Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just purchased a 2013 Volt with 103,000 miles, previously owned by an EV enthusiast and despite only covering around 300 miles so far I'm loving it!

Can anyone recommend a dealer or independent in the South West, ideally somewhere between Exeter and Plymouth area but I'm willing to travel, who they know from experience I could trust with any issues I may need addressing?

Enjoying reading the other members' comments, I really appreciate any advice offered. :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi all, I've just purchased a 2013 Volt with 103,000 miles, previously owned by an EV enthusiast and despite only covering around 300 miles so far I'm loving it!

Can anyone recommend a dealer or independent in the South West, ideally somewhere between Exeter and Plymouth area but I'm willing to travel, who they know from experience I could trust with any issues I may need addressing?

Enjoying reading the other members' comments, I really appreciate any advice offered. :)
Welcome. Two Volt owner also in south-west (ish). My recommendation is Bellingers near Oxford. It's a long way for you but it's worth it, as they really know their stuff. There's a lot of Volt/Ampera owners on here that use them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. Two Volt owner also in south-west (ish). My recommendation is Bellingers near Oxford. It's a long way for you but it's worth it, as they really know their stuff. There's a lot of Volt/Ampera owners on here that use them.
Thank you Roger, I'll look into them as I do travel in that direction from time to time. Are you based in the SW?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thank you Roger, I'll look into them as I do travel in that direction from time to time. Are you based in the SW?
Right on the edge of what I'd call the SW. Bath area. I've been taking our Volts to Bellingers for five years, both in and out of warranty. My 2013 model is still under the HV warranty, whereas my wife's 2012 model is now out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome, I'm dorset/somerset based most of the time but get down to exeter and plymouth a fair bit with work. Hope to see you about. Mine is always filthy and on winter wheels from october to march, so you can't miss me.

I believe Eden in Exeter can service the Vampera - they divide their tech between Poole and Exeter apparently

·
Registered
308 Posts
Another welcome to our exclusive club and another vote for Bellinger. I do not routinely service mine (because they do not need much) but have been happy with the above for sorting the single problem that I have had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, I'm Dorset / Somerset based most of the time but get down to Exeter and Plymouth a fair bit with work. Hope to see you about. Mine is always filthy and on winter wheels from October to march, so you can't miss me.

I believe Eden in Exeter can service the Vampera - they divide their tech between Poole and Exeter apparently
Hi Hugh

Many thanks for the welcome and the info....love the Vampera name!

My steed is a 2013 model with just over 100,000 miles and is showing 56% of oil life left...I'm a competent home mechanic and have an awareness of HV safety & working practices so I'm confident with minor/routine mechanical service work but wouldn't even attempt to go anywhere near the electrical /HV systems.

Is there any preventative maintenance that you'd recommend at this age/mileage? There's no record of any cooling system flush which I've seen references to on various forums....is this something I should consider??

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
T
Hi Hugh

Many thanks for the welcome and the info....love the Vampera name!

My steed is a 2013 model with just over 100,000 miles and is showing 56% of oil life left...I'm a competent home mechanic and have an awareness of HV safety & working practices so I'm confident with minor/routine mechanical service work but wouldn't even attempt to go anywhere near the electrical /HV systems.

Is there any preventative maintenance that you'd recommend at this age/mileage? There's no record of any cooling system flush which I've seen references to on various forums....is this something I should consider??
The oil life indicator is a simple calendar based countdown over 2 years; it has no idea of the actual condition of the oil. Just change it (and the filter) every 2 years then reset the counter yourself.

I wouldn't personally bother with the coolant flush. I only had it done on one of the Volts to keep the warranty intact. As your car is over 100k it's out of warranty so not much point. Actually the flush itself can cause issues, so best leave well alone. Do check the levels regularly though, and top-up with premixed dexcool if needed.

The only other preventative maintenance would be brake fluid and rebuilding\lubricating the brakes (especially the rears) every couple of years, as they are prone to seizing up. Nothing on the HV side needs any maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks, Roger, appreciated.
Is there a competitive supplier for the pre-mix Dexcool, would I find it in ECP or Halfords for example or is it a Vauxhall dealer supply only?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'd get it from a Vauxhall dealer; it's not expensive. However if the levels change then something might be wrong; they shouldn't change from one year to the next. I've never had to top it up in 5 years.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is worth topping up the right hand (as you look from the driver's seat, left if looking from under the bonnet) header tank to near the top. It was initially filled half way and was later specced to be filled to the top seam to give more leeway if a slow leak developed or air bubbles worked their way out of the system. If the low fluid level fault is tripped it is not an easy reset.

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 for Bellingers. Have had a 2013 Volt from new (now 69,250 miles) and each year it goes there for a service and an MoT. It is a bit of a trek from Devon/Somerset border. Will be selling it in March and it has been a brilliant car but we are finally going to be an all BEV family (e-Niro 4).

PS I have a date of the end of this month for the replacement Kia so if anyone wants a well-loved Volt it is here Autotrader Ad

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Eden in Exeter for the warranty items - they do have access to a EV technician. But it is a Vauxhall dealer, so you have to get used to the indifferent customer care, and be prepared to manage the various departments that don't seem to talk to each other!!

However, I do all the servicing and diagnostics myself, so not sure how good they are at those.

Antony
Exmouth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use Eden in Exeter for the warranty items - they do have access to a EV technician. But it is a Vauxhall dealer, so you have to get used to the indifferent customer care, and be prepared to manage the various departments that don't seem to talk to each other!!

However, I do all the servicing and diagnostics myself, so not sure how good they are at those.

Antony
Exmouth.
Thanks Anthony, good to know there's another Vampera owner nearby, we used to frequent Exmouth on a regular basis until the recent CV situation, hopefully, we will be back soon.

As it happens since I posted this I've been into Eden to get some Dexcool and the parts department were very helpful so I'll try them if I need their assistance. I've also done the oil & filter change now and have just clocked up 3,000 miles since recent purchase...! Not moved for a while now though.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts