Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2016 30kWh Leaf with a pretty high mileage (80k miles) but 12 bars. When I charged it up it took 20kWh and got to 100%. Could a 30kWh battery show 12 bars and only take 20kWh?

Ta

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

This should be conclusive

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This should be conclusive

- Leaf 30 kWh
Thanks for the reply - I saw that thread and checked. Definitely a 30kWh when sold. Sorry, should have said that in my post.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I expect SoH to be under 90%. 12 bars is questionable though there are people here who have close to 80 and still shows 12 bars.

Get LeafSpy and OBD2 dongle.

The charge it takes depends on available capacity.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have just bought a 2016 30kWh Leaf with a pretty high mileage (80k miles) but 12 bars. When I charged it up it took 20kWh and got to 100%. Could a 30kWh battery show 12 bars and only take 20kWh?

Ta
It only takes one duff cell, it makes a massive difference to the capacity of the battery, by that I mean the bms will use the lowest cell to calculate capacity if you have one cell that is way lower than the rest the bms will think the battery is more empty than it actually is, hence why it only took 20kWh to charge to 100% the battery probably had 10-15% when the bms said it was at0%

·
Registered
161 Posts
The estimated range disappears at 7% charge remaining (which is actually 5% above real zero to increase battery life and avoid you actually running out without really trying). Generally the first bar on battery condition disappears at 85% of original capacity, so in reality you are very likely to have a 30kWh battery although it's clearly not brand new. The new full to zero capacity of a 24kWh is actually around 22kWh new and the 30kWh is about 28kWh, so if you consider that you actually charged from about 7% to about 85% (so 78%), 20 kWh represents an actual capacity now of 25.6 kWh. The reality is slightly less as you were below 7% and your current minimum capacity is above 85%, so all is well.
However, welcome to a new round of range anxiety now that you realise that your 30kWh is nothing like that much, and hence your effective range is less than you might have hoped for! Pity those that bought a "24kWh" and find ourselves with under 19kWh in reality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I have ordered an ODB2 dongle so when that arrives I will have a look at the battery information and report back :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
New capacity is about 27.5kWh usable.
Minimum SOH for 12 bars is 85% so if we assume that: 23.4kWh
Low Battery Warning is a fixed 4kWh left. (VLBS is 2kWh).
It's also cold at the moment so that won't be helping.
So 20kWh is not unreasonable.

LEAFSpy will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
There is a small reporting difference between LeafSpy and Leaf reporting. LeafSpy tends to report absolute values whereas Leaf doesn't.

You are hovering close to loss of 1st bar. I think the charge it has taken is fine.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
For your age and mileage that SOH is pretty good to be fair! I hope it was a cheap 30kwh though as it is hovering to lose one bar as above.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Strikes me as good, particularly with the relatively small 11mV difference between the cells. The reduction in capacity is normal on 30kWh LEAFs that age, particularly given the mileage.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Be worth checking with the dealer if its had the battery recall done.
With that mileage it probably has been into a nissan dealer a few times so should be but worth checking as that would bring SOH up some more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be worth checking with the dealer if its had the battery recall done.
With that mileage it probably has been into a nissan dealer a few times so should be but worth checking as that would bring SOH up some more.
Do you mean the ECU/software upgrade? That's been done, LeafSpy shows 4NR4C.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts