Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Last week or so I watched a YouTube video comparing Leaf62 vs Tesla Model 3.
The ice thing that stood out was that Tesla satnav uses elevation info to tell you precise SoC at any point. Nissan on the other hand doesn't. It uses your past driving alone to compute SoC at destination.

Both at the end of the journey used similar kWh but tesla provided more info if needed.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Car showed 71 miles range at 100% this morning! Up from 65 the previous two times. Bring it!!!

Still loving it and finding it interesting. I'm now kinda....changing between D and B on my commute (on descents). I guess other drivers do this - i'm learning which descents like B or D in terms of holding the speed or slightly increasing it, not slowing down.

I find that B sometimes slows me down a bit too much whereas D lets you roll on / increase slightly and sometimes you get an extra 1% in the battery display and and extra 2 or even 3 miles on the range (9 mile commute).

Another quick (and probably stupid) question. I haven't done this yet - but the timed heating will only work when the car is plugged in, yes? It wont heat up if i've finished the charge and unplugged it before it's due to heat up?

Thanks everyone for your help and responses. Tell me to get lost if im asking stupid questions.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Another quick (and probably stupid) question. I haven't done this yet - but the timed heating will only work when the car is plugged in, yes? It wont heat up if i've finished the charge and unplugged it before it's due to heat up?
No question is stupid :)

Timed heating works not plugged in. There is a setting in the car to say whether to limit the timed heating to above 80% charge or not.
If this is set, timed heating only works when plugged in OR battery is above 80%.
If this is not set, timed heating works all the time until 20% battery (?someone please confirm?)

I've got the setting set. Some times I don't plug the car in because it's still got 50% left. I can be sure timed heating won't waste energy not needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to use B mode and Eco mode almost all the time, but I noticed when in stop and go traffic and when going down hill, the regen braking doesn't turn on the brake lights in the 24-30kW Leaf's which I thought was a bit dangerous especially if a car is following behind me very close, so I use D mode all the time now. I don't find D mode as fun to drive, but I noticed I still get regen when using the brakes (green bubbles fill up) before it actually uses the physical brakes. This does turn the brake lights on properly as they only come on when the brake pedal is pushed.

People behind me don't get as close in traffic now.

Eco mode changes the acceleration curve, so you still can floor it and get full power (white bubbles) it's great for finer more granular control of acceleration at slower speeds. Non-eco for showing off at traffic lights next to noisy slow ICE cars haha, or merging out of a junction fast when needed.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
the regen braking doesn't turn on the brake lights in the 24-30kW Leaf's which I thought was a bit dangerous especially if a car is following behind me very close, so I use D mode all the time now.
There is a deceleration limit above which the brake lights are required to turn on, and I suspect the Leaf's B mode regen is set just less than this limit. My observation is that B mode regen will regen the maximum 30kW (4 green bubbles) at speeds above 40mph (and at speeds below 40 mph will hold the speed constant on a 1 in 8 descent); with the brake pedal touched I get max regen at any speed over about 20mph.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
126 Posts
No question is stupid :)

Timed heating works not plugged in. There is a setting in the car to say whether to limit the timed heating to above 80% charge or not.
If this is set, timed heating only works when plugged in OR battery is above 80%.
If this is not set, timed heating works all the time until 20% battery (?someone please confirm?)

I've got the setting set. Some times I don't plug the car in because it's still got 50% left. I can be sure timed heating won't waste energy not needed.
That’s not how it works in my experience with a 16 plate 30kWh. Climate timers only work when plugged in. If I want to heat (or cool) while unplugged I have to use the app and press the button to do so. It gives a 10-15 minute blast of the heater.

While it doesn’t work unplugged on timer, the app still does exactly what you need. If I had left the car in an open car park all day I could tap the app and have the windscreen free of ice and the cabin warmed up for me arriving back at the car park ready for me to drive straight home without suffering the cold or having to scrape the window.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That’s not how it works in my experience with a 16 plate 30kWh. Climate timers only work when plugged in. If I want to heat (or cool) while unplugged I have to use the app and press the button to do so. It gives a 10-15 minute blast of the heater.

While it doesn’t work unplugged on timer, the app still does exactly what you need. If I had left the car in an open car park all day I could tap the app and have the windscreen free of ice and the cabin warmed up for me arriving back at the car park ready for me to drive straight home without suffering the cold or having to scrape the window.
Do you have the setting I mentioned in the climate timer section of the infotainment screen? Wording is something like "charge priority"

I am sure climate works not plugged in. I've previously had my charge level go down and car defrosted of ice in mornings I didn't plug in and not needed the car. This is on '64 plate Leaf 24 with older CarWings.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
126 Posts
Do you have the setting I mentioned in the climate timer section of the infotainment screen? Wording is something like "charge priority"

I am sure climate works not plugged in. I've previously had my charge level go down and car defrosted of ice in mornings I didn't plug in and not needed the car. This is on '64 plate Leaf 24 with older CarWings.
For me the priority thing just stops it running at all if the battery is below 80% so it can take as much power as possible to charge the battery rather than giving power to the heater if I recall correctly. I will have to double check this but almost certain that’s what happens for me.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I did think it was a strange behaviour and different from what the text says...... but if I recall correctly, that's how my car behaves during the first winter I got the car.

It's worth for me to double check as well, it's been a few years.
1. not plugged in test timer above 80% (I think this only happened once, so I need to double check)
2. not plugged in test timer below 80% (because I have the setting set, timer climate never starts, expected behaviour)
3. plugged in but not charging, under 80% test timer (timer activated climate a few times before I changed the setting. We agree on this, the text for the setting suggests this is expected behaviour)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I did think it was a strange behaviour and different from what the text says...... but if I recall correctly, that's how my car behaves during the first winter I got the car.

It's worth for me to double check as well, it's been a few years.
1. not plugged in test timer above 80% (I think this only happened once, so I need to double check)
2. not plugged in test timer below 80% (because I have the setting set, timer climate never starts, expected behaviour)
3. plugged in but not charging, under 80% test timer (timer activated climate a few times before I changed the setting. We agree on this, the text for the setting suggests this is expected behaviour)
Very odd behaviour. My 2011 Leaf always started the climate timer, whether it was plugged in or not. I did read that it won't start if the SOC is under 20%, but never had this issue.

Of course, this may have been changed on newer models

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've checked this. At 83% battery, with the climate priority selected, the climate timer did not start climate control.

So Koda is right, I stand corrected, climate control timer doesn't work when not plugged in.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts