Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Good morning @gladini ,

Yesterday's journey saw 28 miles on pure EV before the ICE kicked in.
thank you - wow. ( and it will be useful real world for those thinking of this car

so 72% of the advertised "up to in theory, for comparison purposes only" 39miles value

72% of my Golfs' GTE "up to 31 miles" would have been 22 miles, and in fact with aircon on and generally not trying hard that's about what I got. I could get higher in summer + apollo13 mode ( almost 27 was house record I think )

Must admit was expecting your number higher, but the maths compares.

Reactions: Cubbington

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
thank you - wow. ( and it will be useful real world for those thinking of this car

so 72% of the advertised "up to in theory, for comparison purposes only" 39miles value

72% of my Golfs' GTE "up to 31 miles" would have been 22 miles, and in fact with aircon on and generally not trying hard that's about what I got. I could get higher in summer + apollo13 mode ( almost 27 was house record I think )

Must admit was expecting your number higher, but the maths compares.
Thanks Gladini, good to know your figures are somewhere near the same, percentage-wise.

You worded it better than I did - I always have climate control on, and wasn't trying to drive exceptionally economically, just going with the flow of normal traffic, etc. I do have the car set in comfort mode, as it makes the suspension nice and comfy...not sure if 'normal' changes throttle response at all, from all I can tell, it stiffens the suspension slightly.

I really do take those official figures with a pinch of salt, so was quite happy with the 28 miles. I'm not sure if it will improve over time as the manual states that the battery may not have full capacity until it's had a few charge cycles on it.

I'm up to Scotland for a week's holiday tomorrow, so will be good to see how it fares on a long run; very much doubt I'm going to get any charging completed on the journey, but will be able to charge it at the cottage we're staying in, so hopefully a very economical week.

Nick

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
I really do take those official figures with a pinch of salt,

I'm up to Scotland for a week's holiday tomorrow, so will be good to see how it fares on a long run; very much doubt I'm going to get any charging completed on the journey, but will be able to charge it at the cottage we're staying in, so hopefully a very economical week.

Nick
a) you're right -- mfgs should really really add explicitly " for comparison purposes only "
eg your car vs Skoda Superb or BMW 530e Touring .... not the " and you might get this on warm odd-numbered Tuesdays"
Still, you will love trying to max it out, eek it out --- and then say sod and press the Got Two Engines button.

b) Long trips - remember to use hybrid asap and not let the battery get to zero when you've miles still to drive. That was my tried and tested method to get 55-58mpg out of my GTE on long runs including both motorway and very big city centres.

Reactions: Cubbington

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Agreed, those official 39 miles have been squeezed out with a base-spec car, with an empty fuel tank on an oval test track with all the door seals and panel gaps taped up for maximum efficiency...

I am enjoying playing around with my driving styles, and I like your moniker for the GTE button!

One question you may also be able to help with, if not, I'll post in the VW section; how do you permanently disable the lane assist? Going into thin lanes in roadworks, and a couple of roads near me that have had single to dual carriageway conversion done has the car fighting me to go where it thinks is the middle of the lane - I hate it (it's the only thing I do hate, BTW)! I disable it in settings, then sync my user profile, but it comes back on every time I get in the car!

Thanks again for the tips re. maximising the battery potential on longer trips...not sure how many miles I'm going to get out of EV with these on the roof tomorrow though!!!

I'll leave the car in hybrid, and just look at the mpg when we get up there, apparently it's a 490 mile trip, so have brimmed the tank and am going to see if we can do it without filling up - I used to get about 550 miles to a tank in my Octavia 4x4 2.0TDI, so will be interesting to see what this heavier, smaller tanked wagon will do.

Will report back MPG and thoughts when we're back!

Have a great weekend all,

Nick

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I believe the Lane Assist gadget(s) are required to get NCAP 5* rating, so by law have to be on every time you switch on. It's a pain in my Ioniq, but at least it's a single button press to disable the dangerous behaviour where it tries to yank me back towards the middle of the road when I've pulled onto the verge to let oncomers pass on very narrow country lanes, not to mention tugging at me when crossing lanes on duals/motorways. Hate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Nice colour!
Thanks, VW's colour options are pretty plain, apart from this!

I believe the Lane Assist gadget(s) are required to get NCAP 5* rating, so by law have to be on every time you switch on. It's a pain in my Ioniq, but at least it's a single button press to disable the dangerous behaviour where it tries to yank me back towards the middle of the road when I've pulled onto the verge to let oncomers pass on very narrow country lanes, not to mention tugging at me when crossing lanes on duals/motorways. Hate it.
Thanks @HandyAndy , I thought this might be the case, but worth checking. Like you I find it's random tugging when it thinks it's right distracting - you've reminded me that there is a button to access the assistance menus on the indicator stalk, so you don't have to go through and disable it via the infotainment system.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed, those official 39 miles have been squeezed out with a base-spec car, with an empty fuel tank on an oval test track with all the door seals and panel gaps taped up for maximum efficiency...

I am enjoying playing around with my driving styles, and I like your moniker for the GTE button!

One question you may also be able to help with, if not, I'll post in the VW section; how do you permanently disable the lane assist? Going into thin lanes in roadworks, and a couple of roads near me that have had single to dual carriageway conversion done has the car fighting me to go where it thinks is the middle of the lane - I hate it (it's the only thing I do hate, BTW)! I disable it in settings, then sync my user profile, but it comes back on every time I get in the car!

Thanks again for the tips re. maximising the battery potential on longer trips...not sure how many miles I'm going to get out of EV with these on the roof tomorrow though!!!

I'll leave the car in hybrid, and just look at the mpg when we get up there, apparently it's a 490 mile trip, so have brimmed the tank and am going to see if we can do it without filling up - I used to get about 550 miles to a tank in my Octavia 4x4 2.0TDI, so will be interesting to see what this heavier, smaller tanked wagon will do.

View attachment 149097

Will report back MPG and thoughts when we're back!

Have a great weekend all,

Nick
I suspected that tests were performed on a rolling road with no wind resistance.

A load on the roof, or even just the bars, will affect airo and reduce range and mpg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Well after an amazing week on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, which include a fair amount of kayaking, sea loch swimming and swimming in Fingal's Cave on Staffa(!), the Arteon was a joy to be in on the journey there and back!

We didn't use it much during our stay, however over 488 mile journey back which included an awful lot of traffic jams, slow progress through Glencoe and mile after mile of motorway it managed an impressive 43.5mpg overall. That was with charging it before we left, and managing to grab a quick 45 charge at a service station, giving about 30 EV miles overall.

What was interesting was the ability to charge in Scotland - it would appear that it's a government funded scheme and I completed two successful charges, one at a hotel on the first night as the traffic was so bad we missed the ferry, and the second charge at the Corran ferry terminal to Staffa - marked as the most westerly point on the UK Mainland. I'm yet to be charged for the topup at the hotel, but the ferry terminal was free, and now it's over 10 days since charging at the hotel, I think that may be free too (although the website said otherwise).

I just find it ironic that London's infrastructure on first experience is rubbish, and I've had two out of two options to charge the car in the middle of nowhere...

That GTE button is good too when you're stuck behind dawdlers ;-)

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Nick,
I'm currently considering the Arteon Shooting brake Hybrid. I'm completely unfamiliar with Hybrid Driving mods, but lets assume you were doing a 70 mile motorway journey in GTE mode. How much "charge" would that use? Or what mode would you use when on the motorway.
I'm manly getting the hybrid for local driving but am used to a 2.0 TDI o so also wonder how well it pulls from say 50-70, for overtaking and the like. Is it nippy as such?

Any further experience great appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Mike,

Good questions, however I'm not sure how helpful my answers will be!

Having covered a sniff under 7k miles in a wide variety of conditions from long motorway journeys to horrendous stop-start traffic in London the car has averaged 56mpg (according to the OBC).

I charge it religiously when it's parked up at home, however, I've only charged it a handful of times out and about due to lack of infrastructure or cost of charging been more expensive than running on ICE (I registered for Source London and calculated that using their network would cost 49.5p/mile, running it on ICE is around 14p/mile!).

I don't generally drive it set to GTE mode, leaving that for moments when I want to overtake slow moving traffic on a national speed limit road for instance, where you an overtake quickly enough for it to be safe...I wouldn't try that in pure electric or ICE modes, as it's not a fast car, but perfectly adequate for day-to-day driving.

There is a caveat to safe overtaking on a national speed limit road, and that's down to the lane assist, which is on as standard when you start the car - it's really aggressive and will fight to keep you in the lane...if you see the opportunity to overtake, it's not fast enough to react to a quick swipe of the indicator stalk and feels really uncomfortable when you cross into the other side of the road, and then have to fight it to get back to the correct side of the road. The first nasty experience of this was travelling in the Dutch countryside a few weeks ago; it was a road wide enough for two cars, but with thin cycle lanes marked on either side of the road, and even with oncoming traffic, the car fought to keep us within the lines and heading toward the oncoming cars! Thankfully VW have put a button on indicator stalk so you can disable it quickly without having to go into the car's menus.

Moving on from that, I specced the full traffic assist package with auto steering, which does make driving long journeys very relaxing in combination with adaptive cruise control. It's not perfect, and occasionally in squashed lanes through road works on the motorway it'll bong and tell you to drive in the middle of the lane where it's obviously picked up the remains of old road markers, but I'd rather have the system than not.

Motorway acceleration is good, and I don't really feel any need to put it into GTE mode if I want to overtake something in normal traffic.

That being said, I have tried it a couple of times doing a complete journey in GTE mode and it does charge the battery slightly - I noticed that I had gone up a plip on the battery level gauge after a 100 mile journey a few weeks ago.

It's clever enough to manage the battery usage when using the built in satnav, but...like most built in satnav systems, it's pretty rubbish, I try to use it every now and again, but then it let's me down by taking me on convoluted routes or to closed roads, which are even showing as closed on the screen! As such, I've tried using Apple Maps, as the route guidance is shown on the dashboard as per the in built system, and I think it manages the battery in the same way...but, Apple Maps is weird in its own way, so I default to Google Maps and just let the battery manage itself.

All of the above is used via Apple CarPlay, which I've found gives a more reliable connection wirelessly than hard-wired - as with my previous Skoda sometime connecting the phone with a cable before the system boots up causes the phone not to be seen and I often had and have to reboot both phone and system, so it must be a VAG thing, as I don't have any problems connecting the phone in other cars. That being said, I really like the simplicity and ease of use of the VAG system - by comparison I test drove a Volvo V60 and the system in that was infuriating (especially without CarPlay), and my wife has a Smart which was specced with the nav/media system, and is just plain dangerous to use as it needs so many button presses to do anything - as soon as I find a suitable aftermarket system to replace that I will, and ceremoniously burn it!!!

The only thing it's missing is a wireless charging pad as the USB ports are in the centre console under the armrest, and VW supply a really short lead, only long enough for the phone to fit in the console, which is really tight, especially if you actually want to store anything - I've got a longer cable and put the phone in the storage compartment where the wireless charging pad should be, but it's an untidy solution. I've asked VW if the charging pad can be retrofitted, as it's part of the large screen satnav package, which is a crazy £1,400 option now, and I don't think it offers anything over the standard system other than a larger screen - the standard system (at least in my car) came with the full online We Connect Plus package.

I like my sounds, and I did a complete stealth install in my last car including fully sound-deadening it and full digital EQ-ing, so the standard system in the Arteon was never going to compete, however it's OK, I think helped by the Acoustic Pack. I've set the fader forward as (like my Skoda) the EQ on the rear speakers is very odd and in my opinion has a detrimental effect on the sound, but that's all personal preference! Sadly, the Harman/Kardon hifi option isn't available in the hybrid as the subwoofer sits where the battery is...

It's a wonderful, comfortable car for long journeys, I specced the fully electric nappa leather seats and acoustic pack (double glazed front windows and additional sound deadening), and everybody comments on how quiet it is, and I love driving on electric wherever possible - this is the first car in years where stop/start actually works, as there's no hesitation of an engine needing to fire up when you want to pull away! It's also pretty rare - I've seen 3 shooting brakes and a handful of fastbacks since owning it, all of which were in my opinion boring grey or black...it needs a bright colour to really show it off, and it always turns heads!

My only gripe is that it can lose traction if pulling away from a junction spiritedly - this is no fault of the car, but I came from a 4-wheel drive diesel fitted with Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres, so am used to having more grip in wet ad damp conditions. When the standard Pirelli tyres are worn, I will ask the lease company to fit all-seasons.

So the killer question, would I buy one with my own money? No! As a company car it works out perfectly from a BIK point of view, but if it were a personal purchase I don't think the saving of running it on electric would outweigh the cost of the car (unless you're only doing journeys where you'd never need to use ICE). If it were my own money, it would be a close-run thing between the 190bhp petrol version I test drove, or just go whole-hog and buy the 300bhp 4 wheel drive R...

Dare I say it though, I would also look at a Skoda Superb...they are cheaper to buy outright and have a bigger boot (although the Arteon's is still massive), I specced one up similarly to the Arteon which was a few £k cheaper in cash terms, but the lease cost was almost 10% more than the Arteon! The Superb doesn't look as pretty (but you comparing curves vs. sharp angles, and the Superb is still a great looking car), but a Sport Line in Dragon Green Metallic really pushes my buttons, and the Canton hifi option is available in the hybrid...but I really like the exclusivity of the Arteon ;)

Hope that helps!

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Nick,
That is amazing, thank you. You preempting my question on the stereo is a nice touch. I'm mad about my music when driving and the standard system in the B7 Passat is good enough, so if you are satisfied, that's reassuring.

I love my Passat but live right on the ULEZ borders. I fell in love with the Arteons looks first, then the interior and had decided on the 2.0TSI until I came to my senses. I'll be buying it with my own money and have long grown out of fast cars with high running costs.
So from my point of view it's low cost local driving, great looks and a nice place to be, with the option to stretch it's legs on the family holiday and days out when required.

I'm going all out on the options, so will have the uprated Nav for the wireless charging as well as the XDS front diff. It's nice to see these are gripes of yours that I can overcome. My intention is to keep the car long term.

I've heard a few stories about the Lane assist and am hoping OBDeleven has a fix to turn it off permanently.

I really appreciate such an in depth reply to my questions. I'll be going Pyrite silver which I think really shows the curves, albeit delivery could be 9 months!

All very exciting, thank you again!!!

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi Mike,

You're more than welcome, and glad it helped!

Sounds like you've made your mind up - the test car I drove was in Pyrite Silver and looked gorgeous, so you've made a good choice.

With regards to my comment about the wheels losing traction, I wish I'd ticked the XDS diff option, so I'm sure it'll be worthwhile, and hey, the large screen satnav system is worth it if you want that wireless charging pad.

I did a decent round trip to Bristol today (about 80 miles of mixed roads and motorway), and decided to drive with lane assist & traffic assist (auto steering) off, and just use the adaptive cruise control - it was much nicer to drive - I'd forgotten how much intervention the autonomous steering does with it's constant fidgeting and adjusting position in the lane. The drive felt much smoother, so I think I'm going to learn how to drive again and not use it for a while!

With regards to the stereo, the one thing I am still toying with is purchasing the same amplifier I fitted to the Skoda, as it's a plug'n'play intended for the likes of company/lease cars which obviously need to be returned unmolested at the end of the lease:

It's a tiny unit, and you buy the matching in-line harness for your particular car so it can be removed really easily and doesn't get bypass any of the car's original functionality.

Here's the link too the install project I posted on Briskoda:

I went to town, with some problems on the way, but if you just want a decent upgrade then it really is plug and play!

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Nick,
Good to hear it's a better drive with the assists turned off. I can't imagine i'd want to use them too much in flowing traffic but in stop start it sounds like a dream lol.

That Amp looks amazing and a great recommendation. I'll have to wait and see how I get on, my music taste is starting to match my car choices. lol, middle of the road (without the lane assist...yet lol) so I may be OK. Great write up on Briskoda!

I'm going to view a Pyrite at the weekend. Annoyingly there isn't a Hybrid within 50 miles of London for me to test drive. :mad: so it's going to be a bit of a blind purchase. Mind you I've got plenty of time to find one to test drive and change my mind.

Thanks again for your insight!!

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi Mike,

Yes, it actually felt like I was having some input in to where I was going!!!

And yes, the adaptive cruise control is lovely in stop start traffic...just having to give the accelerator pedal a dab to get going from a stop is good, just don't forget that it doesn't have traffic light recognition ;)

The amp is a stunning piece of kit, and once the system was completely dialled in, the imaging was staggering - voices were right in front of me, rather than coming from the doors, and the bass integrated beautifully as I'd set the sub up to blend in naturally like in a proper hifi system, rather than boy-racer boom-boom-boom. Thanks for the kind words on the write up, and funnily enough one of my mates wanted first refusal on the car when I sold it, and has been utterly delighted with it!

I just dug these photos of the car I test drove, so hopefully it'll give you even more of an idea of how good it looks in Pyrite Silver!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Tire

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
\

And here's a snapshot of the MPG from yesterday's journeys, in the morning I had to do a stop-off in Swindon and was playing about with GTE and battery regeneration driving modes, and in the afternoon it was a direct journey home, leaving the car in hybrid & normal driving mode:

Azure Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

I think that even though you can't test a hybrid, you'll fall for the car when you see it - the hybrid's drivetrain is lovely, and whilst it is far from being a performance car day-to-day, it's ideally suited to it's long legged nature.

Have fun, and let us know how you get on!

Best,

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
the more I see the Pyrite, the more it looks like a Grey than a silver. your photo's really show the "flatness" of it, which I love. I wonder if you could fit a little custom sub enclosure in the boot bulge on the passenger side.....
I love the gimmick of the Hybrid. I can having fun driving the slowest of cars and will no doubt enjoy playing around with all the modes.
I'm just hoping my new contract comes through before VW put prices up. :(

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hi Mike,

Totally agree that they could've fitted the sub in the boot bulge, but not on the passenger side - I popped that off the other day and it's where the 12v battery lives. But there is the space on the driver's side.

I also looked at the Peugeot 508SW Hybrid (although never test-drove it), even on the hybrid the top spec model comes with the Focal hifi with sub in the side of the boot, and the V60 hybrid has their 'Air Subwoofer' even on the standard spec stereo!

Not the sole reason for buying a car though, as I found after test driving the V60!

Yes, get that contract signed - when I specced the car, the large screen satnav you're going for was 'only' £600.00...

And as you say, 9 months waiting time - I ordered a New Motion charger a few weeks ago and was told 4-5 months because of the global chip shortage...

Have a good evening,

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
so....
I went to order the Arteon yesterday, and the salesman is tapping away. Then he says, "These options aren't available on this model."

XDS diff
Heated Outer rear seats.

I'm like, they are, go check. So off he goes and after a while comes back with a sheet from head office. Bad news 3 weeks ago a whole raft of optional extras were deleted, including these two.

So I'm sat there. This is a 100% HEART purchase and all of a sudden I can't have the top top spec. So my head gets a sniff of this and steps in. I hold back from placing my order.
If i bought it and then in 6 months see an example with all the options, I'll be pissed.

So, head thinks, if we are compromising, why not be really sensible. So, I have a little search for Passat GTE's.
Turns out another branch of the same dealer has a 68 plate, GTE advanced, in white, in stock.

So it doesn't have the HUD, heated rear seats (or heated steering wheel) nor the XDS diff, but it has power boot, Discover Pro, leather, pano roof and is, of course the same Hybrid underneath.

For HALF the money.

So I think, buy that, run it and keep an eye on used and ex demo Arteons OR pick up a used Arteon that's already shit the bed in depreciation, in 2 years time.

So, I bought a very nice, white Passat GTE Advance. Pick it up Monday

What a week!

Thanks again for all your advice, your comments on the XDS diff really helped

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
A real head over heart decision. You'll find your ideal spec in a couple of years, or your heart will have moved on. :rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts