Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm posting this for info and in case others out there have been told the same thing...

I've been told that my new Zoe 40, which arrived at the dealership on April 7th 2017, can't be released to me because there's a brake problem with a batch of 30 cars. The dealer apparently can't get Renault to tell them any more about what the issue is, what they'll do to to fix it or when. I was told this on April 12th 2017, the day I was supposed to pick it up. Renault UK customer services apparently can't or won't say what's happening other than that it's in the hands of the technical department in France.

I'm now at the point of canceling the order, after a five and a half month wait and three canceled delivery dates it seems more sensible to see what the new Leaf brings or what is announced by other manufacturers.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else in this situation or anyone who can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
Similar happened to me February last year. Mine was held back for the 'gearbox' parking brake. Apparently the dog was not beefy enough and had to be changed. Required the engine to be dropped out, but the dealer didn't have the cradle nescessary and had to wait for one from France. That then came with the wrong bolts and they had to get a set fabricated. That put my delivery back by a month. Fortunately I had had the demo since December (long story, told on another thread) and was not particularly put out. Got a granny cable and £250 as compensation.

Don't cancel your order. It will be worth the wait:) Mine was from Oct 15 to Mar 16 (with a promised Dec 15 delivery)

Reactions: JonnyG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I am in exactly the same situation as Jonny G. My Zoe had already been delayed due to the need for a replacement wheel at the importers. I was due to pick it up on April 29th when I got a very similar message describing a "brake problem". I have since been in contact with Renault UK customer services and they have clarified it to the gearbox parking brake.
The car has been on order since January and is now 8 weeks past the original delivery date.

I should say that the customer services have efficiently set me up with a hire car, but I really want the car I ordered. There seems to be no idea how long this rectification will take.

If there is no positive news in the next week or so I too will be thinking of investigating other options. This will hurt me greatly as I was looking forward to being a Zoe owner, but patience always has limits!

Are there any more of the 30 potential Zoe owners out there who can share their frustrations?

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
gearbox parking brake.
(rubs chin) Hmmm. Same problem 12 months later. Hmmm. I would say it was a euphemism, but I actually saw the parts used and the work being done to mine. Very inefficient to have the same problem a year later.

I would expect you to to get some form of compensation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After hearing of all of these delays, I'm soo glad I never placed an order at the beginning of the year and went for a second hand model.

I do hope you get a delivery date soon.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate and Twizy
2,708 Posts
3 missed delivery dates and a brake problem still not sorted after a year and they want your money!!
Just imagine if you have a problem when they have your money!!

As that wise man once said I'M OUT

·
Registered
28 Posts
3 missed delivery dates and a brake problem still not sorted after a year and they want your money!!
Just imagine if you have a problem when they have your money!!

As that wise man once said I'M OUT
I don't know if I'd agree with just saying 'I'm out' but it's food for thought I guess. At least they have identified something is wrong and halted orders leaving before the problem spreads further afield.

Personally I'd rather it was sorted at production rather than when in normal usage. It's concerning that the problem has been persisting for a year if that is true.

I guess at the end of the day it depends how long you are prepared to wait for the delivery of your car. If you are satisfied to be delayed longer I would certainly be asking for some form of compensation and definitive answers concerning the length of the delay.

If not... there are other alternatives out there.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
persisting for a year if that is true.
I've not heard of any others since mine last year. I would rather say, recurring than persisting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ordered mine 2nd of Feb, still not delivered. It's been at the import centre since early April. This is due to the parking brake issue. Getting quite frustrating now. At least Renault dealer has lent me their Twingo demo car. I've been told it could be a few more weeks. 3.5 to 4 months is too long to get a car. there are a few more on the RZOC Facebook page with the same issue. Renault please, release the cars, tell us to use the handbrake and do a recall when you have the fix ready to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've canceled my order. It's too much money to spend to be messed around like this. Renault could have avoided this simply by getting in touch and making an effort to hear my concerns and tell me they're doing their best, perhaps I'd have been persuaded to wait. I can't fault the dealer (Bristol St Renault, Nottingham), they lent me a car for a month and they've refunded my deposit. Shame Renault decided to treat their customer with contempt. Thanks for the replies and good luck to all those who stick with it.

·
Vendor
1,659 Posts
Mine has the brake problem, but I still got it April 20th. They didn't fix it, just reminded me to use handbrake when parking
The car have been blocked by Renault due an issue where if the car is left in park it could still roll. Obviously being a safety issue they could not let any of them go to customer. I am surprised they let you have the Zoe as if anything happens, i.e you forget to put the handbrake on and the car rolls away and kills someone then they face a corporate manslaughter charge. Obviously that is very much worst case scenario but at the least I would should think they will find themselves in hot water with Renault as they could be in breach of the franchise agreement by releasing a blocked vehicle.

I can fully appreciate the frustration in having to wait so long for a vehicle, and delaying them is obviously the last thing a dealer wants, but it has to be better that a problem is picked up now before delivery. The information from Renault to the dealers could be a lot clearer than it is (by Renault I mean Renault France as I don't think Renault UK always has the info to tell the dealers).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've canceled my order. It's too much money to spend to be messed around like this. Renault could have avoided this simply by getting in touch and making an effort to hear my concerns and tell me they're doing their best, perhaps I'd have been persuaded to wait. I can't fault the dealer (Bristol St Renault, Nottingham), they lent me a car for a month and they've refunded my deposit. Shame Renault decided to treat their customer with contempt. Thanks for the replies and good luck to all those who stick with it.
Hi Jonny,
We have a car on order from Bristol Street Nottingham as well, due to arrive in the next 2 weeks, after being promised delivery in March! Hopefully we won't have any technical delays as the dealer group have caused a 2 month one by selling our car twice.. What spec was yours?

Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been waiting for a couple of months for a new Zoe i40 and was expecting delivery in next couple of weeks. However, just found out that the delivery is being delayed until at least August 2017. Apparently it's on all Zoes and not just my order. The dealer, who had been great thus far, is not able to offer much of a reason or any more information. I guess I feel quite sad and very disappointed. However reading this thread I feel a fool to have ever though that it would arrive on time in the first place. I agree with comments above though. I would rather they fix it on the production line before sending it to me so a I will wait this one more time. August does feel a long way away and I don't know if I can take more disappointment.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
36,928 Posts
The car have been blocked by Renault due an issue where if the car is left in park it could still roll. Obviously being a safety issue they could not let any of them go to customer. I am surprised they let you have the Zoe as if anything happens, i.e you forget to put the handbrake on and the car rolls away and kills someone then they face a corporate manslaughter charge. Obviously that is very much worst case scenario but at the least I would should think they will find themselves in hot water with Renault as they could be in breach of the franchise agreement by releasing a blocked vehicle.

I can fully appreciate the frustration in having to wait so long for a vehicle, and delaying them is obviously the last thing a dealer wants, but it has to be better that a problem is picked up now before delivery. The information from Renault to the dealers could be a lot clearer than it is (by Renault I mean Renault France as I don't think Renault UK always has the info to tell the dealers).
D'you mean like a manual transmission car? Yup, those things are killers, and anyone selling a manual car (i.e. an ICE) should be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter! :ROFLMAO:

Highway law of UK says that you MUST leave the car with a parking brake applied. Using 'Park' only on a road is unlawful, so there could be no possibility of a prosecution of manslaughter due to not applying a transmission lock only, because that in itself would be unlawful and you can't be prosecuted in the situation that someone else has taken unlawful steps to unstitch your effort. It is called the 'clean hand rule', I believe. A person cannot pass on criminal culpability to you if they, themselves, have failed to comply with the law.

"
Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.
"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.