Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Found this forum and have lurked for a while, but have joined up now that I've made up my mind.

I will (post-lockdown - swap my hybrid (Lexus RX400h) for a full EV. Currently considering the Leaf, Soul and Zoe, possibly the i3 (not sure). It'd be my daily driver with a second V8-ICE car for long journeys.

Being a cheapskate, I will be buying somewhere in the £7000-10000 bracket, perhaps a bit more for a car which catches my eye. The Honda E is the type of tech I appreciate, but I can't afford the depreciation hit with new cars. So perhaps in 4-5 years...

Anyhoo, hello! :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
For reliability / quality I'd suggest the Soul, its just that little bit better than the Leaf. If your budget can stretch get a 30kWh one (from late 2017, I think most 67 plate onwards), these will do 100 in the Winter and 130-140 in the summer, you'd probably be looking around 12-14K for one of those though.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Welcome @goldtop , sounds like you have a good plan. You have identified the obvious mainstream EVs in your budget and my choice would be a Soul 30 as @shikoku14 suggests.

I used to run some big powerful cars and for a while has a ICE lexus. I traded my last ICE in for a Soul 27 which I actually thought the wife would use, but I had it as my daily driver for a couple of years before she got it. I actually found that even a car with a 70 mile range in winter was fine for 90% of my driving needs. I contemplated getting a longer range Tesla or Niro, then getting a V8 ICE for longer journeys but in the end decided I didn't need them. We do have a ICE in the household and I've used that for longer journeys 3 times in over 4 years because I needed to get somewhere in a hurry. I have undertaken 250 mile plus drives in a day more than a dozen times in a lowish range EV and just 3 weeks ago did more than 400 miles in a single day in the middle of winter in my current 120 winter range MG.

If I was regularly doing much more than say 140 miles in a day I would want a longer range EV or an ICE to fall back on.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'll echo the recommendation for the Soul.

We had a nissan Leaf 24, replaced our old ICE with a Lexus GS450h alongside the Leaf and then replaced the Leaf with a Tesla Model 3SR+. In ways the Tesla is too much car, and I'll happily use it for long journeys that the GS is meant for, and I did consider getting a soul 30 instead (not because I'm unhappy with the Tesla - absolutely not at all, but it would have released £20k of cash that could be used for other things).

Your budget doesn't stretch to getting "too much" car, but i'd stretch it a little to get yourself into the later 30kWh soul. It will still have 4-5 years warranty on it, offer plenty of range and flexibility for day to day use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi @goldtop

Another vote on the Soul from me. Read on if you are interested in my story:
I bought a 30kWh Soul in early January having satisfied myself that most of my journeys are now in town and range anxiety isn't an issue.
I also initially only wanted to spend up to £10k, but found choices were somewhat limited as I wanted a BEV or a PHEV with a "decent" battery range (Ampera was the only choice within budget back then).
Fast forward a few month, I was lucky to be in a position to up my budget to get my Sept 2018 30kWh Soul. I've had it for a month now, fully charged in really cold conditions I get just under 100 miles according to the guess-o-meter.

If you do get a Soul, make sure the annual servicing is kept up for the Kia 7 yr warranty (I am sure they will still try and get out of fixing things, but try not to give them an easy excuse).

Not sure where in the country you are but on autotrader, there's a 30kWh smurf coloured one with 'higher' mileage at 36k-ish for £12.5k, but typically I'd say you are looking at the £13k mark.

Hope that helps and good luck with your hunt, whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Another option is to contact Jonathan at Eco Cars.net and see if he can pick one up for you from auction. I’d recommend Johnny Smiths feature of the “old” Soul (where he calls up Jonathan)

and Jonathan’s own YouTube feature on how he sources them (note I make a comment on this video as the one he uses as a used example is my old one that went to auction that I know missed its 2nd year service, so avoid that one, as mentioned above make sure that the Kia warranty had been kept up to date)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. Quite a consensus building for the Soul here. :) I won't start the ugly/not argument here, but the Soul and Zoe don't challenge my sense of aesthetics as much as some (ssssh - you know who!)

I see a couple of nice Souls in the Classifieds here at £13k - both newish with long warranty. Looked at private sales on Autotrader and there are not so many (lockdown, I suppose). Useful to be reminded about warranty and servicing. Ebay has a few obvious scam Soul EVs (£6000 or so, email for info BS).

Tekna Leaf seems to have a nice number of toys (as I'd be swapping from the Lexus). If I buy a Leaf, there's the possibility of degraded batteries, of course. I've discovered those YT reviews that cover dropped bars on the gauge and seen a few battery replacement companies (£5000 or so, I think). Doesn't completely scare me away, but as I'd be buying a 5ish year old one, it would be relevant.

Need to watch and read some Zoe reviews. The model name and numbering confuddles the hell out of my tiny brain, though!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. It looks a trivial job in terms of labour, but the shortage of replacement battery packs means that it's hugely expensive.

I'm still reading everything I can, but it seems that the Leaf's uncooled battery charging process means it's the only EV in which battery degradation is a widespread (inevitable, perhaps) issue for mid-life cars. So I either research it and plan for it, or avoid it.

(Mid-life meaning, I expect a car to last 20+ years: 16yo Lexus, 24yo Lexus, 28yo Honda!)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
For that extra battery capacity, a battery owned 41kWh Zoe was my pick. If you look hard enough you will find some examples under £15k that are still under the original 4-yr warranty, or you could buy off an owner like me who has just had the warranty extended for the year through Renault (this can't be done after it expires, so something to look out for if it's past it's 4th birthday).

It's then around £300/year to extend the car warranty (general consensus is to not run a Zoe without one...), while the battery will be warrantied until it' 8-yrs old/100k miles I believe.

I've been averaging 150miles all year round, with a range of 120-180miles. Activating Android Auto has made it very useable day to day, and good space in the boot. The only real sticking point is that it can only charge at either 22kW or 43kW (depending on the model) on Type 2 AC. This isn't ideal for distances >100miles.

Otherwise it's been great for me and barely cost me anything. I haven't had to pay for last 2 services, still on original wheels/brakes, cheap to insure and no problems at MOT. Value has barely moved since I bought it over 2-yrs ago so depreciation very minimal. Reckon around £500/year.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For that extra battery capacity, a battery owned 41kWh Zoe was my pick. If you look hard enough you will find some examples under £15k that are still under the original 4-yr warranty, or you could buy off an owner like me who has just had the warranty extended for the year through Renault (this can't be done after it expires, so something to look out for if it's past it's 4th birthday).

It's then around £300/year to extend the car warranty (general consensus is to not run a Zoe without one...), while the battery will be warrantied until it' 8-yrs old/100k miles I believe.

I've been averaging 150miles all year round, with a range of 120-180miles. Activating Android Auto has made it very useable day to day, and good space in the boot. The only real sticking point is that it can only charge at either 22kW or 43kW (depending on the model) on Type 2 AC. This isn't ideal for distances >100miles.

Otherwise it's been great for me and barely cost me anything. I haven't had to pay for last 2 services, still on original wheels/brakes, cheap to insure and no problems at MOT. Value has barely moved since I bought it over 2-yrs ago so depreciation very minimal. Reckon around £500/year.....
:( Cripes! I'd have assumed that without the troublesome oily (and French) thing, a Renault EV would be way cheaper to extend the warranty! Useful info.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
:( Cripes! I'd have assumed that without the troublesome oily (and French) thing, a Renault EV would be way cheaper to extend the warranty! Useful info.
Tbf given they rarely diagnose and replace components, the repairs can cost a fair bit.

It's £289 to extend from year 4-5, then I think it's £309 for 5-6. Not sure what is thereafter. Think it stays at £309.

A fairly reasonable price to me for a manufacturer warranty.

Of course it's not mandatory.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If your wallet can stretch to it, you're just about in Ioniq 28 kWh territory. Don't be fooled by the apparently small battery capacity, this is about the most efficient Ev out there, so is competitive with aerodynamically inefficient things like Leaf & Soul 40 kW cars! It also charges very fast indeed, between 60 & 65 kW up to 75% SOC before it ramps down to about 22 kW at about 85% full. Plus it's a whole lot better looking, imho...

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,518 Posts
Hi all. Found this forum and have lurked for a while, but have joined up now that I've made up my mind.

I will (post-lockdown - swap my hybrid (Lexus RX400h) for a full EV. Currently considering the Leaf, Soul and Zoe, possibly the i3 (not sure). It'd be my daily driver with a second V8-ICE car for long journeys.

Being a cheapskate, I will be buying somewhere in the £7000-10000 bracket, perhaps a bit more for a car which catches my eye. The Honda E is the type of tech I appreciate, but I can't afford the depreciation hit with new cars. So perhaps in 4-5 years...

Anyhoo, hello! :)
If you have the money it would be better to dip your toe in the water with a 2 Yr lease. Out of your initial options I would go for a 62kWh Leaf. More solid and comfortable than a Zoe or Soul and personally I would not go near any rear wheel drive EV.

ETA - Zoe is pretty small

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the money it would be better to dip your toe in the water with a 2 Yr lease. Out of your initial options I would go for a 62kWh Leaf. More solid and comfortable than a Zoe or Soul and personally I would not go near any rear wheel drive EV.

ETA - Zoe is pretty small
I don't do leases. I prefer to pay money, take the car and not sweat about any small print in the Ts & Cs of a leasing contract.

Zoe - small. Yes, swings and roundabouts on that. Easier parking, no room for bikes. Undecided...

I'll also have a look at the Ioniq - that had slipped under the radar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll take a walk-around the Kia dealer's forecourt this weekend, although I've seen plenty of ICE-Souls on the road. I don't mind its looks at all.

The Hyundai dealer is further away - might see if the local Tesco has any Ioniqs parked up on my next visit. Looks OK, except for the spoiler affectation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quite the Soul fan club here. I also recommend the 30kWh net Soul for value for money.

But with my driving profile of short journeys on fast rural roads I only get around 80 mi - 95 mi in winter depending on the temperature.

Longest journey: 420 miles up to Scotland in one day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.