Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost made it to 6 weeks old without a mark on it and a blooming great lorry had a pile of something fall off the back and hit my windscreen. Huge crack within seconds so had to call the insurance company to arrange replacement.

Slightly wary as hubby's previous car squeaked like mad after a screen replacement and a noise like that will be even more obvious in an EV.

Gutted is not the word. I've been so careful everywhere and then this :(

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That's really bad luck. Bloody HGVs...

20-something years ago I was driving along the M25 at about 8 a.m. and, surprisingly enough, going at some 70mph. There was a large skip-type lorry, about the height of a double decker bus, in front of me with its gigantic skip covered by a tarpaulin. Suddenly a large sheet of ice lifted itself off the top of the tarpaulin, where I imagine a pool of water had formed and frozen overnight, and curved gently through the air straight at my windscreen. There was nothing I could do to avoid it and it was almost a brown trousers moment for all of us in the car: I worked for HMCE at the time and a few of us were heading for some meeting or other in Liverpool.

The ice smashed into the windscreen and shattered into tiny shards. Luckily, the windscreen remained intact. As it happens, it was a hire car, a Renault Laguna IIRC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I feel your pain. Had the same happen with my hybrid after only a few weeks of ownership. Gutted!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Almost made it to 6 weeks old without a mark on it and a blooming great lorry had a pile of something fall off the back and hit my windscreen. Huge crack within seconds so had to call the insurance company to arrange replacement.

Slightly wary as hubby's previous car squeaked like mad after a screen replacement and a noise like that will be even more obvious in an EV.

Gutted is not the word. I've been so careful everywhere and then this :(
You should be glad that crack wasn't your head lol! I know it's gutting but no one was hurt and a windscreen isn't the end of the world. Just make sure it's right before you sign the work off if possible. Just trying to put +ve spin on it :)

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
That's really bad luck. Bloody HGVs...

Suddenly a large sheet of ice lifted itself off the top of the tarpaulin, where I imagine a pool of water had formed and frozen overnight, and curved gently through the air straight at my windscreen. There was nothing I could do to avoid it ...
That reminds me of being on a motorbike coming up behind a truck and seeing a large stone come up from the wheel, again with curved trajectory before hitting the top of my visor. It seemed to happen in slow motion:eek: but was probably almost instantaneous.

You should be glad that crack wasn't your head lol!
Fortunately in my case it was just my head and not anything valuable like a screen:confused:.

Sorry to hear the bad news though @Bikerchickone

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waiting for them to turn up now. Unfortunately I've got to go and sort my horses out so hubby has been left with strict instructions to make sure it's perfect and threatened with torture if he lets them stick anything on the windscreen! I absolutely hate stickers on cars and managed not to have anything on Evie so far because we now don't need a tax disc ;)

All your stories remind me of being on my motorbike on the M26 once and coming up behind a car with a wheelchair strapped on the back.. One of the wheels fell off and bounced all over the road almost giving me heart failure before harmlessly sailing past me! Like you say nobody got hurt, just my bank account! Good thing I'm saving on fuel ;)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I briefly had a collect and deliver job with Autoglass. One day I collected an almost new VW from the customers workplace to have a cracked windscreen replaced. Later in the day I was driving the car back along the motorway, a 10 mile trip, when I saw a large stone dislodge from between the rear wheels of a lorry bounce once and sail majestically , and Oh so slowly, onto the pristine and shiny new screen of the VW. Luckily the owner of the car was in a good mood and accepted that the now much bigger crack was part of lifes rich tapestry. The next day I managed to deliver the car with another new screen.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That reminds me of being on a motorbike coming up behind a truck and seeing a large stone come up from the wheel, again with curved trajectory before hitting the top of my visor. It seemed to happen in slow motion:eek: but was probably almost instantaneous.

Fortunately in my case it was just my head and not anything valuable like a screen:confused:.

Sorry to hear the bad news though @Bikerchickone
Your still here to tell the tale so again could have been worse! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New windscreen is in and sticker free much to hubby's relief ;) I'm yet to test drive but apparently it's a proper Nissan one and all the necessary parts have been changed. The fitter also told hubby it went in perfectly and he's confident it'll be fine.

It was the first Leaf he'd done so he spent some time talking to hubby about it. Then had to ask for help to start it and test the sensors ;) fingers crossed all will be well!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I almost lost a tandem wheel once when I had the back half of the bike strapped to the back of the car.

It was one of the first occasions that I had transported the tandem like this and it simply did not occur to me that the QR skewer in the back wheel might not be as tight as it should have been. I was heading up the A12 at about 70mph when two cars in succession hooted at me. I looked in the mirror and couldn't see the back wheel, which is a bit alarming because those wheels are about £1000 a throw (google Rohloff to find out why...).

As luck would have it, the chain and the gear cable stopped the wheel from escaping completely and the only damage it suffered was a bit of unusual tyre wear.

I don't use a bike rack now because the tandem will fit inside a Leaf, but after that I always made sure that the wheel's rim was firmly strapped to the frame.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
I don't use a bike rack now because the tandem will fit inside a Leaf,
I would be interested to see this if you have a photo. I struggled to get my bike into the Leaf and due to lack of time and planning ended up taking the front wheel out although I now think I could have managed without. I would not have imagined fitting a tandem inside the Leaf.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would be interested to see this if you have a photo. I struggled to get my bike into the Leaf and due to lack of time and planning ended up taking the front wheel out although I now think I could have managed without. I would not have imagined fitting a tandem inside the Leaf.
I always put my road bike in the back with both wheels on quite easily. Though will need to take off the clip on mudguards.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My tandem has S & S couplings, which means it comes apart. My wife and I are putting the rear end in the car in this photo - that's my wife's leg on the left.

You can see the front leaning against the fence. I take the stoker's bars off and the back slides in easily. It goes in more easily still if I can be arsed to take the pedals off. The photo was taken behind the Green Man pub in Long Itchington, Warks, where we had been on a cycling/camping weekend in May.

Thorn have a brochure about their tandems here:-

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornRavenTwinBroHiRes.pdf

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bad luck to have your windscreen brown like this. On my previous car, the wind screen got damaged by a pebble or little stone. It was replaced under insurance fortunately. But the day I picked it up from repair, I hadn't even done 40 miles, it got hit by another little stone. I had to take it back to get it resined the same day...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bad luck to have your windscreen brown like this. On my previous car, the wind screen got damaged by a pebble or little stone. It was replaced under insurance fortunately. But the day I picked it up from repair, I hadn't even done 40 miles, it got hit by another little stone. I had to take it back to get it resined the same day...
That really is bad luck :( I'm not daring t say anything else about mine in case I jinx it! Hope yours is still going strong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That really is bad luck :( I'm not daring t say anything else about mine in case I jinx it! Hope yours is still going strong.
Well, I have some stories to tell about that one... So many bad luck moments such as a metal strip piercing the grille and the turbo charger, being hit by another car who didn't leave a note, the windscreen as mentioned. Funny thing is that all these were external issues, and the car itself presented little problems. Still I was glad to sell it to get the LEAF instead.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My windscreen is also now cracked, didn't seem to take much of a hit either. My old beemer used to survive much heftier whacks. Wonder if Nissan have compromised too much with weight saving?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts