Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Outlander
4,519 Posts
Is it true that the displayed 0%-100% battery capacity translates into 20%-80% of the actual physical battery capacity? If so, maybe someone could remove the safety barriers and release the hidden battery capacity?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
16kWh capacity 10.4kWh usable, 30% to 95%.
See chevy volt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is someone in Canada who can modify the programming and release some more of the very conservative battery buffers. I'm sure he used to offer it for MY2013 cars but it now states only for 2014/5 gen 1 cars -

MODULE EFFECTS + 20%

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
I spent 30 mins yesterday @ 90mph and would love to remove the limiter. But to my understanding, higher speed would only last until battery is depleted and ICE would not be able to sustain more than 100mph as it only has 83hp?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I suspect you're about right there. Besides, you won't have much acceleration in hand once you're doing 100, even with electricity in the battery. I tried it out on an autobahn briefly, for interest. Limiter cut in at something like indicated 102, which was probably a true 95.I wouldn't personally want to cruise very long at that sort of speed.

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
I cruised 30 min at 155km/h indicated (which should be ~96mph true GPS speed when corrected for speedo error). I found Ampera to be really good hi-speed cruiser. ICE is not heard at speed and combination of low drag and high weight make it very stable compared to lighter cars. No issues at all. Average consumption at 155kmh indicated was 9.3L/100km (measured over period of 30 min, including engine warm-up).

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
That's 2.05 UK gallons for 62.1371 miles, so =UK 30.3 mpg . Nice to know, thx!

·
Registered
100 Posts
But to my understanding, higher speed would only last until battery is depleted and ICE would not be able to sustain more than 100mph as it only has 83hp?
The same 1.4 is also used in the Astra from the same year(s) and it has a top speed of just over 100mph but weighs some 200kg less so I very much doubt the ICE would be able to sustain anything more than100mph alone.

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
The same 1.4 is also used in the Astra from the same year(s) and it has a top speed of just over 100mph but weighs some 200kg less so I very much doubt the ICE would be able to sustain anything more than100mph alone.
Weight has very little influence in top speed. It is rolling resistance, gearing and aerodynamic drag that limit top speed. Ampera being rather slippy, I reckon it would be able to do at little bit more, but not much. (I imagine being able to perform the same on ICE and leccy is the true reason of 100mph limit, not motor RPM's as suggested in some other threads).

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
Does anyone know how this limiter removal can be done? I would love to do it on my car, even if it only works for short spurts of speed (given lethargic ICE engine). I've hit 169km/h limiter many times and it feels like it has a lot to give.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know how this limiter removal can be done? I would love to do it on my car, even if it only works for short spurts of speed (given lethargic ICE engine). I've hit 169km/h limiter many times and it feels like it has a lot to give.
The guy in the video used HPTuners although I'm not 100% sure it is compatible with the Ampera (they don't list it as supported but being an American company why would they list it as anything other than a Volt)
Its certainly not cheap though.

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
Perhaps there is a way to change some register in GDS2 to achieve this? I believe HPTuners does not interpret the numbers correctly, what he thinks is "158 mph" -limit is probably 158km/h ... which is where my Ampera looses steam according to GPS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Perhaps there is a way to change some register in GDS2 to achieve this? I believe HPTuners does not interpret the numbers correctly, what he thinks is "158 mph" -limit is probably 158km/h ... which is where my Ampera looses steam according to GPS.
Where is 158mph referenced? The video linked (as the title imples) they reached 122mph and commented on the speed limiter initially being 100mph.

·
Registered
100 Posts
6:48 in the video. He changes calibration saying "speed limiter" 158 "mph"
Oh right, well yes we can certainly assume that is kph which would roughly equal the 100mph (indicated) limit the Volt/Ampera has. There is no way the car would hit 158mph unless perhaps you got struck my lightning ;)

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
39 Posts
yeah, I believe it is just random interpretation of unit used in this register done by HPTuners (as far as I know, automobile industry is internally "metric" since 70's, so it is unlikely that imperial units are used in software). But if we knew where this calibration is, we could perhaps be able to change it w/o HPTuners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts