Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of making the swtich to an i3. The question I cant find the answer to easily is what the range would be if you started the petrol engine early on a long journey. I have read that the advantage in this is that there is no risk of hitting the limit of the petrol engine charge delivery and thus slowing down.

The reason I ask is that I will definitely want to tour around rural Scotland a few times each year where petrol will be the only feasible power source for a few days.

TIA

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
I will definitely want to tour around rural Scotland a few times each year where petrol will be the only feasible power source for a few days.
Have you looked at Zap Map? Scotland is actually very well covered by public EV chargers. You may have to zoom in on a specific area for them to all show, but I don't imagine most places in Scotland would be difficult in a full EV anyways.

To answer your question though, which model are you looking at? There's a 60Ah and 94Ah models for the ones with range extender. And then there's a larger 120Ah battery if you wanted to go full EV and the benefits that come with that (Tax savings, the potential of longer EV range with the newer model, improved reliability etc)

·
Registered
618 Posts
We’ve had a MY2017 94ahREX (2016 launch model) for over four years and it’s been totally reliable, the REX we had for the very occasional time we need it on longer journeys (few and far between admittedly) the REX gives another 50-60 miles on top of the 110-130 (depending upon time of year) miles we get from the battery.

This is the longest we have owned a single car, and still have no desire to change it, it still makes us smile when driven and a pleasure to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look

I often stay fairly near ardtoe in a croft with no electricity - so I do think petrol may be the major source of power as I don't want to go into towns unnecessarily. I have now read that the ReX will only kick in at 25% SOC and will not charge the car up, only maintain. Some have said the emissions test trick might work to add some charge while stationary. It is a shame that the car cannot be used as a generator when required, but I guess this was crippled to please the Californian legislature and others.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
View attachment 141913

I often stay fairly near ardtoe in a croft with no electricity - so I do think petrol may be the major source of power as I don't want to go into towns unnecessarily. I have now read that the ReX will only kick in at 25% SOC and will not charge the car up, only maintain. Some have said the emissions test trick might work to add some charge while stationary. It is a shame that the car cannot be used as a generator when required, but I guess this was crippled to please the Californian legislature and others.
I'm almost certain you can easily code the i3 to hold a higher state of charge. I've seen ones that are set to hold 60% before. But yes, it is something that will hold the charge level (or slow the drain, if you are pushing the car using a lot of power) Rather than charging you up. It's important to note that this is a range extended EV rather than a plug-in hybrid. If you think you will be making much use of the engine then the latter is probably better suited to your needs, whereas the range extender is more of an emergency thing just to keep you going occasionally before your next charge.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
You could consider a Vauxhall Ampera. It's a true EV Rex, battery range abut 45 miles in summer, but unlimited petrol as 7 gallon tank & a proper 1.4L 4-cylinder ICE to back it up. But these are now going out of warranty , as sold from 2012 to about 2015/6, and you do need a proper, competent Vx dealer just-in-case. Only about 2 dozen in UK, so it's not for everyone. Unlike i3 Rex you can just drive & drive like any pure petrol car, without running low on power 'coz the battery's empty. See Ampera section under GM Motors if interested, prices start around 6-7k, a bargain imho!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's important to note that this is a range extended EV rather than a plug-in hybrid. If you think you will be making much use of the engine then the latter is probably better suited to your needs
The i3 is perfect for 99% of my driving, which is in a 30 mile radius. I just don't want another car for the 1% of longer trips.

I've looked at the PHEVs but they are all compromised for my 99% of journeys - except perhaps the prius, but the new larger battery one is hard to get in my budget.

I think it will be an i3. Always had a soft spot for it, and as a previous A2 owner, it's the natural progression.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The REX can be turned on manualy (U.K./EU version) at 75% SOC, so it gives plenty of options of when to use it, the REX engine will not charge the battery and was not designed to, it was designed to save the battery for town driving or “get you out of trouble” in the event that recharging was not possible or undesirable.

The REX will turn on automatically at about 6% SOC.......but better to not let it get that low regardless.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
No Rapid charge on Ampera sadly. 4.5 hours on a 16A EVSE's your fastest fillup. Think of it as a super-smooth car with a nearly-free gallon of petrol appearing overnight!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
The i3 is perfect for 99% of my driving, which is in a 30 mile radius. I just don't want another car for the 1% of longer trips.

I've looked at the PHEVs but they are all compromised for my 99% of journeys - except perhaps the prius, but the new larger battery one is hard to get in my budget.

I think it will be an i3. Always had a soft spot for it, and as a previous A2 owner, it's the natural progression.
Former A2 and current i3 owner here too (though mine is leased and likely to go back at the end as they want too much ££ for me to hang onto it!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI All,

In the end I bought a used Prius Plug-in Hybrid. The deal was too good to turn down, and my wife was inexplicably unimpressed with the looks of the i3. Have had the car since Sunday. The 56 mile journey to pick up the car was average 48mpg on the way there in the auris hybrid, driving carefully and 63mpg in the prius hybrid (with zero stored charge) on the way back. So the Prius system is better, perhaps due to advances in the six years or lower mileage and better bearings etc..

I have already done two days of fully electric motoring round town - love it!

Thanks for all your advice. I promise not to ICE any charging points!

Now to research home chargers, or ways to secure the provided cable to the wall so I can leave it at home...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts