Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm getting my new EV at the end of April, but have had the charger fitted this week.
I've not been filled with confidence by the (Government approved) installer, I won't go into details now, but wonder if someone could tell me the following:

1) What paperwork should I have been given when the unit was fitted. It is a Rolec Wallpod.( I've paid my part in full - £350) I found 3 pages from Rolec in a box of empty paint cans, should I have any other
2) What paperwork will I receive in 28 Days (I've been told I'll get some then.)

3) The unit is outside, should there be a weatherproof seal between the hole drilled in the wall the wires that are coming through into the unit, or is it ok without.

4) I've been told by the installers to leave the unit on, even though I won't get my car until the end of April/May, this is obviously costing money, but I'm not sure how much, or if I can switch the unit off. I think the installers don't get paid if the unit is switched off, does anyone know what I can do?

5) Do I need to tell my electricity suppliers or do they just know!

Thank you for your help!
Gill (I'm in the UK)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't think the unit uses any significant amount of electricity when it's idle - just enough to power a SIM to report back to OLEV (which is part of the grant conditions).

All I got from my podpoint was a booklet basically showing how to plug a car in.. nothing else. I'd be surprised if rolec give you much more.. it is, after all, a socket.

(if it's any consolation my podpoint installer didn't fill me with confidence either, especially when he put a drill through the alarm cables...)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm laughing! At least mine didn't do that! Thank you Tony. I just want my car NOW!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The installer is required to tell the local electricity supplier that he has installed an EV Charge Point within 30 days. The company is obliged to make it available but they need to ensure that the local area is serviced with enough power so that it doesn't cause supply problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Steve, that's very helpful.
I see you live in Mellieha, many years ago I worked at Mellieha bay Hotel as a rep for Thomsons, malta is such a wonderful island. I couldn't think of any where more perfect for EV's I bet there are lots of them around!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Funny you should say that - there are hardly any and yet we have 54 charge points including 3 completely free ones. I'm hoping to start importing some soon :)
I just have to persuade the Maltese to get rid of their diesel BMWs LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL good luck with trying to prise BMW keys out of anyone's hand!
At the Time I was there we were all fascinated to see really old British cars like Triumph Heralds, Ford Anglias etc in almost perfect condition on the roads in Malta, but you have fabulous weather most of the year and journeys can never be that far, so it Made sense.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
1) What paperwork should I have been given when the unit was fitted. It is a Rolec Wallpod.( I've paid my part in full - £350) I found 3 pages from Rolec in a box of empty paint cans, should I have any other
Obviously you should receive operating instructions - which it sounds like you've found.

Another important item will be the contract that you signed to get the OLEV grant. You may have done this in advance or on the day, but either way you ought to have been left with a copy so you can see what your obligations are under the contract.

2) What paperwork will I receive in 28 Days (I've been told I'll get some then.)
The important thing you should receive is the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate. You have a legal obligation to notify installation work like this to the local authority Building Control. If you do it yourself, this will cost you about £300 as they will send an inspector out to look at it, but normally if you use an electrician who is part of a competent person scheme they will notify it for you (costing them about £2) and send you the certificate.

It's important to get this certificate, as when you come to sell your house the purchaser may ask to see it and you wouldn't want to shell out the £300 or so to get it retrospectively.

3) The unit is outside, should there be a weatherproof seal between the hole drilled in the wall the wires that are coming through into the unit, or is it ok without.
Sounds not ideal, but probably OK. There's no universal requirement for sealing (and indeed making things 100% watertight can be the wrong thing to do if it allows condensation to collect), but it must be adequate for the conditions.

Realistically, if it shows any sign of collecting rainwater in the unit, then demand that they fix it; if not, then it's probably proved itself adequate.

4) I've been told by the installers to leave the unit on, even though I won't get my car until the end of April/May, this is obviously costing money, but I'm not sure how much, or if I can switch the unit off. I think the installers don't get paid if the unit is switched off, does anyone know what I can do?
You are (probably - see the contract you signed, #1 above) obliged to supply statistics of your usage back to OLEV. Equally, if you aren't using it. there aren't any statistics to report. I'd leave it on for a day or two in case they haven't finished setting it up from the other end, then turn it off until your EV arrives.

It's not a lot of electricity either way, but why waste it?

5) Do I need to tell my electricity suppliers or do they just know!
The installer should have sent a notification to the DNO (these are the people who maintain the connection from the grid to your street, not the people you buy the electricity from). That allows them to manage the situation if lots of people in your area all get EVs and would start to overload their equipment.

Normally, your electricity supplier doesn't need to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for such an excellent reply. That has really put my mind at rest, I know exactly what I need now.
Thank u again.
Gill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts