Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My Passat's 1st MOT is due mid March, and I have picked up a big (over 10mm dia) stone chip, right in the drivers eye line. Not possible to repair due to its size / location, so have booked a new windscreen fitting next week with Autoglass. My insurance company's recommended glass fitters.

Autoglass say; "we only use glass manufactured to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) standards, whether sourced from original equipment manufacturers or other suppliers, ensuring that the glass we fit is as good as the original piece of glass we are replacing."

It will take 3 hours, as they need to recalibrate the sensors up in the top of the windscreen.

I'm guessing the sensors are Rain sensors (auto wipers), Light sensors (auto headlights) and maybe (pedestrian) crash detection ? Anyone know what is up their behind the glass ?

Has anyone ever used Autoglass or had one of their non OEM windscreens fitted ?

I notice my current screen has the black dots up top around border of screen near rear view mirror which stop's the sunlight blinding you. I assume these replacement wont have this feature, or the VW logo on the glass?

I'm really nervous about such a thing being replaced ! Its integral to the safety and overall strength of the car. I had a S-Max that had a chipped windscreen and for years I drove it as it wasn't an MOT failure. It never grew, cracked it just sat there. I would have done the same with this chip, but it will fail its MOT, so it has to be done.

Whats also making it worse is that I cant stay and watch them doing the work due to covid, so I just drop it off, hand them the key, and leave :(:cautious:

Thoughts / Experiences with these things ?

Cheers

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, I've had a few replaced over the years, the latest in my old Transit Custom in November. This had light and rain sensors and the black dots etc. The guy came to my office and I left him to it. No issues at all after, nothing leaked and everything worked as it should. And for a Ford Transit Custom thats unusual!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts