Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, basic question coming up, I am waiting for delivery of my Outlander PHEV. I understand that motorway charging points from Ecotricity will have a cable to connect to the car but other charging providers such as Source London talk about 'your own cable'. Will I have to buy a cable or is that all provided by the vehicle manufacturer? If I need a cable, any recommendations and cost guide?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I imagine that the 3-pin EVSE will be supplied. Rapid chargers have their own cable.

Given the fairly small battery capacity of the Outlander I would have thought that the 3-pin plug would be all you would need.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You get a 3-pin EVSE with the car, which will charge from empty to full in about 5 hours. If you want to use the public 'posts' then you'll need to buy a type 1 to type 2 cable, which takes about 3 hours.

I got my type 1 to type 2 cable from NuWorld Energy for £165:

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m

You can also get a 16A cable, but there have been reports of this causing problems with some 32A charging points.

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
It does seem quite expensive (!), but at least it's better than paying Mitsubishi £300 for one :p. Where I work, I can park and charge for free, saving me £15 a day in parking charges, so after 11 days it's paid for itself....:cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
At £165 let's hope it does not 'disappear' when using a public charging post.

Thanks.
Public charge cables lock into the Type 2 sockets when on charge so you're unlikely to loose the cable.

Some cables can also be locked into the vehicle with a padlock in the Type 1 vehicle connector.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just for your reference, Tony. You want a padlock with a 5mm shackle. The smaller ones allow the plug release lever to be pushed far enough down to unplug it from the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts