Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go for my first electric car and the Renault Zoe ticks all the boxes. I have started to get quotes and have been using CarWow and wondered what discounts there are out there. Spec is GT Line, rapid charge, Metallic Grey.
So far I have:
Cash: Just under 26,500
PCP: Just under 27,000
0%: Around 28,500

So my understanding is that the 0% loses the Renault contribution hence can be a more expensive route. With the PCP I could just pay it off straight away and hence not pay the interest. Do these seem good? Has anyone else got a good discount or bigger Dealer contributions?

I haven't started negotiating anything with dealers yet, this is what was given first time round.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts
So if you can afford to pay off a PCP straight off the bat then going the cash route is cheapest? Seeing as its £500 less. How long do you aim to keep the car for?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I get same prices on Carwow for that spec, but I would recommend adding the winter pack. Heated seats can save a lot of range vs. cabin heating. It may be included as standard now but brochure and Carwow has as option - get in writing if dealer says included. I would also want Bose but get not everyone is bothered ;)

Prices are too high for me, so I will stick with my ZE40 Signature for a while longer. Our Zoe is mainly used for local journeys so extra power not necessary and rarely go out of range (at most once a month to our Birmingham office and charge on way back) so can't justify huge cost to change.

I will certainly look at a used ZE50 in 2022 - I suspect they will depreciate quite a bit over first two years as discounts increase and more competition.

Incidentally, if you don't need range and can stomach buying VW (I couldn't) there are eGolfs for less money (cash) than a Zoe on CarWow. I suspect will depreciate slower as will stop being made later this year.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've decided to go for my first electric car and the Renault Zoe ticks all the boxes. I have started to get quotes and have been using CarWow and wondered what discounts there are out there. Spec is GT Line, rapid charge, Metallic Grey.
So far I have:

So my understanding is that the 0% loses the Renault contribution hence can be a more expensive route. With the PCP I could just pay it off straight away and hence not pay the interest. Do these seem good? Has anyone else got a good discount or bigger Dealer contributions?

I haven't started negotiating anything with dealers yet, this is what was given first time round.
My cheapest quote was from a London dealer was also £26,499, but that was using PCP, so if you can get a straight cash deal for £26,500 without having to faff about with getting finance then thats good.

Alternatively the Elite Nav Corsa-e is <£26k for the 7kW version. Think that may have heated things already included, and comes in metallic navy as standard if you don't mind that colour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cash will probably be the way to go, unless they can add anything extra to the deposit contribution or throw in extras like serving.
Not sure how long I will keep it, at the moment planning for at least 5 years, if all goes well longer.
The range is the thing that has got me interested now and the Peugeot and Vauxhall are all about similar (maybe a bit less on range and sometimes less on price) but also an unknown and I know the Zoe has been going for a while. Depreciation and increased discounts in the future are just a hit I will have to take as I'm not sure how long one would have to wait to see any shift on pricing or second hand cars.

But looks like the pricing is on point with what other people are experiencing, will see if there is anything left to squeeze out of them :)

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Personally I think 5 year warranty, bigger boot and slightly longer range favours Zoe over PSA twins. Hopefully Renault have learnt from previous models and ZE50 will be reliable as even with warranty repairs are hassle. PSA have little experience to date except for the badged MiEV.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cash will probably be the way to go, unless they can add anything extra to the deposit contribution or throw in extras like serving.
Not sure how long I will keep it, at the moment planning for at least 5 years, if all goes well longer.
The range is the thing that has got me interested now and the Peugeot and Vauxhall are all about similar (maybe a bit less on range and sometimes less on price) but also an unknown and I know the Zoe has been going for a while. Depreciation and increased discounts in the future are just a hit I will have to take as I'm not sure how long one would have to wait to see any shift on pricing or second hand cars.

But looks like the pricing is on point with what other people are experiencing, will see if there is anything left to squeeze out of them :)

Two years servicing wouldn't be worth £500 so doubt there is much that they can offer to sway you.

Alternatively you grab this bargain before it gets sold, which has only 50miles less range and will see relatively much less depreciation over the next 5yrs. Also saves you £12,500! These motor supermarkets tend to underprice these battery owned Zoe's as they don't know better. How I grabbed a bargain for my mother in law!

I've checked and it's definitely a battery owned version.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If in Scotland then you can get a 6yr 0% interest government backed loan Electric Vehicle Loan and pay the cash price for the car.

Just be aware that they aren't the quickest at admin - I ended up paying for and picking up the car 3 weeks before the money arriving in my account - and it wont cover any optional extras (so better to buy a higher base spec instead).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Two years servicing wouldn't be worth £500 so doubt there is much that they can offer to sway you.

Alternatively you grab this bargain before it gets sold, which has only 50miles less range and will see relatively much less depreciation over the next 5yrs. Also saves you £12,500! These motor supermarkets tend to underprice these battery owned Zoe's as they don't know better. How I grabbed a bargain for my mother in law!

How much was it? looks like its gone now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I see it’s now showing as ‘Reserved’, just wondering how you confirmed it’s definitely battery owned without seeing pictures, is it local to you or did you make a telephone enquiry?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I see it’s now showing as ‘Reserved’, just wondering how you confirmed it’s definitely battery owned without seeing pictures, is it local to you or did you make a telephone enquiry?
Definitely was probably strong, but I used the Renault Warranty checker and AutoTrader vehicle check, and both showed up saying it was a 'i' Dynamique.

So rather than 'definitely', I should probably say, 'highly likely'...!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A couple things you haven't mentioned.
Early settlement fees on PCP
Are the 27k inclusive of any fees and interest?
A decent dealer would have presented you with the different options and final costs. Would have been a reason for me to walk away without buying the car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@mgboyes posted January 10, 2018:

A PCP is basically a secured consumer loan, albeit one where the final payment is much bigger than all the others. As such you have the right to terminate the finance at any time, without any penalty, simply by paying off the outstanding balance of the loan (which will be approximately the sum of all remaining payments plus the balloon). Then the car will be yours outright to do whatever you want with it, including immediately selling it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So far I have:

Sorry I just had a look at my quotes again and noticed something odd. For some reason the breakdown of the PCP finance doesn't correspond with the discount quoted. The best discount was from Smiths Renault London Online at 23.7%. Off the RRP of £33,340 this would be £7,922, however it says I would save £7,931. Anyway, the breakdown suggests this would be a discounted price of £26,499, however that doesn't make sense. This is actually around £25,500.

I noticed this because Weybridge Cash discount was 22.2%, with a discounted price of £26,002. So I think you can get cheaper than you quote.

A couple things you haven't mentioned.
Early settlement fees on PCP
Are the 27k inclusive of any fees and interest?
A decent dealer would have presented you with the different options and final costs. Would have been a reason for me to walk away without buying the car.
He is looking to settle the finance straightaway to get the best deal. There are no fees or interest to pay if you do this.

All a bit moot anyway, as the cheapest method is cash anyway.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts

I take it you've discounted the cheaper, bigger, longer warranty, quicker availability (depending on colour) slightly better spec'd MG ZS EV on the basis its range is less? Just checking.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
@mgboyes posted January 10, 2018:

A PCP is basically a secured consumer loan, albeit one where the final payment is much bigger than all the others. As such you have the right to terminate the finance at any time, without any penalty, simply by paying off the outstanding balance of the loan (which will be approximately the sum of all remaining payments plus the balloon). Then the car will be yours outright to do whatever you want with it, including immediately selling it.
Not quite. If you settle your PCP early you also get back a pro-rata amount of the interest that was added to the loan at the start. I settled after 3 months and got back most of the interest.

Note the Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004 allow lenders to charge up to 58 days interest for early settlement. I do not believe RCI charge this, but buyers should check before taking PCP and repaying after (say) 1 payment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I am still leaning towards a new car over 2nd hand. As for MG, haven't really looked at it, looked at it again and I think range is around 160miles, which is one of the main reasons for going for the Zoe.

The numbers I quoted were the price for the car, finance costs would then be onto of the PCP but as paying off starlight away would be negligible, I would check a contract obviously but thought there were no fines, or payments other than minimal interest (up to 14 days) that would have to be paid off early.

I think PCP quote was using around 1,500 dealer contribution (would have to check) and on Renaults website they offer 2,500. Then again the dealer included a discount in the car price, getting a few quotes from different dealers then will go back and see if they can better the cash price / car amount or up the dealer contribution.

·
Vendor
1,575 Posts
Think I am still leaning towards a new car over 2nd hand. As for MG, haven't really looked at it, looked at it again and I think range is around 160miles, which is one of the main reasons for going for the Zoe.
How you want to buy it should depend on how long you want to keep it. Cheapest approach from a monthly payment point of view at the moment is a 2 year PCH. Although if you are planning on keeping a car long term lease wouldn't be the way to go. Feel free to send me a PM with the exact spec you are looking for and I can give you a quote and let you know availability

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
How you want to buy it should depend on how long you want to keep it. Cheapest approach from a monthly payment point of view at the moment is a 2 year PCH. Although if you are planning on keeping a car long term lease wouldn't be the way to go. Feel free to send me a PM with the exact spec you are looking for and I can give you a quote and let you know availability
Does the new Zoe £1000 voucher have any impact? I have one but it isn't clear if it is only for cash purchases?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts