Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the obligatory pic ;)

Now the questions:

So my ZS finally arrived today, I much prefer it over the Leaf... volts were flicking between 456 and 457 with 170 miles showing in Eco so looks like all my concerns regarding the BMS were unwarranted - I was told the car has the latest BMS update so slightly confused why it isn't showing the reduced 447v but Im not going make a fuss of it while it has the 457v
How do you get to see the information shown above? I can't see the electric status anywhere.
Is there a way to know which BMS installed?

Anything else I need to know? I'm loving the car so far, easier to get in/out than the Ampera and pure electric has added fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the trip computer tab (the one with the little car) scroll down until you get to the electrical information section. When fully charged and balanced you can read the voltage there. It’s usually done with all accessories switched off. Depending on bms it might be 449/450v or 454/459v. You can see which bms yiu have installed but need to connect to the OBD port on the car and use an app. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Is there any slave labour content in these Chinese built cars: thinking of today's announcement by UK government.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Is there any slave labour content in these Chinese built cars: thinking of today's announcement by UK government.
Proven or unproven? Officially or unofficially? The answer may change depending on how you ask the question, and who you ask!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having had some time to play, that array of screens when you scroll down are illuminating.

I’m loving the little things on the car. Like who would have thought a ‘budget’ ev with a panoramic roof has an electric blind? Having had fixed mirrors, the auto folding ones keep me amused much more than they should. The dog likes it in the boot, everyone else fights over the back seats.

Downsides so far are the seatbelts aren’t great for a ‘built for comfort’ body type😉 I find I can’t reach the door pockets with the belt on. The lack of drinks holders in the back have caused some discussion with the passengers.

I’ve rinsed and polished the car, to seal the paintwork and keep water running and that helps the looks some.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,038 Posts
Like who would have thought a ‘budget’ ev with a panoramic roof has an electric blind?
Or even have a panoramic roof. ;) Its not that common in EVs full stop, so on one of the cheapest ones is very nice. I'm a year into ZS ownership and I can say its holding up better than my Zoe. I've not had to "fix" any creaks or source any noises to fix. Its range is exactly what I hoped for, more so even as I drive the MG faster than I drove the Zoe, and also I've not had opportunity to really test the MGs legs on a long trip (I did get a couple of almost long trips last year).

The lack of app is the only thing I missed. There was a whole 2 features I used with the Zoe. SOC and switching on heating (although I more often used the button boost on the keyfob than the app). The MG now has access to OVMS which means I can check SOC, and most of the cool stuff I used to get out of CANZE on the Zoe too, like SOH.

Would I buy a ZS EV in 2021 if I hadn't bought one in 2020. I think I would, and it would be cheaper too because there is loads of nearly new cars available. Glad I bought when I did though. Car has been a joy to use, best bit not needing to top up en-route which I did have to do on Zoe quite often (due to the smaller battery of course) and no dealing with Renault customer Support or RCI.

Yet to sample an MG dealers customer care though. Car goes in for its first service on Monday so I'll soon know if they are any good. Courtesy car booked and Comfort update requested, if they can manage both of those things successfully I'll be happy.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think if they could squeeze their 54KWh battery into the ZS then they would have one of the best EV's out there at the moment even at a higher price!

The only thing that would hold me back from buying one is the range - I love having 280 ish miles - can't see me happy with a sub 200m range.

But that aside - the car is superb for the money.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,038 Posts
Oh, and lack of Adaptive cruise, sadly that's become a must have for me now I've had it!
Firstly....

1. You pay £10k less you get 100 less miles. Not a big issue. I know you like comparing your Soul to everything below it in the market price wise. I'd rather have a Tesla 3 given the money. ;)
2. It does have adaptive cruise, and MG Pilot. Your confusing your constant "my Soul is best" posts on every topic you go to and recently read the 5 doesn't have ACC, which is correct.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I didn't realise the ZS did have adaptive - that's kewl

I am not comparing my Soul and saying its best in every way!! I do love the range tho - and more importantly how it keeps a lot of that in the winter. I would worry with a 160m range (just over half the Souls) what that would drop to in the winter.

Did I not say "I think if they could squeeze their 54KWh battery into the ZS then they would have one of the best EV's out there at the moment " ?????

If they could get a 54 or even 60kwh battery in the ZS, given the price I would probably change to one when the Soul goes. I would have got a Niro - but with 4+ models of those up around £39k now without the grant, if they could do a 54KWh ZS for about £29-30k then it would should sell like hot cakes.

Does it have a heat pump? Again if it did that would make it even more of a bargain.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,038 Posts
No Heatpump. Its got a PTC that makes the car HOT rather than the usual wet warm far that is a heatpump. :ROFLMAO: Seems to be pretty efficient too, in that the car is really well insulated so the car heats up quick, you then turn the heating right down and stay roasting for your whole trip.

I've not seen less than 140miles during winter. Basically more than double my 22kWh Zoe did, which is what I was hoping for. And seems to backup the insulation comment above, as the Zoe has a heatpump.

What I will say is how often do you use your 260miles range? Because I've used my 160mile range twice in 2020. o_O

I think for the Price, space, pace and range it has, the ZS EV is already one of the best EVs out there at the moment. Seems to be selling better than most EVs too based on how much of an impact its made in just 12months. Show me any other EV this side of a Tesla that sold as well in its first 12months?

All UK figures - First 3 Quarters of 2020 around 4500 have made it into owners hands. Soul EV has been on sale since 2015 and its sold about a fifth of that number. Opens your eyes a bit. About 1,500 ZE50 Zoes in the same time frame, and its a car that has no issue finding buyers. 11,500 Zoe sold since it went on sale in 2012.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
469 Posts
For the money the ZS is excellent. Given that there appears to be a big push to improve the rapid charging network I don't see range is a big problem. Firstly we shouldn't be travelling at the moment and not for some months and by that time most of the MSA s should have had their chargers replaced and the deals between McDonalds and Instavolt, BP and VW, Pod Point and Lidl, Premier Inn and Geniepoint will come together to make a massive difference for shorter range cars. Now the MG isn't perfect for serious road warriors, the MG5 is for them but my last job required travelling within 120 mile range from home, usually with the return journey on the same day. The ZS would have been fine because by the nature of my work I would need to make phone calls en-route in both directions so that 15 - 20 minutes plugged in in each direction would have been enough. Just wish I had had it back then and not my noisy Astra.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You are right, I've only used my full range about 5 or 6 times this last 9 months - but thats because I dont have a home charger, if I did, I wouldn't have used it more than once or twice.

However, I still like the confidence it gives me.

But if I had 30k to spend on an EV - MG5 or ZS would definitely be on my list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts