Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been sent a link for a Wallbox from Scottish Power by my lease company and I enquired about an Ohme unit from Smart Home Charge (car is a 62kwh Leaf). Prices are around £550 after grant.

Does anyone have any experience or alternative suggestions? I'm guessing it's probably more about the apps than the energy supply.

Tia.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,585 Posts
My 62kw Leaf should be delivered on friday but I will use a 13a charger (granny charger) as I don't do many miles per day.
The 7kw charge points can be bought from Amazon for £300 if you have a tame electrician who can fit it for under £200. The OLEV grant is a money making scheme for charge point installer, most of who charge at least £550, so with the grant that's £900, for installing a £300 charger. (£300 retail, they'll be paying £250 or less).

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
642 Posts
13a granny chargers are not really recommended as a daily charging solution because they have been know to melt the socket they are plugged into when used regularly.

You don’t always know how good the standard of wiring is that in the property that you have plugged it into.

If you arrive home from a long journey in a 62kW LEAF it can draw 10A from that socket for 20 straight hours, this is a totally different from anything else you have ever plugged into your home.

If there is a weakness in your wiring it will find it, you don’t want to be asleep in the house it’s plugged into when this occurs in the middle of the night and something in the circuit overheats and potentially catches fire.

This is a worst case scenario but it has and does happen.

Granny chargers are not a long term solution, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Are you wanting a charge point with an app to time charging to use off peak electric?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a home charger, ideally with the ability to warm the car before I leave the house.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes, a home charger, ideally with the ability to warm the car before I leave the house.
Really any 7kW charge point will satisfy this requirement, it’s not the software on the charge point that allows preconditioning, so to that end if you just want a cost effective solution you could fit a “dumb” charger.

On a leaf you can either set the departure timer for a certain time in the morning and choose which days of the week it will heat the car I.e. 8am Monday - Friday of you always leave for work then.

Or you can use the Nissan app to switch the heater on if you have a more erratic schedule thus:

Likewise you can set the charge delay timer on the dash to delay it starting to charge until cheap rate kicks in, it’s very easy to use.

The only thing you have to be careful of is that if you plug into a public charge point when out and about and you use the delay timer you have to remember to press the button on the dash that tells it to charge immediately and override the timer or you could get caught out.

So to that end any charge point will satisfy your needs, it really boils down to preference and what you may want to do with it in the future, for example if you may have solar panels fitted in the future some charge points can be set up to only charge on the spare electric.

These are rather pricy though charge quite slowly from solar and unless your car stands on the drive all day a little pointless

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drewby80 - that's really helpful, thank you.
I'd been expecting to get an electric vehicle when some sense of normality returns, but the current PCH offer makes me less concerned if that's a few more months away.
I've seen a few YouTube reviews saying the Leaf is showing its age, but this seems to offer what I expected and arrives in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,585 Posts
Does the pre-heating work from granny charger, or do I need a 7kw one?
I chose a Leaf E+ because of the performance, range, N-Tec spec and ex demo price. I was considering a ID3 but don't like the looks and try to avoid buying German vehicles so it was soon dismissed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I chose a Leaf E+ because of the performance, range, N-Tec spec and ex demo price. I was considering a ID3 but don't like the looks and try to avoid buying German vehicles so it was soon dismissed.
The pre heat works regardless of whether the car is plugged in or not. Just turns the heating on (and heated seats and steering wheel if the switches are on).

If the car is plugged in and charging then the electricity used to preheat will be replaced. Otherwise if the car is not plugged in you will use probably less than a kWh to heat the car.

My 30kWh Leaf uses about 2% of battery so approx 0.6 kWh to warm the car up before leaving on a frosty morning. After about 10 mins all the frost on the windows is gone and you walk out to a toasty car. The lost range is about 2 miles, really not worth worrying about even with a Leaf 30, so with 62kWh I really wouldn't spend much energy worrying about that.

Even with the Nissan app and servers (crap and slow) this is a real joy of electric motoring... relax and enjoy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The pre heating will work from both but with the granny charger you will also use some battery power at the same time.

You can also preheat from battery alone if it’s not plugged in a 62kW LEAF will only use around 1% of its battery charge preheating from cold in the winter, so it’s not a big deal.

The Leaf is a solid and reliable car, Nissan have had a decade to fix all the bugs so it’s pretty much trouble free motoring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ABB_Terra-6AGC081278-Featured (2).jpg

Just ordered this to be installed at Home with local installer very reasonable price

£385 after government grant

Reactions: BillTheButcher

·
Registered
193 Posts
👆 That's a good price. I've been browsing the installer sites this morning. All the chargers that have been recommended to me are over £500.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
You could look at a Viridian unit.
Viridian EV Charge Points
Ok prices start at £500 for the entry-level one, more if you go for newer smarter-looking one with more smarts, load-sharing capability etc. They use good quality components to begin with (metal case, Garo RCBO,...) (btw Rolec don't have a great reputation in this respect!), but above all these are diy-repairable. This site sells the individual bits needed for this, or to build your own if so inclined. (It's actually not that hard to do!).

My 5-year old Rolec got the ECU inside (Controller "brains" module) fried when car's socket got damp in, shorted, and sent 250V back up the 12V signal wire. Some EVSEs protect against this, some don't. So look for "short circuit protection" or similar. I replaced the Rolec ECU myself with £80 ECU made by Viridian.

Another person in here had a Podpoint which failed when a builder waggled the mains wires, and knocked components off the PCB! Mfr quoted something like £450 to repair. I suggested he try an independent repairer, who simply ditched the PCB and replaced with Viridian ECU + a couple of other standard industrial bits (RCD/RCBO,...) and fixed it for £160.

Rolec & Viridian both use standard, inexpensive industrial rail to fit all the bits to (ECU, Contactor, RCBO/RCD), so are equally easy to repair if they die.

Viridian shouldn't die much; good case & RCBOs. I don't know what short-circuit protection they have; only ever seen this mention with regard to the "granny" 13A portable units tbh.
Rolec have plastic case (I'm in process of producing a repair kit for these!) and crappy RCBOs to begin with, but are ok providing you swap out the RCBO (£25) & don't break the case. Deffo no short-circuit protectio in these!

That £385 one is a good price, and ABB are a well respected name in industrial machine controllers, but you might be locked-in to the supplier if it breaks and they try to charge an arm & a leg to repair. But you can always get a Viridian ECU retro-fitted instead if they try that.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Do ABB do a tethered one? I would always choose a tethered unit - so much less hassle.

Mind you, I have an Ohme cable and commando socket planned for our new house as I have used up my two grants and it's much more cost effective.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Tethered v untethered is a continual toss-up, owner's choice, no single "right" answer. I went untethered, so could get a longer 10m cable easily, also that cable goes with me in the car on hols. My EVSE is in gge, so 99% of the time stays cabled up anyway, & can't be nicked easily. Different story if unit is outside, where cable could be nicked when not in use & locked into car (unless you pack it away every time, or shackle it to wall).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do ABB do a tethered one? I would always choose a tethered unit - so much less hassle.

Yes they come tethered or untethered tethered will cost more

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Tethered v untethered is a continual toss-up, owner's choice, no single "right" answer. I went untethered, so could get a longer 10m cable easily, also that cable goes with me in the car on hols. My EVSE is in gge, so 99% of the time stays cabled up anyway, & can't be nicked easily. Different story if unit is outside, where cable could be nicked when not in use & locked into car (unless you pack it away every time, or shackle it to wall).
Yes I agree - very much depends on individual circumstances and preferences. I am a bit worried about my choice of Ohme as have always had tethered before and don't have a garage at new place but price and flexibility guided my choice. We shall see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts