRP as sustainable is just plain wrong on so many fronts.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
God that was dull lol, I'm just not a fan of the car you look at the i8 and then the i3 the designer was having an off day, it reminds me of my dads old lada Riva

1 - 13 of 13 Posts