Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to order my first EV, a Skoda Enyaq, to replace my current lease car.

I don't have a drive but am confident I can make it work with the local public charging infrastructure. I will, however, need to a 3-pin plug for emergencies or topping up at other people's houses.

The Skoda doesn't seem to ship with one as standard (most things seems to be an extra...) but does offer "iV Universal charging cable with industrial connector 32A / 230V" as an option for an extra £645. Speaking with the online chat, this sounds like it's the cable I need but it's pretty expensive and I'd also probably have to give it back at the end of my lease. There are also no details available on the charger and cable length etc. Is there any reason I couldn't just buy a third party charger at significantly less cost? Would there be any issues with compatibility or voiding a warranty for using a non-Skoda approved cable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
£645 is a rip-off price for a 13A domestic "granny" EVSE. Avoid. Even the ID.3 one was only something like £180?

You can get a basic 10A one from Screwfix that wll be fine, make sure you go for Type-2, not Type-1! I can't see any problems whatsoever with using a non-OEM unit. The ones they sell you are exactly that as a rule, just with their logo on & a huuuuge markup added.

On ID.3 you can set the AC Charging to a low-rate, runs at 6A, so I expect Enyaq's the same. Charging at 10A runs a non-zero risk of overheating the 13A socket, as they aren't always in 100% nick or even made particularly well. So it's a very good idea indeed to always stick to 6A on a granny charger, unless you really do need the faster rate. I've toasted at least 2, maybe 3, 13A sockets over the last 7 years. Always at the higher current! 6A is far kinder to the poor domestic stuff.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts
No reason at all, you can buy these online for a couple of hundred quid. You need a type 2.

The one you mention requires a 240V 32A Commando socket which is what they mean by 'industrial'. If it's the same thing as the Audi one that I have (both VAG Group companies) it might also come with a 13A interchangeable tail.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
I spoke to a new Zoe owner last week while charging, he had to buy a portable charger and said he got it from Argos.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
You can also find these on sale here in the Classifieds, if you're quick!

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
279 Posts
I spoke to a new Zoe owner last week while charging, he had to buy a portable charger and said he got it from Argos.
This is the same one Screwfix sell, but Argos sell it for considerably more money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts