Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I had my first drive in an i3 last week and am now smitten! The search is on for a used 94ah Rex for about £20k. My present car is pretty well spec'd and I don't really go back the way.

One of the things I am trying to understand is which option or package gives the road or traffic sign recognition on the dash i.e. tells you when the speed limit is 30mph etc?

Another thing I am trying to understand is what is cruise control with "brake function". I am guessing this isn't ACC?

What is "eDrive"? I see some cars listed as "E" but not sure what this means.

Looking at the used market, very few cars seem to have all of the options checked. I guess that it is an already expensive car without adding thousands of pounds more for some additional niceties.

I am not too worried about colour choice although don't want Black. I would like cool wheels, avoiding the pizza slice ones. Would like the large screen, rear camera, ACC, traffic sign recognition. Not too worried about upholstery although don't like the dark brown leather. I do like the wood options.

I really like the i3s but a bit out of budget this time round.

I look forward to learning more and ultimately finding the right car. I am sure I will have many more questions although a lot have already been answered using the search option .

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3 (120Ah)
997 Posts
Another thing I am trying to understand is what is cruise control with "brake function". I am guessing this isn't ACC?
No. That's just basic cruise control, but with the ability to apply braking for going downhill to help maintain your desired speed.

What is "eDrive"? I see some cars listed as "E" but not sure what this means.
As far as I know, all of them are. It's just to say its electric. That's definitely all that the E means.

I'm not 100% on the other questions so will leave it for someone with more knowledge of the i3 to answer and avoid the risk of giving false information.

Most of the options were quite expensive, and weren't especially important. Minus the heat pump I don't view many other options are very important, and it doesn't look like many other people did either.

As for the reversing camera, I think they all come with sensors and auto mirrors that point downward when reversing. Between that, and fair visibility I've never really missed the camera when jumping between one that does, and doesn't have it equipped.

Even a fairly basic i3 is still quite nice to sit inside and drive though so don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I would never have worked out about the ability to brake without it cancelling the cruise function.

I know what you mean about the camera but I went from a car with a camera to one without and really miss it. I also feel that this is my chance to try and get the spec I really want. I also believe that a really well spec'd car helps with resale when you're ready for a change.

I'm still really interested to find out about the road sign recognition system

·
Registered
39 Posts
Speed sign recognition is part of the driver’s assistance package which also includes ACC (useful) and Traffic Jam Assist (useless). I’m pretty sure all 94ah have the large screen.

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
Looking at the used market, very few cars seem to have all of the options checked. I guess that it is an already expensive car without adding thousands of pounds more for some additional niceties.
Most of the options add nothing to the residual, which makes a big difference in PCP or lease payments.

I'm sure many were configured to stay under £40,000 MSRP.

Cars registered after 1 April 2017 with an MSRP over £40,000 are subject to a £325 luxury tax. The REx is taxed as a PHEV, so the vehicle tax is £465 a year. The luxury tax is only for the first 5 years, so it will eventually drop to £140 a year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed sign recognition is part of the driver’s assistance package which also includes ACC (useful) and Traffic Jam Assist (useless). I’m pretty sure all 94ah have the large screen.
Thank you exactly the information that I was looking for but couldn't find.

They do but only 2018 has the updated iDrive system. There are many differences between a 2017 and 2018 i3.
That too is useful. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason as to which has a large screen and which has the smaller screen although I had worked out that the media pro system gives the larger screen. What does the updated 2018 iDrive system give you? I was thinking of keeping it pre 31/03/2017 to save on road tax.

Most of the options add nothing to the residual, which makes a big difference in PCP or lease payments.

I'm sure many were configured to stay under £40,000 MSRP.

Cars registered after 1 April 2017 with an MSRP over £40,000 are subject to a £325 luxury tax. The REx is taxed as a PHEV, so the vehicle tax is £465 a year. The luxury tax is only for the first 5 years, so it will eventually drop to £140 a year.
I appreciate that spec may do little to the used value but may help to sell the car compared to a lowly spec'd model.

There appears to be more cars come onto the used market this weekend so will spend some more time trawling the ads.

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
What does the updated 2018 iDrive system give you? I was thinking of keeping it pre 31/03/2017 to save on road tax.

iDrive gets a new, better display with resolution increased to 1,440 x 540. They also updated the computer modules. I think BMW call it NBT Evo hardware. Software is iDrive 5 or 6 - I can't remember.

The user interface is tiled based. Navigation is significally better. It can get over the air map updates. You can update the maps at home, even if over the air isn't working.

A 2018 i3 that has the WiFi hotspot option can have Apple CarPlay retrofitted. There isn't a BMW approved ACP retrofit for a 2018 i3 that does not have WiFi hotspot.

There are many new features and settings - I'm not exactly sure how many are new though.

There is lot there if you bother to learn how to use it.

Some are a usefull. I've got Weather Radar on a short cut key. Others are a little silly TBH. I'd gues most i3 owners don't even know the car has screens like these:

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
I had worked out that the media pro system gives the larger screen.
All of the 2018s sold in the UK have the larger screen. Not sure about 2017.

BMW stopped selling map updates for an i3 with the small screen.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,531 Posts
Just to weigh in with my opinion on the few options / features that I’ve had experience of in a 2019

ACC - definitely worth having - far from perfect in the i3, but I use it on just about journey

Traffic signs / speed limits - no big deal, I always have Waze running anyway and you can’t really trust either 100%

Traffic jam assist thing - no big deal, fairly useless

LED headlights - excellent, wouldn’t want to be without them

Reversing camera - do not have and IMO not needed. I’d rather have front sensors I think as the front is so stubby that I can’t seem to help but leave more space than necessary!

Sunroof & Apple Car Play - do not have but I think these are the options that I would most like to have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, thank you. Really Good to hear which options you value as an existing owner. I know it maybe sounds like I am hung up on traffic sign recognition, but I really like it in my current car and would seem like a backward step not to have it.

Good shout with regards to LEDs . Again I have adaptive lights at the moment so would like to have good lights. Interesting to hear your thoughts in the sunroof. Certainly not a deal breaker but would be great to have.

I think you are probably right about a reversing camera, if you have front and back sensors. Probably when I miss a camera most at the moment is to double check that there aren't any pedestrians behind you.

Buying used I am definitely going to have to compromise on some options, I just need to decide which ones!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,531 Posts
traffic sign recognition, but I really like it in my current car and would seem like a backward step not to have it.
I might make more of an effort to look at it over the next few trips and see if I reevaluate. I think maybe the thing I find with the i3 is that you have to be quite alert and 'switched on’ when driving at any speed (because the steering is direct and there is no lane follow assist) and as a result you don’t really feel like you have much opportunity to glance down and focus on the traffic sign display - but that obviously might just be me!
sunroof. Certainly not a deal breaker but would be great to have.
I’ve never actually been in an i3 with a sunroof - just always liked the look of the way it’s done in the i3..!
I miss a camera most at the moment is to double check that there aren't any pedestrians behind you.
I’m not sure how the i3 camera is set up in terms of field of view, but I believe some reversing cameras in some cars don’t make it that easy to check for pedestrians just about to walk behind because the field of view isn’t wide enough. So maybe worth trying to see if you can find one with a camera just to try that aspect out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. Sounds like there might be fewer compromises to be made if I can stretch to a 2018 car.

Electric cars are expensive and I suspect that demand may be high for reasonably priced evs for the next few years while supply could be relatively restricted as more and more people (like me) look to make the switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I specified the sunroof on mine half thinking it was a bit of a waste of time but in fact I am glad I got it. I am used to cars with panoramic glass roofs so appreciate the additional light in the car. And whilst the sunroof does not open very wide it is nice to have a source of fresh air without opening windows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are my latest thoughts. Many comments I have read over the past week have made me consider trying to stretch for a 2018 model. A lot of comments also mention that the i3s is a better drive. I also really like it in Melbourne Red. Problem is that is a fair old budget stretch from my original,£18k to at least £25k. As I am looking for a 94ah rex I would also be hit with "road tax" of £465 per year.

I am also a bit worried that when I see an i3s on the road I don't lust after it in the same way I would normally when looking to change cars, if you know what I mean. I am going to test drive an i3s tomorrow so will see how I feel after that.

I read that an interest free loan of up to £20k is to be made available in Scotland. That might persuade me to stretch my budget slightly but I will need to see what the details say. Scottish Government to offer loans of up to £20,000 for second-hand EVs - Energy Live News

Meanwhile I should really get my finger out and see if I can try and sell my own car privately.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tried the i3S and the i3. First test drive I had in an S was on dead flat roads and I was sold on it. Another test drive on typical pot holed roads and I was reconsidering. Eventually I went for an i3 on 19 inch alloys because I found the ride a lot more forgiving - and tbh whilst the S is quicker the standard car is pretty quick too.
So if your budget limits you to an i3 rather than i3S I would not worry too much.
Agree with other comments on here that the 2018 facelift car is the one to go for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts