Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found the forum looking for a proper answer to the Road Tax question. I’m getting a late 2018 i3 120ah without Range Extender as I want to go fully electric from a hybrid.

BMW main dealer says Road Tax due as more than £40k new but DVLA say zero emissions are zero tax? I’m just wondering as surely Main Dealer ought to know and not wanting any last minute surprises or hiccups.

Thank you and I’m sure this site will be invaluable as I try to learn about the EV world - good and bad.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi,

I found the forum looking for a proper answer to the Road Tax question. I’m getting a late 2018 i3 120ah without Range Extender as I want to go fully electric from a hybrid.

BMW main dealer says Road Tax due as more than £40k new but DVLA say zero emissions are zero tax? I’m just wondering as surely Main Dealer ought to know and not wanting any last minute surprises or hiccups.

Thank you and I’m sure this site will be invaluable as I try to learn about the EV world - good and bad.
DVLA is correct

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry to raise a doubt, but I kept the price of my 2018 i3 below £40k due to the tax liability. By chance, my selection of accessories didn't breach the £40k so I didn't feel short changed.
My understanding, then and now, was that if the total price was over £40k then tax was payable. I am less certain about how long this tax liability lasts, 3 or 5 years are the numbers I have in mind.

Regards.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
Sorry to raise a doubt, but I kept the price of my 2018 i3 below £40k due to the tax liability. By chance, my selection of accessories didn't breach the £40k so I didn't feel short changed.
My understanding, then and now, was that if the total price was over £40k then tax was payable. I am less certain about how long this tax liability lasts, 3 or 5 years are the numbers I have in mind.

Regards.
I think they removed this for zero emission vehicles back in April this year.

I remember as I previously had to pay tax on the Model X.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both. I will try to get definitive answer from DVLA as surely they know what occurs in each budget? If I get clarity I’ll post a reply. Much appreciated. Doubt firmly cast. Lol. 😂

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks both. I will try to get definitive answer from DVLA as surely they know what occurs in each budget? If I get clarity I’ll post a reply. Much appreciated. Doubt firmly cast. Lol. 😂
You will get a definitive answer from DVLA. It was introduced in April 2017 for all vehicles and subsequently removed for BEVs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You will get a definitive answer from DVLA. It was introduced in April 2017 for all vehicles and subsequently removed for BEVs.
I thought that higher cost BEVs still attracted the luxury car tax, although it has gone quite a bit higher, I am sure I read that cars like Tesla S, Audi, Jaguar still attract the luxury tax for EVs? I’d like to be wrong.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I thought that higher cost BEVs still attracted the luxury car tax, although it has gone quite a bit higher, I am sure I read that cars like Tesla S, Audi, Jaguar still attract the luxury tax for EVs? I’d like to be wrong.
Oh good, after digging around a bit it appears ALL EVs are now expedition from ANY road tax....,,,that’s good, although there is something about it coming back in 2025 for luxury EVs.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Surely, from April 17 to April 20, all new cars over £40k had luxury car tax added for 5 years.

New EVs from April 20 are now exempt, but that isn't backdated. So a car 1st registered between those dates and costing over £40k would still pay the extra car tax for five years.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
205 Posts
Surely, from April 17 to April 20, all new cars over £40k had luxury car tax added for 5 years.

New EVs from April 20 are now exempt, but that isn't backdated. So a car 1st registered between those dates and costing over £40k would still pay the extra car tax for five years.
That's my understanding of how it works too

·
Registered
394 Posts

No... this one was backdated. All BEVs whenever registered have been exempted from the luxury tax.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts

I can tell you for a fact it was backdated. My 2017 Model X had a zero tax bill last April.

Go read the DVLA website properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts