Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've recently had an Aldi open up nearby with 4x unidentified type-2 charge points (I'm assuming 7kw). The signage simply says "Plug in and charge while you shop" - no further instructions or information! The points themselves are smallish blue units on poles, with Newmotion by Shell logos on. They have a little LED indicator, a type 2 socket and a RFID symbol on the top. There's also a little sticker that indicates a red light = error, blue = charging, yellow = waiting for ID.

I can't for the life of me work out how to get a charge out of them. If you plug in the car, the LED lights yellow and won't charge the car. I tried swiping my Shell RFID card and the unit bleeped, light went green then red and the unit wouldn't charge. The chargers don't show on the Shell app or Zapmap, and the staff I talked to don't know how the unit works.

So, has anyone used a similar unit? How do you get them to work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The newmotion chargers here in Bridlington are great, just plug in and it charges, pretty quick too, no cards needed, that's assuming the ignoramouses in their old clapped out ICE cars haven't hogged the four clearly marked bays, signage is missing from the posts at the rear of the bays which I have spoken with Aldi HQ about, but they not bothered so shop elsewhere until they do...

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had some of the same units (though not Aldi branded) go in at our local new store.

They took several months to go live and cost 30p/kWh.

Shame they aren't free, but I suppose the way electricity is going this cost becomes more than the stores may be prepared to swallow.

My understanding is the free Aldi units should just work - so yours probably aren't on (yet).

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had some of the same units (though not Aldi branded) go in at our local new store.

They took several months to go live and cost 30p/kWh.

Shame they aren't free, but I suppose the way electricity is going this cost becomes more than the stores may be prepared to swallow.

My understanding is the free Aldi units should just work - so yours probably aren't on (yet).
The Bridlington Aldi has 4 chargers which took over 4 weeks to become live, they work well are easy to use and free, the government gave a grant towards installation and electric usage as the building is new, so free will mean free for some time to come. One knows they are working as the battery % increases on the vehicle...Hmmmm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We've recently had an Aldi open up nearby with 4x unidentified type-2 charge points (I'm assuming 7kw). The signage simply says "Plug in and charge while you shop" - no further instructions or information! The points themselves are smallish blue units on poles, with Newmotion by Shell logos on. They have a little LED indicator, a type 2 socket and a RFID symbol on the top. There's also a little sticker that indicates a red light = error, blue = charging, yellow = waiting for ID.

I can't for the life of me work out how to get a charge out of them. If you plug in the car, the LED lights yellow and won't charge the car. I tried swiping my Shell RFID card and the unit bleeped, light went green then red and the unit wouldn't charge. The chargers don't show on the Shell app or Zapmap, and the staff I talked to don't know how the unit works.

I expect yours are not commissioned yet. Our local Aldi was the same, they were there for weeks before they actually started working. Now you just plug in and charge for free no card or anything else needed. they also charge at 11kHw!

·
Registered
28 Posts

They obviously not commissioned yet, come back later and the light will turn green

·
Registered
2 Posts

I thought it was just me!
I have had a similar situation at Aldi in Southend, Essex.
The sign mentions NewMotion but then Shell Recharge comes up on my phone and tells me there is a problem!
I didn't have time to phone the number on the charger post (went on to Tesco where the 7kw connectors do work) but I did contact Aldi on their FB page.
Their suggestion was to follow the instruction on the notice!
It seems they don't know either!
I will try again today and will phone the number and see if someone can help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The sign mentions NewMotion but then Shell Recharge comes up on my phone and tells me there is a problem!
I didn't have time to phone the number on the charger post (went on to Tesco where the 7kw connectors do work) but I did contact Aldi on their FB page.
No one will help as no one but the commission people know when they go live

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried again.
One of the 2 connectors worked this time! :)
So, no app or RFID card needed, just need the connector to be working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not nymore Aldi now charge their customers and you have to have a Shell recharge account app to charge at £0.25 per kilowatt. This is due , i was told, to taxi drivers using the chargers after hours and workers from local businesses plugging in all day.
I am sure they could have a limit placed on the charge time to cut off after 45 mins or so.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
not nymore Aldi now charge their customers and you have to have a Shell recharge account app to charge at £0.25 per kilowatt. This is due , i was told, to taxi drivers using the chargers after hours and workers from local businesses plugging in all day.
I am sure they could have a limit placed on the charge time to cut off after 45 mins or so.
Don't underestimate the length people will go to for a bit of free juice. I have a friend that drives an £80k Tesla Model S and thinks nothing of sitting at a PodPoint charger and reconnecting every 15 mins rather that claim a charge or use their home charge point.

Imagine if your local pub stopped charging for beer. Great eh? Not if the queue is 10 deep and you have to wait an hour to get one, you can't get a seat, everyone is throwing up etc. I'd rather pay, take just what I need in the knowledge that the facility will not be blocked by chancers and freeloaders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't underestimate the length people will go to for a bit of free juice. I have a friend that drives an £80k Tesla Model S and thinks nothing of sitting at a PodPoint charger and reconnecting every 15 mins rather that claim a charge or use their home charge point.

Imagine if your local pub stopped charging for beer. Great eh? Not if the queue is 10 deep and you have to wait an hour to get one, you can't get a seat, everyone is throwing up etc. I'd rather pay, take just what I need in the knowledge that the facility will not be blocked by chancers and freeloaders.
bonkers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apparently, the government grant hasn't lasted long enough so as of the 1st July all Lidl chargers are chargeable..

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
74 Posts
Apparently, the government grant hasn't lasted long enough so as of the 1st July all Lidl chargers are chargeable..
Do you have a source for that? I've been trying to find out what is happening with my local Aldi chargers for ages, but no one in store or CS has mentioned this? I see them in the Shell Recharge app but no details of cost or how to start the chargers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts