Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am just about to place an order for a VW ID4. I am cautious, first EV. Couple of questions; do I wait a extra month and get a car with a heat pump, it’s an extra and all the ones on route to this country don’t have them. Also although most of my journeys are well within the vehicle range, I do drive 260miles+ several times a year for holidays with a fully loaded car. What in reality are the uk charging networks like. Looking forward (nervously) coming onboard. Matt

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are many chargers in England (I can´t really speak for the other nations of the UK), they are all over the place, but before you have an EV you drive very near to them and aren´t aware they even exist.

The reliability of the chargers could be better. Be prepared in advance - download any apps, register credit cards or whatever is needed. Never arrive to a charging point with 5 miles of range left and no backup plan. Either stop with 20 miles of range left and a backup plan, or 50 miles of range left and no backup plan prepared. Do some research on the charging networks - some are better than others.

However the required planning for charging points and extra time on long trips needs to be counterbalanced by the benefit of charging at home. Many EV owners don´t have to go to a charging point for months at a time.

And then there is the smooth, quiet drive and the environmental benefit....

Go for it. You feel nervous before doing it, but once you have done it it doesn´t take long to feel like you are totally used to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts