Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Newbie thinking of Zoe 40kw lease

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  dk6780 
#1 ·
So I’m thinking of getting a 40kw Zoe 2017 for around 13k but paying cash . It’s on a lease battery . I do around 10k miles a year . Am I mad thinking this is going to be an expensive wnership or am I missing a good deal ? Will I be able to buy the battery in the future? I’m all ears please help . I’m coming from an owner 24 leaf

#4 ·
£20k is far too high. You can get the new 52kWh version for around £22-26k depending on trim/spec.

Anything above £17k is too expensive for a battery owned ZE40 IMO. If looking at the earlier models (around 2017) then ideally about £15k.

So I’m thinking of getting a 40kw Zoe 2017 for around 13k but paying cash . It’s on a lease battery . I do around 10k miles a year . Am I mad thinking this is going to be an expensive wnership or am I missing a good deal ? Will I be able to buy the battery in the future? I’m all ears please help . I’m coming from an owner 24 leaf
£13k is probably at the high end for a lease Zoe. Should be able to do better than that. I don't think it will be expensive, but battery owned will likely be cheaper given your mileage.

I would go on the assumption that you will never be able to buy out the battery lease.

#19 ·
£20k is far too high. You can get the new 52kWh version for around £22-26k depending on trim/spec.

Anything above £17k is too expensive for a battery owned ZE40 IMO. If looking at the earlier models (around 2017) then ideally about £15k.
Out of curiosity, my 2019 ZE40i hasn't actually depreciated since I bought it brand new during the summer. It's lost the Vat and that's it.

Looks like the prices are holding up :love: and that's using we buy any car at what would be assumed the lowest desperate for cash now price.

#6 ·
If you’re not in a position to magic up an extra £7k from thin air then this looks decent:

Reactions: cah197
#9 ·
I'm sure the member won't appreciate this, but I personally think that car is listed too high for a private seller. Appreciate its a Q90, but you can get this from a main Renault Dealer, which if paired with the finance offer of £1,000 deposit contribution would come to £11,990 and also 2 free main dealer services.

I'm sure you could haggle a bit off the price as well if you are serious about purchasing it. £500 off is likely, so it makes it £1,000 cheaper with 2 free services and from a main dealer.

Alternatively, this battery owned model is a decent price as a 19-plate model. Mileage a little high for it's age, but certainly not astronomical. Again, haggling £500 off and then using the £1,000 finance contribution, you could be looking at £16,500 for a nearly new i-model, again with 2 free services from a main dealer.

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
For battery lease 10K miles will cost you £99 a month, but it is better to go for a lower mileage (say 7500) and just pay the extra miles at end. Avoids risks of paying for miles you don't end up using.

However, IMO the £299 PCH (3+23) for a new Zoe from DSG is worth thinking about. It would cost you £5400 more than battery rental. I suspect a £12K Zoe ZE40 battery lease car will lose at least £4K over next 2 years, so you would get to drive a new Zoe with CCS for not a lot extra. The market will change over next 2 years, so I think a better option than 4 year PCP.

#15 · (Edited)
I just went thru the same process and went for a 2017 41Kwh, R110 Dynamique. 18000 miles for £10k.

I made the decision by establishing the purchase cost vs a new Zoe on PCP over 2 years.

Used Zoe
Price: £10000
Lease pa: £708
Insurance pa: £300
Depreciation Pa: £2000 (I’ll get flak for this I’m sure)

Assuming I keep the car for 2 years, sell it, that’s a total expenditure of approx £8k.

New Zoe
Deposit - £1100 ish
Lease Pa: £3228
Insurance Pa: £300
You’re insulated from the depreciation ??

After two years, you will have spent £8156

So they are very close, but you end up with nothing at the end of the PCP. Whereas with used, you might retain half the original sale value. If you keep the used car beyond four years, the net loss diminishes further compared with PCP.

All of this is is really dependant on your individual use though, milage, drivers etc..

#16 ·
ZE50 2 year PCH here for £6,627.63 (Deposit - £1,771.23 + £330 fee + 23 months at £196.80) for 8,000 miles. You can adjust mileage to be higher if needed. No battery lease required. So you'd be saving around £79 (?) per month.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Here's how I'd go about it.

I'll make the assumption that you might be keeping the car for 4 years (surely usable for much longer), and I will also consider that at the end of those 4 years the car has no value left in it - false assumption, I know, but avoids biased discussions over the value of a 7 year old car. So that's a bit over 3250 per year, for the cost of the shell, or about 270 per month. Get extended warranty, that's I believe about 300 per year, 25 per month. Add on top, I think for about 10k miles the battery rental is about 90, so your monthly cost with the car shell + battery is about 385 per month.

All other costs are pretty much similar to those of a Leaf, insurance, servicing, electricity etc. so there's no point in going through them. Since you had a Leaf before, I believe you can make a similar calculation, compare the costs of both cars and make your decision.

You will not be able to buy the battery.

#24 ·
I agree with your view that the value of the chassis will decrease significantly - although I have to say that I'm amazed that they've held up this long when there is such an incredible exit cost (£2,500 or return the battery to France) on the contract regardless of whether the car is usable.
However, what will the £20k new car be worth after the same period? 45% - around £9k would be typical after 3 years which would compare to the £5k you estimated with the £3k of battery lease. The major difference is the fact that one is new and with less likelihood of issues not covered by warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.