Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
£159 deposit and £79 per month on a 2 year PCP deal.
If only I'd hung off another two months !
Anyway , for a car as good as this , they are almost giving it away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says battery rental from £80 . I don't know if that corresponds with the £45 or £70 rate currently on offer.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Presumably, as it's a contract to purchase, it would be ok to take out a three year contract on the battery?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Presumably, as it's a contract to purchase, it would be ok to take out a three year contract on the battery?
It's only a 2 year PCP so if you hand the car back after 2 years then you would still be liable to pay another year's battery lease even though you no longer had the car.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I thought the new owner (i.e. the dealer) takes on the outstanding battery lease when they take ownership of the car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I thought the new owner (i.e. the dealer) takes on the outstanding battery lease when they take ownership of the car.
You're on the hook for the full term of the battery lease or however long you have the car, whichever is the longer. Although as @Qdos it is doubtful whether they would allow you to take out a battery lease exceeding the PCP term.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We got our Zoe last week.

2 year PCP, 7500 on the shell
3 years on the battery

Only at the time of signing the papers was this revealed to me, basically it saves you £10 per month on the battery.

There is a clause in the battery lease that states you can terminate the contract after 20months of payments have been received. A loophole that I hope does actually work out OK. I was a bit pissed off that it hadn't been made clear before signing so I could have researched it but it does say the above in black and white and he assured me all was well.

Anyway, they have been crazy cheap recently. Ours was £150 deposit then £155 per month (+ got a free granny cable thrown in).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Congratulations on the Zoe @dave_s13 that's a blinding deal. As you surmise there is no problem having a longer battery lease as you can cancel it or, as previously pointed out , the buying dealer assumes responsibility if you give it back.
(no different to getting 12 months broadband on a flat you have a 6 month tenancy on)
Enjoy !!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts

3 years on the battery

Only at the time of signing the papers was this revealed to me, basically it saves you £10 per month on the battery.

There is a clause in the battery lease that states you can terminate the contract after 20months of payments have been received. A loophole that I hope does actually work out OK. I was a bit pissed off that it hadn't been made clear before signing so I could have researched it but it does say the above in black and white and he assured me all was well.

Anyway, they have been crazy cheap recently. Ours was £150 deposit then £155 per month (+ got a free granny cable thrown in).
Very interested in your point about termination after 20 months - would you be willing to share the paperwork you have that says this? I ask only because the only battery agreement I've seen is the one linked at http://myrenaultzoe.com/Docs/BatteryHireLeaseAgreement.pdf which doesn't have any specifics in it (they would come in an appendix I assume).

Congratulations on the Zoe @dave_s13 that's a blinding deal. As you surmise there is no problem having a longer battery lease as you can cancel it or, as previously pointed out , the buying dealer assumes responsibility if you give it back.
(no different to getting 12 months broadband on a flat you have a 6 month tenancy on)
Enjoy !!
Definitely don't want to re-open this can of worms but to be clear here:
  1. There is absolutely nothing in law stopping Renault from signing a battery rental agreement with you for 3 years while at the same time a finance company (which may or may not also be Renault - in the case of Arnold Clark I believe they use their own finance provider) agrees vehicle finance for you for a shorter term. This is exactly like Sky agreeing to provide you with satellite TV for a 12 month term when you only have 6 months remaining on your home tenancy.
  2. However in both cases, if you hand the car back to the finance company, or move out of the flat after 6 months, you are still liable for the rest of the payments due under the battery rental or Sky TV contract... unless you can get someone else to agree to take over the service, of course. So if you choose at the end of the term to hand the car back to the finance company you cannot compel them to take on your battery rental contract - you are not "selling" the car back to them; they already own it.
However in your specific case if you have identified that you can give early notice on the rental contract after 20 months then you have no concerns anyway.

Anyway congrats on the car - I'm still waiting for a date when I can collect mine - I am hoping it might be next weekend... (and I will make use of the battery rental loophole you mention above if I can!)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

3 years on the battery

Is that including battery rental?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sorry, bad example of broadband, who might still chase you for the money for an unexpired contract but Renault could not for several reasons:
1.The agreements have a break clause as stated.
2. To continue charging they would have to provide a battery.
3. When the car is signed over to a dealer they assume responsibility for battery lease.

So i can't see it ever being a problem.

Very interested in your point about termination after 20 months - would you be willing to share the paperwork you have that says this? I ask only because the only battery agreement I've seen is the one linked at http://myrenaultzoe.com/Docs/BatteryHireLeaseAgreement.pdf which doesn't have any specifics in it (they would come in an appendix I assume).

Definitely don't want to re-open this can of worms but to be clear here:
  1. There is absolutely nothing in law stopping Renault from signing a battery rental agreement with you for 3 years while at the same time a finance company (which may or may not also be Renault - in the case of Arnold Clark I believe they use their own finance provider) agrees vehicle finance for you for a shorter term. This is exactly like Sky agreeing to provide you with satellite TV for a 12 month term when you only have 6 months remaining on your home tenancy.
  2. However in both cases, if you hand the car back to the finance company, or move out of the flat after 6 months, you are still liable for the rest of the payments due under the battery rental or Sky TV contract... unless you can get someone else to agree to take over the service, of course. So if you choose at the end of the term to hand the car back to the finance company you cannot compel them to take on your battery rental contract - you are not "selling" the car back to them; they already own it.
However in your specific case if you have identified that you can give early notice on the rental contract after 20 months then you have no concerns anyway.

Anyway congrats on the car - I'm still waiting for a date when I can collect mine - I am hoping it might be next weekend... (and I will make use of the battery rental loophole you mention above if I can!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's actually 18months.

Only applicable if we hand it back and walk away. If we decide to pay the balloon and keep the car or trade in for new then there's no need to take any action (according to Renault Sheffield).

The £155 monthly includes the battery, it's £50/£105 - battery/chassis.

There's a few on pistonheads that got it even cheaper than that! I did manage to get a granny cable thrown in for free too though. That was after a chat with Renault customer services. The dealer wasn't helpful when it came to the fact i had the car but no convenient way to charge it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
It's actually 18months.

Only applicable if we hand it back and walk away. If we decide to pay the balloon and keep the car or trade in for new then there's no need to take any action (according to Renault Sheffield).

The £155 monthly includes the battery, it's £50/£105 - battery/chassis.

There's a few on pistonheads that got it even cheaper than that! I did manage to get a granny cable thrown in for free too though. That was after a chat with Renault customer services. The dealer wasn't helpful when it came to the fact i had the car but no convenient way to charge it up.
Fantastic, thank you. It looks like that's a whole new version of the battery rental agreement - I will ask for a copy from my dealer to review before I go to collect the car.

On that basis I'll be taking the 3k miles for 3 years battery option which I believe is £25 per month, and giving them notice at month 23 before handing the car back. I expect to cover around 3,500 miles a year but am happy to pay some excess mileage charges.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,273 Posts

The specifics are given in section 15.1 of that agreement:-

15.1 (i) Early Termination after 12 months from Commencement Date
Payment to us of the difference, if any, between (i) the sum of the Rentals due from you to us up to the date the Battery and Vehicle are
returned and (ii) the sum of the Rentals that would have been charged had the actual period of hire and mileage up to the date the
Battery and Vehicle are returned been known at the Commencement Date, calculated with reference to the Battery Hire Pricing Matrix.
A copy of the Battery Hire Pricing Matrix is included in the Renault Vehicle Price Guide and is available on request.
(ii) Early Termination before 12 months from Commencement Date
Payment to us of a compensatory amount calculated in accordance with the formula.
C = (TR x 0.38 x UT)/(PH - 4)
C = Compensatory amount
TR = the total amount of Rentals excluding tax and benefits for
the Period of Hire.
UT = the unexpired term, in months, from the date of the return
of the Battery and Vehicle to the end of the Period of Hire.
PH = Period of Hire.

Which basically means you lose nothing at all by committing to a 36 month contract, then letting go of it after 12 months because you will only be asked to pay the difference to what you would have paid for the 12 month contract anyway.

·
30,273 Posts
Fantastic, thank you. It looks like that's a whole new version of the battery rental agreement - I will ask for a copy from my dealer to review before I go to collect the car.
Based on a cursory scan, this looks like it is exactly the one I got in early 2013.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Based on a cursory scan, this looks like it is exactly the one I got in early 2013.
Sorry I don't follow. I'm talking about the photo shared by @dave_s13 a couple of hours ago which contains the following statement:

"Where the total Rentals payable under this Agreement are £1500 per year or less (but not otherwise), you may exercise your statutory right to end this Agreement at any time provided that the Agreement has been allowed to run for at least 18 months. You must give one month's notice of your intention to end the Agreement (this means you could give such notice after 17 months) by writing us. You must pay all payments owed to us until the date that the Agreement comes to an end".

None of that is present in the document at http://myrenaultzoe.com/Docs/BatteryHireLeaseAgreement.pdf and the clause numbering is also different - in the PDF early termination is section 15, but in today's photo it's section 17.

This suggests to me that @dave_s13 has a new form of battery rental that differs from the PDF version on myrenaultzoe.com, and that one key change is that under the terms @dave_s13 has, he can terminate his 3 year agreement after 2 years and not have anything extra to pay.

·
30,273 Posts
Sorry, the photo post-dated the email I was responding to and mentioned 20 mths, so please excuse my confusion.

Yes, the photo of the agreement above shows a different agreement to that which has been offered over the last 2 years. It says he can now terminate his agreement after 18 months, without any additional payments at all, not even needing to make up the difference had he asked for the shorter rental in the first place.

Basically, there is no motivation at all to request the 24 month lease pricing. There's no need for Renault to even offer it, it makes no sense to do so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts