Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i hope this is the right section, I've recently bought a used Nissan Leaf after much deliberation and decided now was the right time for me. It's 2013 63 Gen 2 (24) Acenta, 84k miles. (borrowed a 15 plate 24 a few months ago for a few days and was really impressed..so the cogs started turning and i decided i wanted one)

Loving the car, early days still but fingers crossed it's mainly all good so far.

It's got 11 of the 12 bars of battery remaining, and i used a Chademo yesterday on the way home (which was brilliant by the way) and rightly enough it said it got to 93% and stopped, which would tally with there being 1 bar missing. I haven't done a SOH as i've just recently got the car and haven't got the equipment yet to do that.

My question is - when "fully" charged (either by the Chademo yesterday) and the 'granny' method overnight, the gauge on the right shows 65 miles.

I've seen other adverts with leafs (with 11 bars remaining) charged to the max and they display more, one i saw (2014 car) showed 91 miles!?

So, my silly question is - does this change? Will it ever show more? I do think the car could do more than 65 miles as when used gently, it stays on 65 miles for quite a while before dropping down - so i think if you had a really gentle drive or ideal conditions for the full 'tank', you could get more than 65 miles before empty....

It's just...why is the car not showing more than 65 when it's 'full'?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know the gauge goes up and down a little depending on how you are driving....but shouldn't it start with more showing?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Its supposed to be based on the last X miles of driving. Mine (a 30kw car) always seems wildly over optimistic, usually up near 100miles on a full charge, and with my driving style it simply wont do anything near that (i do a lot of motorway driving, and i drive at the speed limit). I wish it would "figure out" my driving style and display more realistic figures.

To be honest, 65miles doesnt seem wildly far out. a 24kwh car had 22kwh usable when new. 11 bars means its below 85%, so that 22kwh is now 18 or so. If you average 3.3 miles per kwh, thats right around 60miles.
Lots of slow town driving will likely see maybe more like 4 miles per kwh, which gets you up into the 70's

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The range shown on GoM (referred to as the guessometer) depends in the last drive efficiency.

Of it has 11 bars the battery health is below 85% and same applies to range. Leaf 24 was normally good for 80 miles for charged.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome.

Rapid charging with Chademo is generally only 'rapid' up to about 80% full. If left long enough ( and the charger allows it) Chademo will charge to 100%, but it will take a very long time.

Think of the battery as a bucket. When new you can fill it 100% full. As the battery degrades the bucket is getting smaller. You can still fill it to 100% but there is less overall capacity.

So charge it up to 100% on a slower charger, then check the range counter (also known as the GOM - guessometer). As well as the state of charge, the GOM is also affected by the outside temperature and how efficiently you have driven it recently. It's ultimately a guess on the remaining range.

If you want to see a bigger number put the car in eco mode. The estimated range will shoot up, but it's still only a estimate.

Edit: Oh, and the first bar lost means a 15% loss in battery capacity. Additional bars are about 6.5% each.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your responses :)

Roger, understood about the 80% then slow. I arrived at the Chademo with very low battery, under 10%, poor planning on my part, and it got to the 80% level in approx 20-25 minutes. I noticed it slowed down considerably after that, which i understand as you say to be for the health of the battery. I was happy to wait until it 'finished' and sure enough maybe another 20 minutes later the Ecotricity machine said it had finished and it showed '93% on the charger screen. So i assumed (according to the machine) that the battery was only now chargable to 93% of it's original capacity.

So, to learn that the first bar is more like 15% off, thats interesting and would indeed make the 65 miles figure more realisitic :) So really, the battery is now only chargable 85% of it's original capacity.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses :)

Roger, understood about the 80% then slow. I arrived at the Chademo with very low battery, under 10%, poor planning on my part, and it got to the 80% level in approx 20-25 minutes. I noticed it slowed down considerably after that, which i understand as you say to be for the health of the battery. I was happy to wait until it 'finished' and sure enough maybe another 20 minutes later the Ecotricity machine said it had finished and it showed '93% on the charger screen. So i assumed (according to the machine) that the battery was only now chargable to 93% of it's original capacity.

So, to learn that the first bar is more like 15% off, thats interesting and would indeed make the 65 miles figure more realisitic :) So really, the battery is now only chargable 85% of it's original capacity.
No battery still charges 100% but it can only store sub 85% original capacity

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
To learn that the first bar is more like 15% off, thats interesting and would indeed make the 65 miles figure more realisitic :) So really, the battery is now only chargable 85% of it's original capacity.
You've got it. Actually, it could be slightly worse. One bar missing means the battery capacity (also known as the SOH - state of health) is between 79% and 85%. The next bar will drop at 78%.

I'd highly recommend picking up the Leafspy app (free) and an ODB port reader (£10) to get a clear picture of the battery health.

Our 2011 Leaf had dropped a second bar and Leafspy showed 75% SOH when I sold it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi, i hope this is the right section, I've recently bought a used Nissan Leaf after much deliberation and decided now was the right time for me. It's 2013 63 Gen 2 (24) Acenta, 84k miles. (borrowed a 15 plate 24 a few months ago for a few days and was really impressed..so the cogs started turning and i decided i wanted one)

Loving the car, early days still but fingers crossed it's mainly all good so far.

It's got 11 of the 12 bars of battery remaining, and i used a Chademo yesterday on the way home (which was brilliant by the way) and rightly enough it said it got to 93% and stopped, which would tally with there being 1 bar missing. I haven't done a SOH as i've just recently got the car and haven't got the equipment yet to do that.

My question is - when "fully" charged (either by the Chademo yesterday) and the 'granny' method overnight, the gauge on the right shows 65 miles.

I've seen other adverts with leafs (with 11 bars remaining) charged to the max and they display more, one i saw (2014 car) showed 91 miles!?

So, my silly question is - does this change? Will it ever show more? I do think the car could do more than 65 miles as when used gently, it stays on 65 miles for quite a while before dropping down - so i think if you had a really gentle drive or ideal conditions for the full 'tank', you could get more than 65 miles before empty....

It's just...why is the car not showing more than 65 when it's 'full'?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know the gauge goes up and down a little depending on how you are driving....but shouldn't it start with more showing?

Thanks everyone!
Welcome to the world of electric motoring. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you again. Yes, it's very nice! I find im driving....more smoothly...more calmly. The car has a very relaxing feel and is very comfy. - I seem to be leaving it in Eco usually and B (which i really like to use) - and every now and again turning Eco off - it really does go very well! Faster (at least say....0-40 than most or all of my previous cars) Very good fun when you want...but also very calm when you dont.

It liked my commute this morning. The car started with 65 miles showing, went up to 67 at one point, and ended on 62, for an 8 mile journey.

I have another question actually - i wonder if i could ask it here - i've searched around but not found the answer yet -
Carwings. Now known as Nissan Connect EV? I've got the app on my phone, fine. I need to log in, but didn't exist as a user and there wasn't an option to create myself on there. Read that i needed to create a Nissan+you account, which i did, which is 'active'

But the app is asking for a user ID - and i dont know what it is. my email address doesn't work as the ID.

Do you get this from somewhere else? And should i have already done something inside the car to enable this to work, before the stage im at now?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thank you again. Yes, it's very nice! I find im driving....more smoothly...more calmly. The car has a very relaxing feel and is very comfy. - I seem to be leaving it in Eco usually and B (which i really like to use) - and every now and again turning Eco off - it really does go very well! Faster (at least say....0-40 than most or all of my previous cars) Very good fun when you want...but also very calm when you dont.

It liked my commute this morning. The car started with 65 miles showing, went up to 67 at one point, and ended on 62, for an 8 mile journey.

I have another question actually - i wonder if i could ask it here - i've searched around but not found the answer yet -
Carwings. Now known as Nissan Connect EV? I've got the app on my phone, fine. I need to log in, but didn't exist as a user and there wasn't an option to create myself on there. Read that i needed to create a Nissan+you account, which i did, which is 'active'

But the app is asking for a user ID - and i dont know what it is. my email address doesn't work as the ID.

Do you get this from somewhere else? And should i have already done something inside the car to enable this to work, before the stage im at now?
You need to call You + Nissan - their number can be found on their website. They will need sales invoice to create a profile for you and add the car.

Eco mode is next to useless.. it makes the car feel very slow to respond. I use B mode when in stop start traffic or when I feel the need to brake at a distance. Otherwise its D.
If you are doing over 20mph and you are doing downhill you can flick the Drive / Reverse button to reverse and it puts the car in neutral allowing you to coast rather than regen - I tend to use it downhill on motorways

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried ECO mode once, when I first got the car. It was a horrible experience - like driving through treacle. It does nothing for economy that I can see unless you have a lead foot. It forces you to use more throttle (do we even use that term now?) for a given power output. It's a weird feeling and I didn't like it at all. It's like losing half the cylinders on an ICE.

As far as the Nissan app goes, I couldn't get that to do anything useful so I installed the 'My Leaf' app instead (that was on Android). It still has to go via the Nissan servers but, in spite of that, it seems more reliable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I tried ECO mode once, when I first got the car. It was a horrible experience - like driving through treacle. It does nothing for economy that I can see unless you have a lead foot. It forces you to use more throttle (do we even use that term now?) for a given power output. It's a weird feeling and I didn't like it at all. It's like losing half the cylinders on an ICE.

As far as the Nissan app goes, I couldn't get that to do anything useful so I installed the 'My Leaf' app instead (that was on Android). It still has to go via the Nissan servers but, in spite of that, it seems more reliable.
My Leaf is like million times faster and more useful than Nissan app

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's still early days and i seem to like being in Eco mode. At first it did seem like treacle, you really do need to press the throttle quite a lot more but i'm used to it straight away, then when i do use non-Eco it's a big suprise as it's reallu responsive. I may revert to using it all the time, i dont know yet :)

Used 16% of battery to get to work yesterday, 14% to get home and 10% to get in today.

Probably not the most accurate way to work things out, just by going off the battery icon but it's a start.

Average usage is 3.8-ish currently

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
For regular journeys the battery %SOC icon is probably the best indication of your likely usage. The miles remaining on the right of the dash display is rightly called the 'Guess-O-Meter' or GOM as it is trying to calculate the remaining mileage based upon your consumption for the last 10 miles or so, and does not take into account significant things like changes in height above sea level.

For instance (in my 13 Reg Gen 2 Leaf which like you has lost one battery bar), this morning I left home with 100% SOC and 83 miles on the GOM, drove 7.8 miles to see a friend where the SOC was showing 87% and the GOM said 67 miles remaining, then after driving home another 7.8 miles the SOC is showing 76% and the GOM is saying 65 miles. The reason for the odd GOM readings is my friend lives about 100 metres higher than I do!!

Remember, hills borrow %SOC, rain (and wet roads) steal it!!

The %SOC display is the % of your available battery capacity (not % of the original battery capacity) - one quick clue as to battery condition is the %SOC at which the low battery warning (LBW) appears - it is said to appear at 4kWh remaining, and on my Leaf that is at around 21% SOC. (Very low battery warning [VLBW] is said to occur at 2kWh remaining, which is consistent with your stop to rapid charge at around 10% remaining)

That the Ecotricity Rapid cut off at 93% SOC is pure chance - an Ecotricity charging session is set at 45 minutes unless stopped earlier using the app. That you made from less than 10% to 80% charge in 20-25 minutes, and then took another 20 minutes to get to 93% shows why it is not usually worth waiting to charge beyond around 80%.

My 'can I make my destination (or a later charging point) or should I stop and charge at the charging location I am approaching' decision threshold is based on a pessimistic 2% SOC per mile - if I have more than 2% SOC for each mile to the further point I will continue, if I have less I will stop and charge now.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Eco or not is pure personal preference. I prefer pressing 60% of accelerator and get 50% power applied, some people prefer pressing 40% and immediately 60% power.

Good use of 2% per mile estimate. I do 1.5% or 2% depending on battery temperature (6 bar = good), road condition (dry, 30mph and little traffic) and weather (no wind or rain). It'll all come with experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave (and Wyx) thank you - very helpful and my brain can underatand the way you've described it.

Yes, i truly messed up my first charge on the car. It was a 90 mile jounrney home and i had it in my mind that i would 'relatively easily' (HA!) get to the supercharger at approx 65 miles. Famous last words.
However i still had a couple of back up options in the general area....well, i got on the A1 IN BETWEEN these options. (i was supposed to get on the A1 BEFORE all options but i followed the sat nav and got on several miles further North)........and it was a case of...do i try to turn off and try to make the slightly closer one on the motorway - or another one which is just about in range......or try to get to the one i was aiming for initially - i made it - JUST. I had a low battery warning, and then another low battery warning a couple of minutes later which must be the VLBW you mention. It could have ended very differently with me stuck on the hard shoulder..NOT GOOD. I was very lucky.

Also - very interesting about the 45 minute cut off on the charger! So it could have actually taken a bit more and displayed 100% interesting. I thought...93%, thats as much as it will charge, fair enough - but it was acutally at the 93% point after 45 mins, and then ended on timing - makes sense.

Next bit - your 13 plate Gen 2 with 11 bars shows 81 miles when full......but my 63 plate Gen 2 with 11 bars shows 65 when fulll.....wwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhy?? It does go up a bit in certain conditions, i think it went up to 69/70 once after a short time...but why doesn't it START with more miles? Or will it 'learn' that as i go on? (I saw a 14 plate gen 2 (ex-taxi) advertised with a photo showing 100% and 91 miles range)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
your 13 plate Gen 2 with 11 bars shows 81 miles when full......but my 63 plate Gen 2 with 11 bars shows 65 when fulll.....wwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhy??
My previous journey before charging had been downhill similar to coming home from my friend. (Calculation on the 11% SOC for 7.8 miles for the journey home from my friend quoted above works out at 0.7 miles per % SOC.)

I would never trust my leaf to do 80 miles on a single charge - the longest I normally plan on is 62 miles from Hilltop to the M6 at Lymm Truckstop services (M6 J20) to get on the M6 northbound - coming home from Scotland earlier this year with a warm battery (a warm battery makes a beneficial difference to range) that 62 miles took me from 92% SOC to 17% SOC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts