Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I have the bug to jump onboard & purchase an EV. I am fascinated by technology, love cars & consider myself as a bit of a petrol head (apologies for using foul language on this forum).
Any how, my wife & I have already viewed and driven the following vehicles; a 2012 Vauxhall Ampera, a 2016 Kia Soul & a 2014 Nissan Leaf. We both loved the Soul & felt that it lived up to its name, lovely to drive, servicing very reasonable etc. We have ruled out the leaf (sorry to all you Leaf fans), but it just isn't the car for us. This was possibly due to the local Nissan dealer not fully charging the vehicle (even though we had booked in to see the car/road test), when we took it out for a road test not too far about 15 miles, upon our return to the dealer, we experienced range anxiety, as warnings started to appear advising that we need to charge etc, also started to give me back ache.

I keep going back to the older Ampera, it is such a nice car, it ticks most of the boxes, it drives nice, handles well etc. But I do have some reservations; high mileage circa 135,000 (it does have a Vauxhall main dealer service history, apart form the last one, where a family member carried it out & they replaced the left hand front drive shaft). The main motor bearing has not been replaced (no noises present). I am an ex motor mechanic, but have not got my hands dirty for years. So my confidence is lacking.

If there are any Ampera owners out there, would you let high mileage (I have seen a vehicle in the states, which has covered very high miles, but that's in the states) put you off & the fact that the main motor bearing has not been replaced? Apparently the steering lock issue has been sorted by the dealer, also there was an issue with the vehicle charging system (apparently a common fault with a break in the plug in socket loom, which was replaced by Vauxhall).

What about parts availability, as the drive shaft came from the states!

I have contacted a local HEVRA garage who advised that they can carryout repairs & servicing to Ampera's & if there was anything that they were unsure of HEVRA would provide them with support & information to assist, so that is very positive news.

I love the looks of the Ampera, should I get one?

Have a great weekend all

Best wishes from me :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi @Flat Top and welcome. Afraid I cannot comment on the Ampera, all I can say is we are very happy with our Soul and the 7 year warranty gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Great cars, Mines considered low mileage (64plate 50,000) and has not had a bearing (touch wood), it seems from reports they go earlier in the cars life, possibly not quite right from the factory. As it is the good dealers know how to replace and the cost is passable. HEVRA have access to a bank of knowledge if needed.
The Amps seem reliable, the ICE (an old 1.4 corsa) is not generally a problem as its not stressed and is run by the computer not the human foot :)
See the guide to buying a second-hand hand Ampera
They do turn up on here in the classifieds now and again as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great cars, Mines considered low mileage (64plate 50,000) and has not had a bearing (touch wood), it seems from reports they go earlier in the cars life, possibly not quite right from the factory. As it is the good dealers know how to replace and the cost is passable. HEVRA have access to a bank of knowledge if needed.
The Amps seem reliable, the ICE (an old 1.4 corsa) is not generally a problem as its not stressed and is run by the computer not the human foot :)
See the guide to buying a second-hand hand Ampera
They do turn up on here in the classifieds now and again as well.
Many thanks for this. A lot of good information there.
BTW I have arranged to go back and view the Ampera tomorrow morning. I need to have a decent road test, try sports mode & let the Mrs drive it too. I am really hoping shes going to like the way it drives/performs.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Trust the test drive went well - no weird noises, just a hushed progress :)

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Welcome to the exclusive owners club, you now have as many have said, the best car Vauxhall never made :)
Now check the Grill! I'm going to be a pain over this, but one stone in the wrong place is expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts