Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I picked up my Model 3 Long Range last week and so far have been enjoying the car.

Today I made my first long-ish trip, 165 miles on A roads driving mostly at 60mph and 8c outside temperature. No AC or heating on. I set off with 245 miles range thinking I would be ok but about half way there it became apparent that I wasn’t going to make it and I had to stop and charge. I realise the range showing isn’t to be treated as gospel but my rough arithmetic would suggest I’d need to leave home almost fully charged to manage a 165 mile journey comfortably.

Just wanted to ask for thoughts and experiences on whether this seems normal for this time of year or if perhaps something isn’t right with the car?

Very grateful for any input.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi
i had a model 3 long range and was getting near 300 miles 100% charge but they do take a while too settle and get used to your driveing syle plus its based on your energy used whats the car showing as energy used in wh
but yes that trip should have been done easy less you were useing all the power
if can help more please ask.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Located here. It's the figure on the right (in this screenshot it's 217 Wh/mi, which is pretty efficient).

If that white panel isn't there then you should be able to see the three grey dots (circled red) at the bottom. Each dot represents a different panel and you will need to swipe right until the first dot is highlighted (as the screenshot shows). Then you should be able to see this panel with the Wh/mile information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smashing, thanks.

This hasn’t ever been reset so It’ll represent from the day I picked up the car. I don’t normally have sentry mode on by the way.

I need to confess to not knowing very much about this side of it. I just reckoned that with a range of 245 showing then I’d have no trouble driving 165 miles. FWIW the car reckoned I’d make it but with 3% left. That was a little tight for my liking.

I reckon, very roughly, that today’s journey worked out around 1.3-1.5 miles on the range meter for every mile traveled.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I set off with 245 miles range
Is this the range quoted on the main display near the speed? If so then you'll quickly learn not to trust this at all, it seems to be fixed to the EPC range that Tesla quote at your % of battery left, and not at all representative of real conditions; in my experience it works nothing like a GOM on other brands. I switched mine to % display instead, as per screenshot from Odinas above.

If you want accurate range display, you first need to set a destination in navigation then use the 'Energy' screen which gives predicted against actual consumption for your journey taking everything into account and which is pretty accurate.

Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ignore the miles reading, it is fantasy. Switch to % instead & stop fretting about miles you'll never achieve. The navigation option mentioned above is always bang on so you're much better off depending on that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It might also be a case of a few journeys and a few recharges for the batteries to be able to give a more accurate range? But I'd just be guessing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, it’s all understood and appreciated , but ultimately it looks like the car will only be able to manage about 200 miles on a full charge. If that’s normal then fair enough but what I’m asking is if this is typical, or is there something not just right?

Many thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
There are a lot of factors that affect range and although speed is one, it is not the only one. Elevation changes have a big impact as you use a lot more power to go uphill and don't get as much back via regen going down. Headwinds have an impact and rain increases surface tension and reduces range too.

The energy screen can be useful to see a more accurate indication of predicted range as it allows you to see projected range based on consumption over last x miles. The main display NEVER updates based on your diving or conditions, it just uses a fixed formula.

We have never experienced range as low as 200 miles even in winter so perhaps the 245 mile range when you left was incorrect. This can occur if the car has been kept at a narrow band of charge for a long time, for best accuracy let the battery go low occasionally.

Below is CarWow test of range

Below is energy screen example
tesla-range-estimator.jpg

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This one may be more relevant as it compares the 3LR and 3SR+, and is the current version of the cars:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Seems low but head winds can make a big difference, a 20mph head wind turns 60mph into 80mph. I think you need to live with it a little to work out what the differences are, the usual suspects are a very cold car is very inefficient until the battery is warmed up, wind and rain can also detract and even tyre pressures, plus driving speed but 60mph would normally get you close to the rated efficiency.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve had the Model 3 LR since Aug 2019 in the UK. It’s extremely difficult to understand how the range is calculated. Whilst mine isn’t the latest model, I can tell you that when fully charged in warm summer months I can get around 320 miles. In the winter months this drops to around 260 miles. I find ‘abetterrouteplanner’ works well for planning longer trips.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I’ve had the Model 3 LR since Aug 2019 in the UK. It’s extremely difficult to understand how the range is calculated. Whilst mine isn’t the latest model, I can tell you that when fully charged in warm summer months I can get around 320 miles. In the winter months this drops to around 260 miles. I find ‘abetterrouteplanner’ works well for planning longer trips.
Conceptually its quite simple, the BMS reports how many kwh are available from the battery and the car converts it to miles using the EPA consumption figure. The analogy I use is a lift can hold maybe 400kg but they usually also say it can hold 8 people. Its a real world approximation which would be optomistic at a rugby club and pessimistic at an junior school.

A cold battery can hold less power which is one of the reason why you get seasonal variation.

The other is the BMS calibration drifts and you need to let it stand over night at differnet states of charge so it has a variety of accurate readings to be able to extrapolate the range (and where zero is).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help. Appreciated.

My problem came from using the range display instead of percentage. When I thought I had 245 miles in the tank I obviously had nowhere near that.

I charged to 100% then today I drove 180 miles at mostly 60mph with the heating at 18c and it was 6c outside. I used percent instead of range and used the trip screen in the consumption app and everything was much more straight forward and clearer. I got home with 38% left so my rough calculations tell me I can expect a range of around 290 miles. I appreciate this will improve slightly with warmer weather so I’m happy enough with that.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Perhaps this will help explain the temperature versus range of a model 3. Mine is a March 2020 with 12000 miles. This is taken from TeslaFi. As you can see the best temperature for efficiency is 20 to 30 degreesC. Unfortunately here in the Noth East of Scotland, those days are few and far between as you can see from the graph. At 18C my max range, driven carefully at about 6mph is about 290 ish miles. I drove 285 miles last year to Teebay and had 3% left but started the drive at 0600 and 6C and ended it at 20C. However in December ABRP said that I would only get to Glasgow with 10% remaning due to the cold rain and wind which have a big effect on all vehicles.. it's just that we are more aware of the effect on EV's. I find percentage is much better than miles remaining and use the built in graphs a lot when on long trips.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts