Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it looks like my LEAF will be delivered at the end of next week! Yippeeeee!

One of the first journeys that it will make will be to Coventry Uni so I can attend my saturday lectures!

Lucky the building I'm going to has a plug in midlands charging point.

The details of this point are: https://www.zap-map.com/pts/4r3yl9p/#.VAeQifldWEU

CHARGING POINTS
Rating: 3kW 13A
Supply: 1-phase AC
Socket: 3-Square pin
Rating: 7kW 32A
Socket: Type 2 Mennekes

Does this mean that I need to source a new cable to make use of these points?

Will I also need a cable to use the Ikea chargers (ecotricity)?

I've received my ecotricity card and ordered my plug-in-midlands card.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rating: 3kW 13A
Socket: 3-Square pin

This charge point will accept the Nissan supplied EVSE if you have gone for the base level 3.3kWh charger. Often referred to as the brick, or regular plug.

Rating: 7kW 32A
Socket: Type 2 Mennekes

This charge point will accept the Type 1 - Type 2 cable supplied if you have gone for the upgraded 6.6kWh charger option.

If you have gone for the base charger (with the brick), a Type 1 - Type 2 cable can still be a good investment as the Type 2 Mennekes socket is more common than the regular 3 pin plug on charge points. With a Type 1 - Type 2 cable your Leaf will charge at 16A as opposed to 10A with the brick.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase, you won't regret it.

If you have the 3.3kW LEAF, this will come with a 3 pin plug EVSE. This means you can plug into the 3 pin 13A socket.

If you have the 6.6kW LEAF, this will come with a converter cable called a type 1 to type 2. Type 1 being the connection to the LEAF, type 2 being the European standard for electric car sockets. This means you can plug your LEAF into the 32A type 2 mennekes socket. This will charge your car alot faster than the standard 13A (10A in reality) 3 pin socket.

But if you have purchased a 3.3kW LEAF fear not, you can purchase the type 1 to type 2 cable sepperately at a cost of around £160. This will allow your car to charge at type 2 socket charge stations at 3.3kW (16A).

To connect to the Ikea Ecotricity charge point the cable is already attached to the charger. It is a very large thick cable (due to it being a very powerful charger) as it charges at upto 50kW / 120A. This faster charger standard for your LEAF is called CHAdeMO. You will only need an Ecotricity card to start the charge. Plug the cable in and press start. Then sit back and watch your LEAF charge in a quick coffee break!

Reactions: MRH

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your Leaf will come with a cable to fit one of those charging points.
The Ikea at Wednesbury is tethered i.e has its own lead and nozzle to fit rapid charging socket on the Leaf so if your Leaf has a rapid charging socket you would be ok without. Not 100% sure about Coventry Ikea but it shows as being an ecotricity point so you should be ok.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - as I'll be there all day I'll use the supplied charger.

I'll put a Type 1 - Type 2 cable on the wish list!

I may pop into Ikea on the way home to see what their charging arrangements are.

Plan to visit all the local rapids shortly after it arrives so that I know what is needed at each location.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Plan to visit all the local rapids shortly after it arrives so that I know what is needed at each location.
Check out the video in this post first.

https://speakev.com/posts/33385/

The CHAdeMO connector isn't the most intuitive and the ecotricity rapids only flash the disconnect instructions for a second or two. A lot of the ones around my area have broken handles which ecotricity don't bother fixing, so you may need to manhandle it on or off while pressing the button replicating what the handle should do.

At least you'll know how it should work - I wish I did on my first rapid experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts