Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have taken the plunge and take delivery of my E-Niro one day next week I think. It is being delivered to the dealer tomorrow, so I assume I should get it next week.
I am a bit confused regarding charging. On my drive home from work there are charging points on Woodhall Services between junctions 31 and 30 of the M1.
Does the car come with everything I need to use these charging points? Are there different types and can I use the wrong one inadvertently? How do I pay? Sorry for the seemingly obvious questions lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi so I have taken the plunge and take delivery of my E-Niro one day next week I think. It is being delivered to the dealer tomorrow, so I assume I should get it next week.
I am a bit confused regarding charging. On my drive home from work there are charging points on Woodhall Services between junctions 31 and 30 of the M1.
Does the car come with everything I need to use these charging points? Are there different types and can I use the wrong one inadvertently? How do I pay? Sorry for the seemingly obvious questions lol
The car will almost certainly come with a cable. You can always buy more from the various outlets selling EV accessories though if, for some wild reason, they decided not to send you one.

On charging, take a look at the guides on here > https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/

They are very informative and include details on each car too. E-Niro guide here > https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/kia-e-niro-charging-guide/

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
289 Posts
Well done for joining the EV ranks. Sure you will find this forum useful.

The quick answer is yes you have. The Niro comes with a type 2 cable which you can use with fast chargers and you can use the rapid chargers which have their own tethered charging cables A guide on the types of cables, charger types and indeed location of chargers and pricing can be found at https://www.zap-map.com/ Others here will chip in about other cable types and charger types used by other vehicles so you do not try plugging in the wrong cable..

As to payment. Still a bit of a mishmash of need for Apps and RFID cards where you have to subscribe to a provider, increasing number of chargers were you can use contactless credit/charge cards and quite a few free to use chargers, typically at supermarkets. Again Zap-Map is a good reference point as it gives this information. People here will also tell you about favourite charger companies. Mine are Instavolt, Osprey and Geniepoint. But a lot will depend are where you are when you need a charge.

Not sure about your home set up but everybody will tell you that having a home charger fitted is the best option, especially given the range of the E-Niro. Iam sure though that you have this in hand.

As to Woodhall services. Unless anybody here knows otherwise then this is a Tesla Supercharger location so unfortunately reserved for Tesla cars/owners only.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Well done for joining the EV ranks. Sure you will find this forum useful.

As to Woodhall services. Unless anybody here knows otherwise then this is a Tesla Supercharger location so unfortunately reserved for Tesla cars/owners only.

Hope that helps.

According to ZapMap, there are also Ecotricity chargers at Woodhall

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
289 Posts
So there is...thought unusual when I first looked given that normal for motorway services. Had to expand the map to see them though. So Green Machine you have that option as well.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
899 Posts
I am not normally an impulsive person regarding cars, but I ordered this E-Niro without actually seeing one, driven one, or even driving any EV
Wow!
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. It’s an amazing car to drive.
Peter

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am not normally an impulsive person regarding cars, but I ordered this E-Niro without actually seeing one, driven one, or even driving any EV
Hahaha... well hang on to your hat! EVs can be thrilling to drive. I don't advise selecting Sport mode until you've become a little more used to driving the e-niro ;).

The manual is a bit confusing and not very well organised IMHO. However, I second the advise given by others above regarding Zap-Map, a wealth of information there.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask what might seem to be basic questions. :D

Enjoy the drive home!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Note that the most useful chargers for the e-Niro are CCS chargers (rapid chargers) which can charge the battery very quickly to about 80% - then they slow down. The CCS chargers have a connector which looks like a kind of double connector and you have to remove both the protective caps on the e-Niro charging connection in order to fit them.
In the case of "fast" chargers which are much slower than the rapids, you only need to remove the top protective cap. You will need your own cable for these, but it will be supplied with the e-Niro. If it is not go back to the dealer!
Hope you enjoy the e-Niro. It is a great car. And like all electric cars once you have driven it you are unlikely to want to drive anything else!

·
Registered
278 Posts
The car will almost certainly come with a cable. You can always buy more from the various outlets selling EV accessories though if, for some wild reason, they decided not to send you one.

On charging, take a look at the guides on here > https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/

They are very informative and include details on each car too. E-Niro guide here > https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/kia-e-niro-charging-guide/
On Zap-Map, have a good look at all the various filters and set shortcuts to your preferred options. Otherwise the map is cluttered with chargers, most of which will be of doubtful interest. E.g. I have a dedicated one for Instavolt and another for maxkW, i.e. all rapid chargers from 50kW to 350kW.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A couple of things they don't tell you:
1) Charging losses -- typically 15%, sometimes less but can be much higher, i.e. pay for 10, get 8.5.
2) Massive hit to range as temperature drops in winter, e.g. (our car) August average 4.8 miles/kWh = over 300 miles versus January average 3.5 miles/kWh = 225 miles.
3) Motorway speeds also hit efficiency hard summer and winter -- typically 3.7 miles/kWh summer, 3-ish in winter.

But, having accepted this, you won't be disappointed -- not least because the heater works within seconds and you're never in the wrong gear.

P.S. Order a CamWipe (CamWipe – Making a Great Car even better) - the reversing camera gets very dirty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
many thanks for the replies, delay on car, it has arrived at dealer, but I am taking a two year lease on the car, and only got final documents to sign yesterday. lease co have to acknowledge receipt of docs and then I have to wait 14 days re the colling off period. Which i assume is for a online transaction, even though I have told them i don't want a cooling off period - i just want the car

·
Registered
193 Posts
many thanks for the replies, delay on car, it has arrived at dealer, but I am taking a two year lease on the car, and only got final documents to sign yesterday. lease co have to acknowledge receipt of docs and then I have to wait 14 days re the colling off period. Which i assume is for a online transaction, even though I have told them i don't want a cooling off period - i just want the car
When I agreed a two-year lease, the documentation I initially received said that I couldn't take delivery of the car until the end of the 14-day cooling-off period. I asked the leasing company if I could waive this and they agreed. Everything was discussed via email so that I'd have a record of both parties agreeing to that. The cooling-off period is to protect you; if you're prepared to forego it, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I agreed a two-year lease, the documentation I initially received said that I couldn't take delivery of the car until the end of the 14-day cooling-off period. I asked the leasing company if I could waive this and they agreed. Everything was discussed via email so that I'd have a record of both parties agreeing to that. The cooling-off period is to protect you; if you're prepared to forego it, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.
Hi Bill, I have just e-mailed them asking this, lets see what they say - thanks and hopefully it works

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have received a reply and apparently thay say i can't waive my cooling off period unless i do so on their premises and they wont allow this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts