Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.
About to take delivery of my new Tesla model 3 next week. Really excited and can’t wait to join the electric community!
I have a question about charging that may have been answered somewhere but can’t find on any threads. I see on some public chargers there are time limits but if a charger is to pay for and there are no time limit stated then is it ok to leave for longer charge? Or is this seen as being greedy and hogging it? Might sound silly but don’t want to leave a car all day if it’s not ok.
I am having a home charger installed but it won’t be ready for at least a month so was considering using the supermarket near where I work. It’s not a free charger and doesn’t show a time limit so thought I’d pop it on before work then pick up about 8 hours later
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
168 Posts
You need to check parking restrictions. Supermarkets are usually 2 or 3 hours max. Many on street fast chargers (7kw) have parking limits of usually 4 hours. Rapid chargers will have an overstay fee to pay after usually 1 hour. If there are no time limits stated then leave it until you're full but don't hog the charger any longer than that.
Welcome and enjoy EV life

·
Registered
598 Posts
Why not just rapid charge it once or twice a week until your home charger is installed? Do you do huge amounts of miles per week?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to check parking restrictions. Supermarkets are usually 2 or 3 hours max. Many on street fast chargers (7kw) have parking limits of usually 4 hours. Rapid chargers will have an overstay fee to pay after usually 1 hour. If there are no time limits stated then leave it until you're full but don't hog the charger any longer than that.
Welcome and enjoy EV life
Thanks teepee
the supermarkets near my house all show a time limit and it's understandable that they don't want someone hogging all day. The supermarket I'm looking at near work has 8 bays, they are all to pay & seem to be quite lightly used. I think I'll ask at the supermarket. Don't want to upset other EV drivers in my first week!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just rapid charge it once or twice a week until your home charger is installed? Do you do huge amounts of miles per week?
Thanks EVJourney.
I have superchargers on my route to work so rapid charge is a real option to me as well. Just looking at options to be honest. Although the the supermarket that I'm talking about does charge its is significantly less than the supercharger and would have almost no impact in terms of time taken.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If there are no parking restrictions, then I think this would be fine. Outside of a supermarket car park, I wouldn't think twice. It's precisely what slower 7kW chargers are for.

How far do you travel to work each day? Feasibly you wouldn't have to do this everyday right? Presumably towards the end of the week when you are running low. I did a similar thing before I moved to a house with a home charger. Did my weekly driving and then parked up at a car park for 4/5hours and topped it up on the weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there are no parking restrictions, then I think this would be fine. Outside of a supermarket car park, I wouldn't think twice. It's precisely what slower 7kW chargers are for.

How far do you travel to work each day? Feasibly you wouldn't have to do this everyday right? Presumably towards the end of the week when you are running low. I did a similar thing before I moved to a house with a home charger. Did my weekly driving and then parked up at a car park for 4/5hours and topped it up on the weekend.

Thanks for this.
you are exactly right. I generally do about 250-300 miles a week so really it would just be a full day when it gets down.
As previous poster has said I could supercharge but if this longer charge was possible it would actually be much easier for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts