Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So I've ordered my E-Niro 4+ and now I have to decide which Home Charging point to use. I've been advised by an Electrician to use the "Zappi" charging point, however this device seems expensive and I have no Solar Powering that can contribute towards it.

Just wondered if someone can recommend a good 7KW Tethered/Untethered device that maybe has the capabilities of being used via an App ?

Hope someone can help.

·
jim5452
451 Posts
Zappi is a bit over the top for anyone who does not have SOLAR PV, there is an offer of a OMHE charger from Octopus Energy which I believe is the cheapest charger working on an APP, which also links with various different tariff to charge at the appropiate times, this I think does not work with solar.
There are some threads on the forum for OHME

·
Registered
954 Posts
The 32A Commando version OHME charger is 200 quid, but you need to be an Octopus Energy customer to receive that offer. You'd also need to get the sparky to install the correct socket and meet similar installation requirements of most other charging points. Someone has uploaded the installation instructions for the OHME if you look in the other threads.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
Hi,
So I've ordered my E-Niro 4+ and now I have to decide which Home Charging point to use. I've been advised by an Electrician to use the "Zappi" charging point, however this device seems expensive and I have no Solar Powering that can contribute towards it.

Just wondered if someone can recommend a good 7KW Tethered/Untethered device that maybe has the capabilities of being used via an App ?

Hope someone can help.
+1 for the ohme.

I have one and whilst aesthetically, it is not the prettiest unit on the garage wall, it is effective and flexible, with a decent app.

The Zappi is definitely overkill if you don't have solar.

In fact, unless you have solar from several years ago where you have a FIT contract which is based on generation and the assumption of 50/50 use rather than measured feed in on a SEG contract (meaning that you can burn your solar generation and still get paid for it at the same time), then I'd argue that a Zappi isn't cost effective even if you do have solar. Instead of consuming your generated electricity, you feed it to the grid instead, get paid for it, and charge overnight instead for the same cost as what your feed in paid you.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
I had the 32A 7Kw Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed a couple of months ago and so far it's done what has been asked of it, no problems (touch wood). I got in touch with the manufacturers in Spain directly and misunderstood the offer. I thought it was £650 and they sorted the grant on my behalf for me. Turns out it was sorting out the grant on their behalf :LOL::LOL::LOL: - I asked about it prior to ordering and still managed to misunderstand - so cost me £350 more than I was expecting, fully installed but been happy with it since and lesson learned.
Controlled via the app, both on phone or laptop (chromebook)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your feedback, nice to hear of some other options/alternatives. I'll comb through the forum to see what else I can find, the Car dealership has suggested using "Pod-Point".

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback, nice to hear of some other options/alternatives. I'll comb through the forum to see what else I can find, the Car dealership has suggested using "Pod-Point".
Pod point is a solid unit if you just want a reliable charger with some useable stats for a decent price and aren't bothered too much about the more cutting edge smart facilities. It comes with the benefit of in built pen protection, removing the need for an earth rod, if siting one would prove troublesome.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
If you want something that looks great with good cable management get the Andersen.
If OP is baulking at the cost of Zappi, then might as well cross an Anderson off the list. Lovely units with good facilities but expensive and others will provide much the same facilities at half the price.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The Zappi unit can be of use even without solar panels if your electricity supply cable is a bit weak for the extra load of car charging (especially at 7kW), as the Zappi can be set to monitor the total current drawn by the house and back off the car charging to keep the total current drawn from the supply within acceptable limits when another large household load (such as an electric shower) is switched on. The extra cost of the Zappi will probably be less than that of getting the DNO to replace your supply cable.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
The PodPoint Solo also has load monitoring. It is less 'smart' than the Zappi and doesn't have the solar functions you don't need but is cheaper. Like the Zappi, it doesn't require an earth rod in usual situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've also been offered a "New Motion" Charging point which seems to tick all my boxes and I think overall is cheaper than the Zappi. New motion provides a dashboard and has wireless connectivity (which is good as all my Router ports are used) and can also do software updates when needed, to be honest I just want a reliable device and don't mind paying at the top end. I'm also thinking about future purchases of EV cars as I don't want to be having to change my charger for quite sometime.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
I had an Ohme installed last year and it's been very reliable. Fairly compact unit with option of tethered/untethered, comando/type 1 or type 2.
The app shows all previous charging history, can set charge limit (for battery health), lock the charger to prevent unauthorised use, register current electricity tariff for accurate charging costs - pretty good app.
One drawback (a major one for me) is that you cannot pre-condition your vehicle when using the 'smart' functions.
For example, if you set a schedule to charge to 80% on a cheap overnight tariff eg. 12.30 - 04.30, set departure time at 7.00am but want the car to preheat and precondition the battery before leaving, the Ohme won't turn itself back on to provide mains power for the preconditioning - car will draw from HV battery.
I have got round this by turning off the smart functionality and using the i3's built in charge schedule which allows the Ohme to come back online hours after charging in order to provide power for preconditioning.

Have attached some pics of the app and charger

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
If OP is baulking at the cost of Zappi, then might as well cross an Anderson off the list. Lovely units with good facilities but expensive and others will provide much the same facilities at half the price.
We might, or he might see the Andersen and think it's worth having.

I didn't see the harm in giving options.

How much is a zappi installed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an Ohme installed last year and it's been very reliable. Fairly compact unit with option of tethered/untethered, comando/type 1 or type 2.
The app shows all previous charging history, can set charge limit (for battery health), lock the charger to prevent unauthorised use, register current electricity tariff for accurate charging costs - pretty good app.
One drawback (a major one for me) is that you cannot pre-condition your vehicle when using the 'smart' functions.
For example, if you set a schedule to charge to 80% on a cheap overnight tariff eg. 12.30 - 04.30, set departure time at 7.00am but want the car to preheat and precondition the battery before leaving, the Ohme won't turn itself back on to provide mains power for the preconditioning - car will draw from HV battery.
I have got round this by turning off the smart functionality and using the i3's built in charge schedule which allows the Ohme to come back online hours after charging in order to provide power for preconditioning.

Have attached some pics of the app and charger
Could you advise on pricing and installations cost ?

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
Could you advise on pricing and installations cost ?
Paid £300 for supply and fit of Ohme with 5m tethered type 2 plug.
Used government grant for part funding of the ev home charger, otherwise the full cost would have been around £900.
Think the company was Smarthomecharge.

Reactions: Buca1uk

·
Registered
64 Posts
the cheapest way to get a 7kwh charging point is to join Octopus and get the Ohme for £200, then get a local sparky to install a 32amp commando socket and earth rod, technically you don't need the earth rod but its recommended (and a safety feature!). Also recommended is an interlocked Commando which costs a few quid extra. If you don't want or can't have an earth rod then get the sparky to fit a PME protection device like the Matt:e or GARO (this is what I did), that does raise the price though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts