Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I picked up our new 2012 Ampera Electron yesterday from a dealer In Derby and drove it back to Newcastle to its new home. All seems great so far, we were mainly on the motorway on the extended mode. Had it plugged in last night from 8pm until 9pm this morning, the temperature out is around 1 deg but very disappointed to see on 26 miles EV range.
I was certainly expecting to see more than this? The car has 76k on the clock fully Vauxhall maintained up to date and was owned by alphabet leasing so probs no expense spared.
Are my expectations too high for this? Any and all advice appreciated.

UPDATE as of 15th Dec
Ive had the car for just over a week now and ve been running daily now sometimes 3-4 shortish drives, usually quite sedate, minimal heat etc and every time its fully charged, it only ever shows 26 miles.With the current cold weather, 1-5 degs, to stretch that battery mileage will take an utter miracle. I have to drive like Mrs Daisy in a fridge. Surely this cannot be right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, we've had our Ampera (also ex lease, with 99,600 miles) for about 5 weeks, and we're always getting 29-31 miles showing on a full charge, and achieving around 27 to 36 miles - it's a little warmer here, as just north of London, so that might account for the slightly lower range shown on your car perhaps. I keep ours in a garage overnight while charging, but if yours is charged outside then maybe using preheat before you set off might add a few miles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually do a double preheat but doesnt seem to make much difference. While on that subject, its never very warm in the car even after the preheats, do I have to have everything on full belt when i last use at night, will the preheat then use these settings? Also the heated seats are set to come on with pre-heat but dont seem to?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
576 Posts
Hi
A very timely post as I was about to put up this graph of my distance vs temperature, over the last 18 months I have had the car.
The 51.8 miles maximum to date was a test where I set off on a very gentle pootle on the flattest road I could find, straight up and back North up the A38 from North Bristol, fairly steady 45 mph ish little or no stop starts, hardly any braking and no heating or AC used. This trial was prompted by the fact that loads of peeps on the forum were getting high 40s/50s and I was getting mainly 30s. The lows are mucho stop/start/hills/traffic & colder temps.
I wanted to check that mine was capable of good range in ideal conditions which it is so I was much happier.
Confirms how stop/ start / hilly (= Bristol driving) plus cold kills range
So, you are not alone.........

Still love the car tho!!

pastedImage.png

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm getting about 32 in the morning on the way to work but for some reason coming home I'm lucky if I get 25, worst was 19, only difference is I charge on the granny cable at work for 8 hrs so I guess it's not quite getting a full charge

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does your battery mileage show in the warmer weather when you come out to a full charge?

Hi
A very timely post as I was about to put up this graph of my distance vs temperature, over the last 18 months I have had the car.
The 51.8 miles maximum to date was a test where I set off on a very gentle pootle on the flattest road I could find, straight up and back North up the A38 from North Bristol, fairly steady 45 mph ish little or no stop starts, hardly any braking and no heating or AC used. This trial was prompted by the fact that loads of peeps on the forum were getting high 40s/50s and I was getting mainly 30s. The lows are mucho stop/start/hills/traffic & colder temps.
I wanted to check that mine was capable of good range in ideal conditions which it is so I was much happier.
Confirms how stop/ start / hilly (= Bristol driving) plus cold kills range
So, you are not alone.........

Still love the car tho!!

View attachment 69577

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,268 Posts
There is an issue in so far as the battery will draw its own power to heat itself in a certain temperature range, but won't heat itself from the mains when plugged in on preheat. The question is actually what the pack temperature is, whether it is above or below 9C.

With ambient around freezing and charging all night, you will be in that ~~9C range. So the battery heater may be cutting in and it draws 1.8kW.

What are your heater settings?

The problem with a small battery capacity is that any impact from heating loads is disproportionately high to the overall capacity of the battery. A few kWh in 85kWh is unnoticeable, a few in 10kWh and you're approaching half empty before you get going.

If you are going to do more than 30 miles on a cold day then run HOLD from the start, each time you being a new trip, let the engine heat the car up and turn the heating to 'OFF/MIN'.

Do a search and you will find reams of detailed commentary on all of this from myself. If you run it as an electric car with full heating then you will get what you are getting. To get more electric miles with no extra petrol being burned (possibly less too) then you have to understand the engineering of the thing. Sorry. It is a car you can jump in and just drive, but that doesn't yield the best outcomes.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
576 Posts
What does your battery mileage show in the warmer weather when you come out to a full charge?
If it's 15 C or over the GOM is generally showing 35-low 40s depending on previous drives.
When it's cooler I don't stint on heating which obviously has an impact as well

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Actually @Peter Cittern looks like you have an s curve.
Flat until 9 Deg, curves up then flat again at 20?
Also @donald know his stuff when it comes to getting milage.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The range displayed after charging depends on prior distances and temperature. Rain, temperature, elevation change, stop start traffic all have a bearing.
My run into the office is uphill slightly and takes more power than the return journey. On a warm summer day with little wind, no stopping (all lights in my favour) I can run the 17 miles to the office on 3.5kWh (as displayed) and the return on 3. The GOM displays 48 - 52 at this time after charging.
Winter, Cold rainy, bad lights etc. I need 5kWh with a double preheat, Return on electric is not possible if the weather is 1 or less. I can not charge at work and after 9 hours the battery is cold and needs its heater. On electric I would guess 6-7kWh but I run the engine using Hold early in the journey to heat the car. Then (if I judge it right) hit my drive as the electric runs out.
This gives me a GOM of 30/31 currently. I had less (25) when it was -5, heating saps the battery :(

The morning preheat is done with a wallbox (chargemaster in my case) not a granny lead so the car is fully charged @ 5mins after the preheat. Running the preheat on a granny cable will require a longer recovery time depending if its a 6 or 10 amp setting.

Do use the cruse control, for me it saves electric compared to my lead foot!

·
Ampera Advocate
333 Posts
Kev

My advice is just to read every post by Donald and if he says that you should do something to maximise the range or performance of the car, then do it. Then just enjoy using the car in the knowledge that you're getting the best value motoring you can get out of it and the pleasure of driving it. You'll never go back to an ICE vehicle after that.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Kev, are you charging from a 16/32A EVSE? Or using a granny charger plugged into 13A socket which will only draw 10A? If the latter, you'll find that a preheat will heat the car, but will also draw-down the traction battery while it does this, so you'll probably need to leave the preheat process plugged-in for 1/2 an hour to give it a chance to recharge. One preheat doesn't do a lot for cabin temps in my experience, so I now do 2, spaced 15 mins apart, using my 32A Rolec (car draws a max of 14A from these). Also I set full-recirculate, fan on max, climate to Max & 25C, all 3 zones enabled, all vents open, and the car does get comfortably warm after 1/2 an hour.

Reactions: donald

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,268 Posts
Very good point.

If you are driving off on a full battery cold then that is definitely the sort of range you can expect.

If you are preheating on a 3-pin lead, then it will draw the battery down.

Also to mention, it is pretty usual to consider 50% of the NEDC quote mileage range to be the sort of range you'll get in reality in winter (without any clever shenanigans) for any EV. Ampera has a 50 mile NEDC electric range. It just so happens that for most people it tends to deliver comfortably more than that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This explains a lot actually. I managed to trickle charge mine fully last night and it showed 32 miles but when I got to work it showed only 26! I only live 2 miles away but it is hilly going and I start around 4am so really cold. So taking those into account, I can’t blame the range disappearing so quick. Coming back today though only used 3 miles. 2.1KWH for 4.2 miles! :confused:

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Hi Peter, I am from the Bristol area - might see you around!

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts