Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new on here but comments from Twitter suggest that someone might have some advice here!
I am getting desperate and really frustrated. I love my Renualt Zoe I collected her the last week of December. She is my company car and when purchased I was assured that it would not matter that I couldn't have a home charger as the council car park where my business permit is has a Pod Point 7 kw. I use the car for around town, work and school run so this seemed ideal. (Waiting for the silly comments about being brave not having my on charge point at home!)

However, she does not charge on the council 7 kw in any of the council car parks I have tried. I have only managed to charge on 22kw points (none in council sites I can use with my business permit!) I have been back and forth with Renualt and Pod point. Renualt say car is fine (even though their Zoe charged ok and mine didn't at the same time) ...Yes have checked cable Pod point say the car is ramping up and then shorting the point. It doesn't help that it is an underground carpark so you can't phone anyone while stood at the point. As an added kick the point has worked fine for the local Leaf drivers continuously!

It connects starts charging then disconnects with no message on the dash after a few seconds. He's a video of what it typicall does:

Randomly last week at this very point it charge once from 89% to 100% but hasnt since (Premature rejoicing at this stage!)

I have called the council, Pod point, I have abandoned the car at Renualt but all say it's not their problem.

Apart from no longer being able to access ZE services (an argument for another day) The car is fantastic but really isn't fit for purpose if I can not charge her in the city I live

Any thoughts, suggestions, help or at this rate a tow would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It might sound daft, but is the Zoe set up for 'delayed charging' on certain days? It looks as if the 'handshake' is being done successfully between the charger and the car, but then goes into 'sleep' mode awaiting the set delayed charge time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might sound daft, but is the Zoe set up for 'delayed charging' on certain days? It looks as if the 'handshake' is being done successfully between the charger and the car, but then goes into 'sleep' mode awaiting the set delayed charge time?
Ooo I don't know how to do that but I do have kids!! The chances are something could have been pressed. I'll investigate. I know she has the timer set to off. She has never had a problem charging on a 22KW post its only the 7kw council Pod Point ones and I coudnt get her to connect at the Electrocity one but only tried that once.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi,

We've had a similar problem at work with 2 x 7kw posts. Your car however seems to charge longer in that vid than mine did but i can't hear the post clicking in so I'm not sure. Here's how mine went:

Connect car, communicates for a few seconds then as soon as you here the post activate the charge (relay in the post clunks) and the car starts the high pitch wine it would do 2 seconds at most and then stop. It turned out that the RCD in the post wasn't up to the job and it was replaced by Rolec with something bigger (Rolec posts). I'm not exactly sure what but everything tested out fine and it would charge other makes e.g. the leaf. We have two Zoe's at work and the same thing happened on both. We had a bit of a to me to you, but i kept pushing and in the end they are working fine now, we can both charge without issues.

My car also would charge fine on Ecotricity and many other places I've tried.

At another site we have a Plugged in Midlands e-volt charger and when its wet i have a real job getting that one going. It took about 4 tries the other day. When its dry its normally fine.

Hope thats of some help, i can try and find out exactly what breaker was added if that will help you?

Thanks,
Mat

·
536 Posts
@Miss Zoe of DanSci welcome!

I've come across one or two charge points like this around Teesside. They were looked after by charge your car - who were very helpful in getting to the bottom of the problem.

Your video that shows the car getting into the 'ramping up' , and the comment about 'shorting' the charge point suggest to me that you're having the same problem that I've had.

In my case it turned out that the charge points, whilst rated for 7kW, couldn't take the current as Zoe ramps up. I think the problem is similar to the one that you'll see described elsewhere on this forum that occurs when some of us Zoe owners have had the wrong type of RCD trip installed on our home chargers - Zoe ramps you then, pop, all stop as the RCD trips.
As the leaf doesn't pull as much when it begins charging, it's not surprising that you've seen these cars working fine on the same charges points.

Bottom line is that your car sounds like it's fine. I'd wager that the charge points where you're having problems have been there a while? That is before Zoe (with their exacting requirements) came onto the scene.

To test this for sure, have you got any other Zoe owners nearby? They'll have had similar experiences and might also have a properly configured 7kW charge point to put your mind at rest that the car's fine. Where are you based?
Also have you tried the ecotricity rapid chargers? Are there any near you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooo I don't know how to do that but I do have kids!! The chances are something could have been pressed. I'll investigate. I know she has the timer set to off. She has never had a problem charging on a 22KW post its only the 7kw council Pod Point ones and I coudnt get her to connect at the Electrocity one but only tried that once.
Checked, everything is turned off so no timers etc. But definitely worth looking into. Thankyou

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou Tim and Matt, It does sound similar and makes sense. I had the dealership bring up their Zoe which charged fine but it was an older model Zoe so maybe a software charge or something in the new model. I will tweet this thread out and chase Pod Point. Hopefully my dealer will be interested in helping as in theory this could be a problem for all Zoe's they are currently selling in the area. It's just a case of seeing who would be in charge of the pods as they are in the council carparks and getting them on board could be a whole other mission!!

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Assuming it's purely down to high current draw, try a 16A cable maybe?
I think this is a good suggestion as lower current may also reduce any difference to earth. Which city are are you trying to charge in as someone on forum may be able to lend you one to try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick up date...after having to be recovered from Plymouth as Zoe wouldn't charge on any of the 8 posts I tried (All 7kW Pod Points) I found this post..(Also not easy as this forum has a bug which makes it hard to sign up!) Topic: Pod Point 7kw Charger Issues | My Renault ZOE electric car
It seems that it just sucks that I own a Zoe in Devon and the council have decided to install 7kw posts. I applied for an off road charging post in our street under the government's free scheme but the council declined to join the scheme which means I am stuck with a car that is un-chargeable! Maybe if I have Renualt recovery on a weekly bases Renualt might consider a fix ;-D!!

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
I would reiterate getting a 16A cable to test as reading the post you linked to does sound like it may help. It may even be worth looking on ebay for one as you should get most of your money back when the problem is resolved and you can sell it.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
ebay item 161995929560 is just over £100 and they offer 30 day return so other than postage costs no risk to try. Shame nobody near you has one you could try.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
Pod point posts seem particularly susceptible to Zoes wanting to charge at the full 7kW. Worth contacting cyc or whomever do the back end and they can contact the Council that own them and have them checked, even better if you can volunteer to attend a charger with the appointed tech to show them the issue.

Although I agree it's likely to be down to the breaker tripping, easily fixed with a different curve breaker being installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts