Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already asked in the RZOC forum, but I did not get a suitable answer.
What is your experience or opinion on recognizing speed limits?
It seems to me that the speed limits shown on dashboard are related to navigation data and not to the actual recognition of speed limits in "real world"?
There was 50 kph limit but it was moved 250 meters ahead years ago.
All navigation app data shows the old speed limit sign position as well as the "recognized sign" on the dashboard.
It also does not show a temporary speed limit due to road works.
So I think this traffic sign recognition is an unacceptable misleading of users.
I have already sent the question to the customer service, but I have not yet received an answer.

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
The ZE50 can barely recognise lines in the road. What makes you think it reads road signs?

It's all from a database.

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
Do you think ‘identify’ means ‘visually read’ or ‘checks the GPS database’?

I’ll happily be proved wrong. But go and tape up the camera and tell me if the car still tells you the speed limits.

There are well known differences between the brochure and what the software team actually delivered.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite
16 Posts
Page 171 of the manual

The system detects speed limit signs
on the side of the road and displays the speed limit on the instrument panel.

It mainly uses information taken from
the camera 1, attached to the wind-
screen behind the rear view mirror
note: make sure the windscreen is not
obscured (dirt, mud, snow, condensa-
tion etc.).

For vehicles which are equipped with it, the system also uses information from the navigation system

If the speed limit notification differs from the detected speed value, press and hold the following switches:
– (RES/+) to increase the notification
speed to the detected speed;
– (SET/-) to reduce the notification
speed to the detected

·
Registered
593 Posts
I’ve had mine recognise temporary speed restrictions fine, it won’t always recognise when it goes back to NSL though

·
Registered
128 Posts
Locally a 30mph zone that ends in a 50mph zone has been dropped to 30 - 40mph. The car shows 30mph then 50mph at the end of the zone until it passes the first visible 40mph sign where it drops the displayed speed to 40mph then only goes back to 50mph after ‘seeing’ the 50mph at the end of that stretch.
So it’s using uploaded data until it actually sees a sign that contradicts it then shows that until another sign that goes back to its original data

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It reads signs - it picked up a 30 as 80 when I had a rental one.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
So what do we reckon about a system that recognises the signs and gets it wrong half the time?
I’ve never had an issue with the system detecting the signs. The only time it might display a wrong speed is if it catches a sign set on the side of the road for a turning etc. This happens on our Galaxy as well (which can be a complete pain if using the auto speed limiter!), so its not a new issue with the Zoe.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It does recognize visually the signs. I have several areas on my routes where there are two lanes separated several meters by a small wall; left lane is 120km/h, right lane is 80km/h as exit from the motorway. It always reads the 80 sign posted on the wall when I’m on the 120 lane, so it’s not a database readout; and no, it’s not a GPS inaccuracy, all cars I’ve been in do the same (do they all use the same db). whether this is supposed to happen in this instance, that’s a different question, but yes, it does read the signs.

The sign is however overruled by the database, I believe because the signs can be damaged.

Another case proving that it reads the signs is that it correctly identifies areas of no-overtake as well as the speed limit when exiting the main road, in certain circumstances (speed limit sign above + arrow to the side).

·
Registered
332 Posts
It reads signs. I pull onto a motorway that has a permanent 50mph limit but the Zoe shows 70mph until it sees a sign saying 50 whereupon it changes down to 50.

If it was using a database, it would know about the 50 when I pulled on - that limit has been in place for 8-9 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts